Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2020, 07:19 AM

7,189 posts, read 9,325,371 times

Advertisements

Insurance premiums could spike as much as 40 percent next year, a new analysis warns, as employers and insurers confront the projected tens of billions of dollars in additional costs of treating coronavirus patients.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/h...increases.html

"With so much still uncertain about how widespread hospitalizations for coronavirus patients will be around the United States, a new analysis says premiums could increase as much as 40 percent next year if the pandemic results in millions of Americans needing hospital stays.

“Health plans went into 2020 with no hint of coronavirus on the horizon,” said Peter V. Lee, the executive director of Covered California, the state insurance marketplace created under the Affordable Care Act, which conducted the analysis. To protect businesses and individuals from sharply higher rates, he supports a temporary federal program that would cover some of these costs.

“No insurer, no state, planned and put money away for something of this significance,” Mr. Lee said."

I think this pandemic will crash the healthcare system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 08:16 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
It's already teetering, won't take much to push it off the cliff. I'm sure premiums will rise. I'm sure the Democrats willl be discussing this after the pandemic cools down a bit.

Old 03-30-2020, 06:52 AM

1,158 posts, read 961,732 times
I work for an insurance company that also administers self-funded employer sponsored ERISA plans. We already have employer groups that are laying off employees, are not able to pay employee claims or excess loss carrier premiums. I think we are going to see lots of self-funded plans go belly up leaving their employees on the hook for their medical expenses.

Old 03-30-2020, 07:01 PM

363 posts, read 350,270 times
I wonder how hard this will hit those health-sharing organizations.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:17 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
And to top it all off, “uncka Joe” just stated yesterday that if he gets to be president that he has no intention of rocking the boat with insurance companies. Trump said if he gets re-elected that he will roll out a new healthcare plan but Ive seen no evidence that it will actually happen.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:11 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
And to top it all off, “uncka Joe” just stated yesterday that if he gets to be president that he has no intention of rocking the boat with insurance companies. Trump said if he gets re-elected that he will roll out a new healthcare plan but Ive seen no evidence that it will actually happen.

I almost bet it will now because of this virus and from what i am reading some people think this virus will not go away , we will have to learn to live and co-ordinate around it . Im not sure how that would work .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance