Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2020, 10:18 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,147,064 times

Advertisements

Due to my husband being laid off, we are purchasing a health insurance plan off of the exchange. All plans have in-network providers only in Colorado.

The issue I am having is that our son attends college on the east coast. He is healthy and goes only to routine appointments when he is home (which is about 4.5 months out of the year counting summers, Christmas break, etc). Our new plan only covers Urgent Care and emergencies but nothing else if out of state. His college does not offer health plans but just has a basic student health fee that allows them access to the campus clinic for basic services. However, I am worried about the "what ifs", what if he's in a bad accident and has to be hospitalized, how would that work? Would he be covered or not? He doesn't play sports or travels away from campus much at all.

I have done an extensive search and can't find anything about this. The only advice I've seen if for my son to purchase his own plan in his college state. But since his doctors are here and his policy would be in his college state only for emergencies I am wondering if there's some type of supplemental policy we could buy for him? His college is in a small town too so there aren't many hospitals or doctors there to begin with.

I appreciate any advice as I can not find any answers. Even the health insurance broker had no advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 02:47 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,507,708 times
Didn't you already answer your question? "Urgent Care and emergencies but nothing else if out of state." IOW, not routine care which you already said he'd get while home.

What are you trying to insure against?

Old 04-27-2020, 04:42 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
What state is his college in?

Old 04-27-2020, 05:08 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,147,064 times
Son's college is in North Carolina. I've heard horror stories of insurance companies not covering a hospitalization they deem "not an emergency". That's why I was wondering if there was a supplemental policy I could buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance