Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 10:40 PM

7 posts, read 5,241 times

Advertisements

I am an American approaching retirement age. For me, AARP says this:

You can delay Medicare enrollment in Part B (and avoid its premiums) if you have health care coverage from ... [t]he public national health service of the country where you live — regardless of whether you or your spouse works for an employer or are self-employed.

AARP doesn't cite a source for this claim. Due to ambiguous wording, it is not clear whether an older AARP item repeats or contradicts it. I am having a hard time finding definitive support for, or clarification of, this claim.

I am under the impression that, normally, you have to sign up for Medicare when you turn 65 -- or else, when you do finally sign up, you will pay an additional 10% penalty on Medicare premiums for every year after turning 65 when you failed to sign up.

AARP seems to be saying that you qualify for the special enrollment period (SEP), such that you will not incur that Medicare penalty, if you are covered by the national health service of some other country. AARP seems to be saying that this exemption is for everyone so covered, regardless of employment status.

My questions:

(1) Is that true?

(2) If so, what national health services qualify? For instance, does a Latin American pensionado program qualify?

Last edited by raywood; 05-14-2020 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: Remove excessive line spacing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 09:39 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
It is a somewhat vaguely worded AARP article. I am skeptical that the loophole for paying the Medicare Part B premium would be easy to qualify for. They really want every US citizen that turns 65 to be paying into Medicare to keep it funded.

I signed up for Medicare Part A & B at age 65. I will keep paying my part B premium indefinitely, even though I am leaving the US and returning to Germany as a permanent resident in August or September. I have supplemental health insurance that covers part D from my former employer in the USA, and I can put that "on hold" while I am living outside the USA and re-enroll with no penalty if/when I return to the USA.

I have private health insurance coverage in Germany, I don't qualify for the state sponsored public option like most citizens and employed permanent residents have. Maybe some other expats living in countries where they are covered by state sponsored health plans can chime in.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:41 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Social Security has this advice for ex-pats seeking information re Medicare enrollment at
https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare/

"If you do not live in the U.S. or one of its territories you can also contact the Federal Benefits Unit that provides service to your country of residence."

The list of FBUs is at https://www.ssa.gov/foreign/foreign.htm

Also some info here https://www.medicareinteractive.org/...-living-abroad

Last edited by reed303; 06-15-2020 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance