Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 04:15 AM

2,721 posts, read 2,223,912 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of buying a house in a new state and we forgot about getting my wife signed up for Medicare. I checked ehealth and it seems like they only show some of the plans where in the past I had a lot of possible companies. Her 3 month date before she turns 65 is about two weeks away. She is getting a lot of offers back at the old address, but she will not have time to get them at the new address. I cannot change our address until we close on the house and that date is after the 3 month start date.

What website has the most complete listings of companies showing the costs for the medicare plans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 06:15 AM

167 posts, read 162,786 times
You can find a lot of info on medicare's site: https://www.medicare.gov/ Explore this site but be sure to check out the tab 'Supplements & Other Insurance'.

Also she has the three months before her birth month, her birth month, and three months after she turns 65 for a total of seven months to signup for Medicare. I looked at the site above for info then used the company Boomer Benefits to ask questions and sign up for my Medigap plan, and Plan D

I would not worry about the offers in the mail. I threw those away. All that info is available on line. Play with the Medicare site above to gather your info. There will be links to cos that offer various Medicare Plans.

Good Luck

Old 04-05-2021, 07:55 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,673,821 times
You might consider letting an agent do the legwork. When I was looking to switch medigap plans, I had to go through underwriting because of a medical condition. I found an agent who did the work of finding which companies would insure me and what the cost would be. It sure saved me a lot of time and effort

Old 04-05-2021, 02:46 PM

23,338 posts, read 18,903,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theminnow View Post
You can find a lot of info on medicare's site: https://www.medicare.gov/ Explore this site but be sure to check out the tab 'Supplements & Other Insurance'.

Also she has the three months before her birth month, her birth month, and three months after she turns 65 for a total of seven months to signup for Medicare. I looked at the site above for info then used the company Boomer Benefits to ask questions and sign up for my Medigap plan, and Plan D

I would not worry about the offers in the mail. I threw those away. All that info is available on line. Play with the Medicare site above to gather your info. There will be links to cos that offer various Medicare Plans.

Good Luck
Second this. She has a total of 7 months to sign up for Medicare and select the options she wants. A call to the SHIP office in your new state of residence could help too. Especially about specific plans and rates that apply there. SHIP info is on the Medicare website but you can also look it up here:

https://www.seniorsresourceguide.com...National/SHIP/

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-05-2021 at 03:04 PM..

Old 04-06-2021, 06:35 AM

We just realized that she never received her Medicare card. I have a new one coming, but I don't know where it will be sent. I changed her address to our new address.

Old 04-06-2021, 03:20 PM

23,338 posts, read 18,903,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
We just realized that she never received her Medicare card. I have a new one coming, but I don't know where it will be sent. I changed her address to our new address.
Your Medicare card doesn't just show up once you reach 65. She won't get a card until she enrolls (which includes selecting parts B, D, supplements, etc)! The card will show what parts she enrolled for. According to your OP she hasn't applied yet. Read the enrollment info on the Medicare website.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-06-2021 at 03:31 PM..

Old 04-07-2021, 09:35 AM

3,059 posts, read 3,326,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
You don't get a Medicare card until you apply. You will be asked questions about when coverage is to begin. The card will only show Part A and Part B coverage. You will need this information to apply at an insurance company for Plan G-N Medigap, separate Part D, or an Advantage plan.

Old 04-08-2021, 03:47 AM

I believe I got mine months before I turned 65. This was 5 years ago. I was already drawing SS so I was signed up automatically for medicare. My wife is already on SS also and she should be automatically signed up. I thought the medicare supplement companies needed the medicare number to apply for the supplemental insurance.

Old 04-08-2021, 05:39 AM

167 posts, read 162,786 times
If she was collecting Social Security 2-3 months (not sure of exact time), prior to turning 65, then she should have been signed up for Medicare automatically. I turned 65 in 3/21 and received my Medicare card in 12/20. If she has setup an account at MySocialSecurity, she can login and request a new Medicare card.
Yes the medigap Cos will need the Medicare # to signup for one of their plans. I believe you have to be enrolled in Part A and Part B medicare.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theminnow View Post
If she was collecting Social Security 2-3 months (not sure of exact time), prior to turning 65, then she should have been signed up for Medicare automatically. I turned 65 in 3/21 and received my Medicare card in 12/20. If she has setup an account at MySocialSecurity, she can login and request a new Medicare card.
Yes the medigap Cos will need the Medicare # to signup for one of their plans. I believe you have to be enrolled in Part A and Part B medicare.
She has requested a new card, but to complicate things we have moved. I changed her address to the new one, but it will not be active until we close on the new house which is 3/21 which is also the 3 month date for signing up for medicare. I did this a few days ago and hope that it may take a while to send/receiver. She will be getting quotes (by phone) soon. She started SS when she turned 62.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance