Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 07:16 PM

534 posts, read 480,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
What I don't know is how to determine if a plan is issue-age rated or community rated or attained age rated. That info doesn't seem to be anywhere.

I have in my head that my UHC Plan G is issue-age rated, but I don't know where I saw that or if I called UHC and asked. But it might be community rated. Don't know. UHC is the only one offering Plan G in my state.

Well...I just found it. AARP-UHC Plan G is community pricing rated (Premiums are the same no matter how old you are. Premiums may go up because of inflation and other factors). I guess that's good.
Does your state have a premium comparison tool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 07:34 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
What I don't know is how to determine if a plan is issue-age rated or community rated or attained age rated. That info doesn't seem to be anywhere.

I have in my head that my UHC Plan G is issue-age rated, but I don't know where I saw that or if I called UHC and asked. But it might be community rated. Don't know. UHC is the only one offering Plan G in my state.

Well...I just found it. AARP-UHC Plan G is community pricing rated (Premiums are the same no matter how old you are. Premiums may go up because of inflation and other factors). I guess that's good.
Medicare.gov of late has been listing price structures for various companies. Some states mandate issue-age. So, even though UHC generally offers only community-rated policies, in states like FL, Idaho, GA which mandate issue-age pricing, UHC policies are issue-age priced.

Currently, for its newer policy holders of community-rated policies, UHC discounts its rates through age 80. For earlier purchasers, the age was 77. After ages 77/80, everyone pays the same. Anyone purchasing UHC under 77/81 will see two rate increases a year - one for age, one for inflation. Thereafter, the annual increase is based on inflation only.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-04-2021 at 08:12 PM..

Old 05-04-2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:

It's hard to belive that AARP UHC is the only Plan G in your state. What state are you in?

Old 05-10-2021, 12:16 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Price comparison is good, but the more important factor is the stability of the insurance company you are choosing. AARP UHC Plan G is one of the most popular plans across the country. So it is not going anywhere anytime soon.

At least here in my location it is a community-rated plan. Provides some discounts based on age which will decrease each year, increasing your premium until it reaches the non-discounted rate. Also provides some discounts if both spouses are on AARP UHC. You need to talk directly to an agent to get the accurate information.

It is good to always remember that if there is any way for the health care providers and insurance companies to shaft you, they will. Their objective is to separate you from your hard earned dollars and your retirement savings. The good news is that the Medicare rules of the road keep their greed in check to some extent.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Price comparison is good, but the more important factor is the stability of the insurance company you are choosing. AARP UHC Plan G is one of the most popular plans across the country. So it is not going anywhere anytime soon.

At least here in my location it is a community-rated plan. Provides some discounts based on age which will decrease each year, increasing your premium until it reaches the non-discounted rate. Also provides some discounts if both spouses are on AARP UHC. You need to talk directly to an agent to get the accurate information.

It is good to always remember that if there is any way for the health care providers and insurance companies to shaft you, they will. Their objective is to separate you from your hard earned dollars and your retirement savings. The good news is that the Medicare rules of the road keep their greed in check to some extent.
Medigap is pretty straightforward. Collect premiums and pay whatever's left after Medicare pays. There's no reason to think State Farm, USAA, Blue Cross, Blue Shield or somebody else is going to stiff the providers. They've all been offering Medigap for a while.

Old 05-16-2021, 07:12 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
No. Their commission is determined by a % of your premium. They may get 15% of a $100 premium. They may get 25% of a $200 premium. Guess which one they may try to "sell" you. The insurance company will pay the commission, not you.

The deal here is they may sell you the higher premium to get a higher commission. They may be too lazy to tell the difference in plans. The plan with the higher premium may offer more benefits at lower cost to you depending on deductible, co pays, other factors. The plan with lower premium may require deductible then have some restrictions. They should state Max Out Of Pocket Expense.

The best plan for YOU is the best plan for YOU. There is no such thing as average. YOU are not average.

Of course they get paid to find plans which as you say, may not be the best plan for the person, it could be the plan they make more money on.

I'd personally never use a broker. I can go on the BCBS site to read about the various medigap plans. United Healthcare doesn't offer medigap plans to someone under 65 who's disabled, so I have to wait. My hub will need a UH medigap next April when he turns 65 so I'll be making a thread right before then, then we will go directly to UH's site to sign him up.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:13 AM

247 posts, read 177,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Of course they get paid to find plans which as you say, may not be the best plan for the person, it could be the plan they make more money on.

I'd personally never use a broker. I can go on the BCBS site to read about the various medigap plans. United Healthcare doesn't offer medigap plans to someone under 65 who's disabled, so I have to wait. My hub will need a UH medigap next April when he turns 65 so I'll be making a thread right before then, then we will go directly to UH's site to sign him up.
One possible course of action for someone looking into Medigap plans is for them to first do their research (maybe read a book like Medicare from Dummies) and then call their State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP), who have trained staff and volunteers to help you and provide impartial assistance.

https://www.shiptacenter.org/

Besides answering questions and providing guidance, their SHIP office should be able to provide pricing for the different Medigap plans by provider for their zip code.

In addition, some states have websites with Medigap insurance pricing. Also, there is the SERFF system that provides pricing, but it is rather cumbersome and one has to look up each insurance company individually:

https://www.serff.com/serff_filing_access.htm

Then, they could call a reputable Medicare Supplement insurer, like Boomer Benefits or MedicareNationwide, and have them answer questions, walk them through the process, and help sign them up.

One advantage of using one of these reputable brokers is that if they have any problems with their Medigap policy going forward, the broker can help them.

Last edited by CharlieAllnut; 05-17-2021 at 08:23 AM..

Old 05-21-2021, 04:53 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieAllnut View Post
One possible course of action for someone looking into Medigap plans is for them to first do their research (maybe read a book like Medicare from Dummies) and then call their State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP), who have trained staff and volunteers to help you and provide impartial assistance.

https://www.shiptacenter.org/

Besides answering questions and providing guidance, their SHIP office should be able to provide pricing for the different Medigap plans by provider for their zip code.

In addition, some states have websites with Medigap insurance pricing. Also, there is the SERFF system that provides pricing, but it is rather cumbersome and one has to look up each insurance company individually:

https://www.serff.com/serff_filing_access.htm

Then, they could call a reputable Medicare Supplement insurer, like Boomer Benefits or MedicareNationwide, and have them answer questions, walk them through the process, and help sign them up.

One advantage of using one of these reputable brokers is that if they have any problems with their Medigap policy going forward, the broker can help them.

Thanks so much. I saved it in my email draft for when my hub turns 65 April 2022. I'm sure I'll be making a thread in December to get my ducks in a row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance