Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 05:35 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,692,561 times

Advertisements

Hi, my Wife received a $2K bill from the hospital that insurance denied the claim for an ER visit.

Wife went to the ER the day of my last day of employment so I had to call out that day. Wondering if this is why insurance claim was denied.

It was my understanding that insurance is valid till the end of the month of your last month employed at a company. Is that correct?

Should I reach out to the hospital the bill came from to dispute the claim or the insurance company?

If have to dispute with the insurance company any advice?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 05:41 PM

19,015 posts, read 27,574,271 times
Start with HR
Then insurance. Usually, it's some procedural missing piece of verification.
Some insurances will cover only in network ERs and out of network requires prior auth. What they will but, someone at ER should have called and done that, if that's the case.

I remember when we were assigned to the UW Hospital here, and I went to Valley Medical, as son broke both wrists and they were 20 min away, while UW was an hour drive. Not only they held him without pain medication for 8 hrs, as it required PCP consent for the 2nd shot but, also, we ended with $16K bill from them. Didn't pay it but took few months of the nervous fight with them.
Got to be careful with that stuff.

Old 06-27-2021, 05:50 PM

Okay appreciate that! Ouch $16K! The ER should be in network it's the same hospital network I worked for.

Old 06-27-2021, 06:03 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,499,662 times
Most employers have an employee handbook that covers things like policies, time off, and may have information about your health coverage.

For information about why that specific claim was denied I would start by calling your health insurance and asking. The answer might be completely different from what you are assuming.

Old 06-27-2021, 06:47 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
So... is is 2K or 16K - you've stated both.

Old 06-27-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
Most employers have an employee handbook that covers things like policies, time off, and may have information about your health coverage.

For information about why that specific claim was denied I would start by calling your health insurance and asking. The answer might be completely different from what you are assuming.
Plan on it

Just wasn't sure if some Federal law missing

Thanks

Old 06-27-2021, 08:26 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,463,917 times
You should have received an EOB - explanation of benefits statement - which will state the reason for denial. When I worked, my employer's health insurance was paid through the first Friday of the month - but that was in 2009 and specific to that employer. These days I have read of health insurance terminating with the employment - but you weren't effectively off their payroll until the day following your wife's ER admission.

Also, coverage can be denied for ER if there was not a compelling reason for the visit. This is very subjective and a relatively new wrinkle used by some plans to cut costs.

Recent thread on that issue, here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/heal...er-policy.html

Effectively, they're hoping you don't appeal the decision.

Old 06-27-2021, 08:35 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,204,879 times
My employer takes 2 payments a month our of our pay and insurance would therefore only continue until it was time to pay again.

Old 06-27-2021, 11:13 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Ditto on Ariadne questions. What does the EOB give for the denial?

As for your employment status, if covered under COBRA, she can control her insurance termination date. Although your employment may have ended, if the employment is covered under COBRA, she has the right to elect continued converge without any gaps.

Now, the missing piece is the nature of her ER visit. If it wasn't a legitimate ER visit applying reasonable contemporary need base standards, insurance companies usually have the right to deny.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:19 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,499,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Also, coverage can be denied for ER if there was not a compelling reason for the visit. This is very subjective and a relatively new wrinkle used by some plans to cut costs.

Recent thread on that issue, here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/heal...er-policy.html
This is what I wondered about, too. It may have nothing to do with OP's employment status, and everything to do with the ER visit itself. OP needs to call his insurance and get more information to determine why the claim was denied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance