Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 09:02 AM

37 posts, read 38,223 times

Advertisements

My mother had a stroke. She's at a rehab center as a short-term patient now but her allowance under Medicare will soon be up so we have to decide whether to transfer her to Long Term Care. She cannot take care of herself now and based on the conversations I have had with various parties, it doesn't seem likely that the government will approve 24/7 home care. My wife and I both work full time and there's no way we can provide adequate care for my mom. So at this point it looks likely our best option will be long term care.

The center is asking for the social security payments she gets every month. They say that money will go to the center except for a small monthly allowance.

I asked for some brochure or booklet from them that has information that explains things but they say they don't have anything like that. (Seems like a pretty normal thing an organization would have, no?)

I wanna ask y'all if you know what the arrangement is in these situations?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 09:03 AM

106,637 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies888 View Post
My mother had a stroke. She's at a rehab center as a short-term patient now but her allowance under Medicare will soon be up so we have to decide whether to transfer her to Long Term Care. She cannot take care of herself now and based on the conversations I have had with various parties, it doesn't seem likely that the government will approve 24/7 home care. My wife and I both work full time and there's no way we can provide adequate care for my mom. So at this point it looks likely our best option will be long term care.

The center is asking for the social security payments she gets every month. They say that money will go to the center except for a small monthly allowance.

I asked for some brochure or booklet from them that has information that explains things but they say they don't have anything like that. (Seems like a pretty normal thing an organization would have, no?)

I wanna ask y'all if you know what the arrangement is in these situations?

Thanks
it depends on assets if any

Old 11-05-2021, 10:01 AM

9,117 posts, read 6,170,326 times
Are you looking at assisted living or skilled nursing care?

Old 11-05-2021, 10:05 AM

37 posts, read 38,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Are you looking at assisted living or skilled nursing care?

All they say is "long term care." I don't know if that is assisted living or skilled nursing care. Is assisted living the one that's more intensive?

My mom cannot walk or get up to go to bathroom. And she needs a lot of help to eat puree food. So is that considered assisted living?

Old 11-05-2021, 10:37 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,882,899 times
Yes in my experience they take everything unless the spouse or a disabled dependent child is in the picture. They'll take everything but the dust underneath your bathroom sink. Social security, pension, disability everything.

In the case of my grandfather they couldn't take everything though because my grandmother was disabled and still alive at the time. So they took about half or something like that.

But it's worth it, because if the facility is good you want your parents to spend their final days in dignity and not in squalor.

Old 11-05-2021, 02:16 PM

15,831 posts, read 14,469,933 times
If she has any assets, look into something called Community Medicaid. There's much more flexibility in dealing with / keeping assets, and they will pay for home care.

Old 11-05-2021, 02:20 PM

106,637 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If she has any assets, look into something called Community Medicaid. There's much more flexibility in dealing with / keeping assets, and they will pay for home care.
Here in New York the requirements are the same as Medicaid .community Medicaid is health insurance combined with long term care.

In order to be eligible for both types of Medicaid in 2019, an individual must be disabled or age 65 or older, and can have no more than $15,450 in non-exempt resources ($22,800 for a married couple who are both receiving Medicaid

Old 11-05-2021, 03:08 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,563,439 times
You might also want to post in the retirement board here. There is a sub group for insurance questions.

Old 11-05-2021, 05:30 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies888 View Post
All they say is "long term care." I don't know if that is assisted living or skilled nursing care. Is assisted living the one that's more intensive?

My mom cannot walk or get up to go to bathroom. And she needs a lot of help to eat puree food. So is that considered assisted living?
No, that's more than assisted living. That's straight up nursing home/long-term care. Usually one is admitted based on one's assets/income. When the assets are depleted, an application is made to Medicaid for Title XIX care.

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/prog...s/medicaid.pdf

The nursing home/long-term care facility should be very well-versed in how to transition her through the process into Title XIX. If they aren't, she's in the wrong place.

If she has assets - such as a home to sell - she will in a better position to choose the facility.

If she immediately needs Medicaid/Title XIX, there will be fewer choices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
You might also want to post in the retirement board here. There is a sub group for insurance questions.
This is the Insurance Forum linked at the top of the Retirement Forum page.

Old 11-05-2021, 06:31 PM

15,831 posts, read 14,469,933 times
The difference is that the look back period for traditional Medicaid is 5 years. For Community Medicaid, it's 30 days.

And this is NY specific

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Here in New York the requirements are the same as Medicaid .community Medicaid is health insurance combined with long term care.

In order to be eligible for both types of Medicaid in 2019, an individual must be disabled or age 65 or older, and can have no more than $15,450 in non-exempt resources ($22,800 for a married couple who are both receiving Medicaid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance