Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2022, 10:55 AM

37,760 posts, read 46,236,906 times

Advertisements

I will be retiring at the end of March and losing my group health care.
I have already done the Medicare part B application and am now looking for the right Part D and a supplemental plan.

For the Part D - it looks like "Silverscript" is the cheapest, but I cannot see what pharmacies participate. Is that information available somewhere? (If it is I have missed it.)

FWIW, I rarely need a prescription - maybe an antibiotic every couple of years - so I really don't have any specific drugs that I am concerned about, at least not at this point.

Thanks for any advice on this. Part D "stuff" is all new to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 06:10 PM

3,097 posts, read 3,376,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I will be retiring at the end of March and losing my group health care.
I have already done the Medicare part B application and am now looking for the right Part D and a supplemental plan.

For the Part D - it looks like "Silverscript" is the cheapest, but I cannot see what pharmacies participate. Is that information available somewhere? (If it is I have missed it.)

FWIW, I rarely need a prescription - maybe an antibiotic every couple of years - so I really don't have any specific drugs that I am concerned about, at least not at this point.

Thanks for any advice on this. Part D "stuff" is all new to me.
Since you are healthy you can find a Silverscript plan with a low monthly premium.

The next step is to make a To Do list with any of your prescriptions, when they are due for refill, when it expires, and any cost information. Next time you go to the doctor have them make a list with everything. The point of the To Do list is you can allow up to 2 weeks to fill prescription without any hassle.

Now you enter this information in the Silverscript website. You will have to enter the zip code to find providers in your area. For seldom or rarely needed items you have a choice to do mail order.

For the pharmacies in your area they may list Walgreen, CVS, Kroger, Publix, etc. If you shop at these stores OK to ask at the pharmacy what they take. Kroger may be preferred over Walgreen. You may find pricing information comparing the 2 stores or the mail order.

The formulary will determine what items the company will pay for. Maybe you will need something else, a generic instead of name brand, maybe different dose, maybe different quantity for 1 to 3 months. Sometimes at the pharmacy it takes time to get something in stock. If you do 3 months wait 60 days before you can get more.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:40 PM

5,448 posts, read 3,543,282 times
CVS and CVS/Caremark. However when I use the "locate pharmacy" function on the website it shows me other pharmacies too. In fact, I have my grocery store as my preferred pharmacy but I haven't used my Part D yet. I only take 2 drugs, one is free at my grocery store and one is only $6 a month with the GoodRX card. I only have the Part D because it's "required" to have it.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:57 PM

810 posts, read 878,689 times
I have Silverscript SmartRx which is $7.50/month in 2022. Silverscript is owned by Aetna which is owned by CVS. My notes from researching plans last year say that CVS is Preferred In-Network (makes sense, since they own it); Rite Aid is Standard In-Network; and Walgreens in Out of Network. I don't know if this varies by state/zip code, it might. I didn't write down the supermarket pharmacies because I prefer to use CVS. Silverscript has a USA call center which was also a plus.

They are doing an update to Medicare.gov right now, but that is where I researched Drug Plans. Include all the pharmacies you are interested in and it will show if they are in or out of network. You might have to put in the name of any drug as a placeholder to see results with pharmacies. I didn't need any drugs but signed up for Part D so as not to incur a penalty. Very happy with the low monthly premium of $7.50. Not taking social security yet so I paid the entire year ($90) at once - on their website with a credit card. I think it gives the option of paying 1,3,6, or 12 months. Hope this helps.

Old 01-26-2022, 06:19 AM

470 posts, read 765,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Add a drug on the Medicare Plan Finder as a placeholder. You then select up to 5 pharmacies at a time. The list of plans may be in a different order now. Find the SmartRx plan and go to the details page. If you selected an out-of-network pharmacy like Walgreens, it will have a link to see all preferred pharmacies for that particular plan.

You can use discount programs like GoodRx and Singlecare when they are cheaper but they don't get applied to the PDP deductible unless you mail in the receipts.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Since you are healthy you can find a Silverscript plan with a low monthly premium.

The next step is to make a To Do list with any of your prescriptions, when they are due for refill, when it expires, and any cost information. Next time you go to the doctor have them make a list with everything. The point of the To Do list is you can allow up to 2 weeks to fill prescription without any hassle.

Now you enter this information in the Silverscript website. You will have to enter the zip code to find providers in your area. For seldom or rarely needed items you have a choice to do mail order.

For the pharmacies in your area they may list Walgreen, CVS, Kroger, Publix, etc. If you shop at these stores OK to ask at the pharmacy what they take. Kroger may be preferred over Walgreen. You may find pricing information comparing the 2 stores or the mail order.

The formulary will determine what items the company will pay for. Maybe you will need something else, a generic instead of name brand, maybe different dose, maybe different quantity for 1 to 3 months. Sometimes at the pharmacy it takes time to get something in stock. If you do 3 months wait 60 days before you can get more.
Thanks for the response… I have no prescriptions - none. I was able to figure out how to see what pharmacy they accept though. I think I’ll pass on the silverscript one as it shows my closest pharmacy to be “out of network”. Only $11 a month for the one I am picking… So I am good with that.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
Add a drug on the Medicare Plan Finder as a placeholder. You then select up to 5 pharmacies at a time. The list of plans may be in a different order now. Find the SmartRx plan and go to the details page. If you selected an out-of-network pharmacy like Walgreens, it will have a link to see all preferred pharmacies for that particular plan.

You can use discount programs like GoodRx and Singlecare when they are cheaper but they don't get applied to the PDP deductible unless you mail in the receipts.
Yes I figured that out lol. I gave up, went back in later and tried entering just an antibiotic, and then I could see the pharmacies. Walgreen’s is my preferred, so that is what I was looking for. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance