Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 07:16 PM

533 posts, read 479,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
USAA's insurance products, including Medicare plans, are limited to those with a qualifying military relationship.
I don't believe that's necessarily correct. One can call and ask.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/insuran...kredirect=true

USAA's property and casualty insurance is absolutely limited, but I thought the life insurance (which the Medigap is operated under) was open to whoever, like the banking products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2022, 09:57 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeej View Post
I don't believe that's necessarily correct. One can call and ask.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/insuran...kredirect=true

USAA's property and casualty insurance is absolutely limited, but I thought the life insurance (which the Medigap is operated under) was open to whoever, like the banking products.
From a question posed in the link you posted above, with regard to USAA product & services eligibility:

"USAA products are available to military members, veterans who have an Honorable discharge and their eligible family members. These groups include: • Active, retired, separated officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. military. • Officer candidates in commissioning programs (Academy, ROTC, OCS/OTS). • Adult children of USAA members who have established membership • Widows and widowers of USAA members who have or had a USAA auto or property insurance policy. • Former USAA Property & Casualty members."

Some of USAA's non-insurance products (like banking and investment services) were open to the general public at one time, but the same military-relationship was applied to those products about 8-10 years ago. Those without the required military relationship who had established accounts were grandfathered.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:21 AM

469 posts, read 761,065 times
Thumbs down to Cigna. If you search for "Cigna" in the second link of post #3, you will see their American Retirement Life Insurance (ARLI) subsidiary followed by their CHLI subsidiary. Companies like Cigna and Mutual of Omaha shuffle through multiple subsidiaries to keep premiums low for new enrollees but they can increase substantially once that book of business closes.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:35 AM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
What am I missing here? How does a Medigap provider have any influence on your health care? AFAIK, Medicare is the sole "decider" of what's covered, what's not, etc. The Supplemental provider has to, repeat HAS TO, follow whatever Medicare decides. Their only role is to supplement your payments. And they have no flexibility in that. Whatever the policy is--Plan G, Plan E, etc--that's what they do.

Again, what am I missing in your question?
Sounds to me like you are missing that there are huge differences in pricing of plans, and customer service.
Pretty simple.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:59 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Sounds to me like you are missing that there are huge differences in pricing of plans, and customer service.
Pretty simple.
Pricing is always an issue, and one has to assume people shop for plans. Plus every state, even every zip code, can vary, based on local experience ratings. There is NO WAY we can answer in a public forum which pricing works for the OP.

Customer Service: As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing. Everything I do thru Medicare stays with Medicare. I have never, NEVER, had BCBSTX (my Medigap provider) say a word to me. They just send their bill each quarter.

Old 03-14-2022, 08:03 AM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Pricing is always an issue, and one has to assume people shop for plans. Plus every state, even every zip code, can vary, based on local experience ratings. There is NO WAY we can answer in a public forum which pricing works for the OP.
So then you answer with THAT. I don't get people that say "what am I missing" when you know darn well what the proper answer is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip;63079370
Customer Service: As far as I'm concerned, [B
there is no such thing[/b]. Everything I do thru Medicare stays with Medicare. I have never, NEVER, had BCBSTX (my Medigap provider) say a word to me. They just send their bill each quarter.
I suggest that you are naive. Many people have issues with their medigap providers. I had to contact my parent's plan provider many many times on their behalf.

Old 03-14-2022, 08:29 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
So then you answer with THAT. I don't get people that say "what am I missing" when you know darn well what the proper answer is.

I suggest that you are naive. Many people have issues with their medigap providers. I had to contact my parent's plan provider many many times on their behalf.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of issues have your parents had with their medigap provider that have required many many times of contact?

Old 03-14-2022, 08:43 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:

Customer Service: As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing. Everything I do thru Medicare stays with Medicare. I have never, NEVER, had BCBSTX (my Medigap provider) say a word to me. They just send their bill each quarter.
My wife and I have been retired for 8 years and we have contacted customer service once and that was about pricing on my plan when we moved from Florida to Tennessee. Other than that, just like you, Medicare pays their part and the supplement automatically picks up their part. Never had any problems that required us to contact them, even with my wife's extremely expensive cancer treatments.

Last edited by JRR; 03-14-2022 at 09:06 AM..

Old 03-14-2022, 09:47 AM

1,489 posts, read 790,661 times
I vote for Anthem. I have plan G and pay the first $233 per year and everything after that is paid for.

Old 03-14-2022, 10:43 AM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Just out of curiosity, what kind of issues have your parents had with their medigap provider that have required many many times of contact?
Second that. Chessie, what issues exactly required you to contact the Medigap? Most here never do except when moving or changing method of payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance