Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 11:57 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times

Advertisements

First, a bit of background: I will be losing my health insurance through my retirement-incentive, mostly-employer-paid plan (my cost is $130/month for comprehensive coverage although HMO-style -- that has never been an issue for me) once Medicare starts, which is 12/1/23.

I am 99% sure something weird is going on with my thyroid, so I wanted to get it tested and didn't want to wait until 12/1/23. So I tried to go to my regular PCP to get HER to refer me to the lab -- but she has left the practice, so I had to pick a NEW PCP, so I did -- BUT that won't go into effect until 12/1/23. So useless for me.

So my only option appeared to be Telehealth, which is a $20 co-pay with my insurance (Cigna). The visits appeared to be 15 minutes long, or maybe 10 minutes with 5 minutes in between (so scheduled 15 minutes apart). Most, oddly to me, were late at night -- we're talking 10, 11 p.m. Luckily, I was able to snag one for yesterday, Monday 11/20/23, at 5:30 p.m.

So I describe my symptoms and she says she will make a lab referral for me. She is clearly about to "sign off" the call when we have been on the phone for literally just under 5 minutes. I say, "Oh, so these visits are only 5 minutes?" She seems taken aback that I'm actually saying this, but hemmed and hawed and asked me if I had questions. I did. She said we could talk more after I've gone to the lab and she has my results. Phone call over.

Within a few minutes, I get the lab referral -- to a lab that is more than an hour's drive from me, even though there is a Quest lab -- which is about 5 minutes from my house -- that she could have used if she had just looked at my address. She didn't ask me which I wanted, and I assumed -- stupidly, as it turns out -- that OF COURSE since she knew my address, she'd send me to the one that's basically just down the street. But no.

So I had to spend more time on the phone with MDLive trying to get it switched -- but luckily I got someone who was very helpful, and I WAS able to switch it, and I have a lab appointment for a week from today, Tuesday 11/28.

I know my sample size of 1 isn't representative of ANYTHING ... but wow, I was disappointed.

Anyone had better experiences? Or is this what we need to get used to in the insane U.S. healthcare system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 12:53 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I know my sample size of 1 isn't representative of ANYTHING ... but wow, I was disappointed.

Anyone had better experiences? Or is this what we need to get used to in the insane U.S. healthcare system?
I had a Telehealth call that went very smoothly. So much probably depends on the nature of the problem and what you need from the appointment.

FWIW: I was on a road trip away from home and suspected a shingles outbreak on my face. I'd had the same thing many years before so was familiar with the earliest symptoms. A shingles flare on your trunk is bad enough, but an outbreak on the face puts you at risk for Bell's Palsy, eye damage and vision loss. Over the next 12 hours it progressed pretty predictably so I called to get an anti-viral prescription. Once all the personal info/insurance procedural questions were completed (probably the majority of the time spent) the provider was efficient, knowledgeable, and arranged a prescription pickup from a pharmacy less than a mile from the hotel I was staying at. Everything went off without a hitch.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-21-2023 at 02:01 PM..

Old 11-23-2023, 04:25 AM

Parnassia, glad yours went well! I was quite disappointed in mine. I am looking forward to choosing a PCP through Medicare when that starts on 12/1 ... 1 week from tomorrow!

Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Old 11-26-2023, 04:10 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Back in September/Oct. I got the flu. Toward the end, I thought I was good and then started vomiting alot. I called one of the on call Telehealth people and she called me back at the right time. After explaining my situation, she sent over an Rx to CVS for something to stop the vomiting. So I rushed out to the CVS and found out it was something I already had at home. What a waste of time and money.

Old 11-27-2023, 05:47 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Back in September/Oct. I got the flu. Toward the end, I thought I was good and then started vomiting alot. I called one of the on call Telehealth people and she called me back at the right time. After explaining my situation, she sent over an Rx to CVS for something to stop the vomiting. So I rushed out to the CVS and found out it was something I already had at home. What a waste of time and money.
Just because you didn't know or couldn't remember what was in your bathroom cabinet doesn't mean the Telehealth call was a waste. The provider can't see the contents of your cupboards through the phone/computer.

Old 11-28-2023, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Just because you didn't know or couldn't remember what was in your bathroom cabinet doesn't mean the Telehealth call was a waste. The provider can't see the contents of your cupboards through the phone/computer.
^^^ This! Sorry, AZgarden, but I too was puzzled as to why you blamed it on the Telehealth provider because you didn't remember what was in your cabinet.

I was annoyed at my provider because she was ending our appointment so quickly (started wrapping up after <5 minutes) and gave me a referral to a lab that was so far away, when she should have been able to see that there was a Quest lab in my town. She just didn't seem to care. I had to call MD Live back to get my lab appointment changed.

That appointment is at 10 a.m. today, a few hours away. By the time I get the results, I expect that I will be on Medicare with a supplement and drug plan (those all go into effect this Friday 12/1/23). So hopefully no more Telehealth, although I realize my bad experience might not be typical.

Old 11-28-2023, 05:10 AM

4,845 posts, read 3,272,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

I expect your experience is a lot more common than it should be.

Old 11-29-2023, 06:08 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Do you want to share the name of the telehealth you used? I assume it was found via your health insurance?

I was doing telehealth appointments during COVID but it was with my two doctors. I liked the option to do them but they have put an end to telehealth.

The days my GP couldn't fit me in, I would do urgent care that's a mile away.

Old 11-30-2023, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I expect your experience is a lot more common than it should be.
Alas, you may be right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Do you want to share the name of the telehealth you used? I assume it was found via your health insurance?

I was doing telehealth appointments during COVID but it was with my two doctors. I liked the option to do them but they have put an end to telehealth.

The days my GP couldn't fit me in, I would do urgent care that's a mile away.
My Telehealth visit was through my insurer, Cigna, via MDLive. I got my test results yesterday and realized that the doctor had only asked for T4 (to check for hypothyroidism) and CBC -- NOT T3 as well (to check for hyperthyroidism). Aaaggghh.

I can see how a Telehealth visit with your OWN doctor would be different, as presumably he/she would be very familiar with you and your health. My Medicare, Medigap supplement, and drug plan start TOMORROW, although the letter from my supplement (UHC) says it will begin when they get my first premium payment -- but they won't TAKE that from my checking account until the 5th of the month, so next Tuesday 12/5/23 in my case. I will call them to check on that as it doesn't make sense that I would lose 5 days of coverage because of their date to take funds.

(Incidentally, I also got a COBRA letter telling me I could continue the coverage that I previously got through my employer for $130/month through 11/30/23 ... but now it would cost me $908 a month!! Holy crap!! Our medical insurance system is INSANE!!)

Old 11-30-2023, 04:11 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,875,918 times
Your coverage starts on the 1st. My Medigap pymts are on the 3rd and always have been. I also have a new policy (dental) starting on January 1 even though the pymts (auto deduction) start on the 3rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance