Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 10:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
I'm on Social Security, I'll answer whatever questions I can answer for you.

It does not take 2 years, it takes a minimum of 6 months. You cannot be able to work any kind of job, so if you can do a sitting job then you can work.

You will need many years of medical history to prvide to SS abd they will alos have a Dr. look at you as well. In my case they didn't send me to a independant Dr. butin a lot of cases they send you to a Dr.

I know some people who have been denied over and over. In some cases you can get approved in the first try which is 6 months. During that 6 months, if you were looking for work, it shows you can work and not as bad off as in need of SS.

Now as soon as you apply for SS, weather you qualify or not they will have you apply for some program right away weather you qualify or need. They will see if you qualify for that as well. I did not but they make everyone apply just the same.

Minimum is 6 month wait and although I was approved right away, depending on what is wrong w/ you, you may wait a long time and also depending on how long you have been out of work. Like I left work because of my illness, did you leave your job because of your illness? They do an interview w/ you and find out all kinds of questions and all those things determine if you qualify. Like you looking for work says you can work.

Sorry to be so blunt and I am not trying to discourage you at all. They will say you can find a job sitting down. That is how they operate.

There is another option of going to a SS attorney.

Oh no, no, no, this is not true for everyone, I have heard a hundred different stories from people and mine is. I have Lupus, fibromyalgia, spinal stenosis, Graves Disease, 3 herniated disks in my lower back and need both knees replaced. I applied for SS disability 4 years ago and was turned down, I didnt know I could challenge that till 2 years ago. I applied again and was turned down. A very nice man from the SS disability office told me (off the record of course) that "someone who was in my shoes might not let being turned down stop me, and that maybe if that someone got a lawyer it might go their way. LOL...He also informed me that finishing my application in a timely manner might be in my best intrest because there might only be 5 days left before some time period was up and I could not ever hope after that to be approved. Holy crap if he hadnt told me that i would have taken longer to fill out the paperwork because it took forever to do it myself. I finished the paperwork in time and got denied like he said i probably would but then I got a lawyer who doesnt get paid unless I do. It will be almost 2 years ago that I applied. I am having a hearing in March, they are not sending me to an independant doctor but they will have a vocational proffessional there although they decided to have the hearing before I was diagnosed with Lupus. The hearing is pointless. I cannot sit, stand, walk, type etc. The lupus is affecting my brain and i cannot look at text or bright light, I also hallucinate and hear voices. I cant do any kind of work but yet its been almost 2 years now. I think they try and wait you out because most people cannot hang out for 2 years with no work or money BUT I havent worked for 13 years because of an accident at work i was on L&I for 7 years and my husband is an electrician and makes plenty of money to support us. My lawyer said they will have to pay me from the time I first applied which is 4 years ago at $1500 per month. they will be paying me like $72000 and for 2 of those 4 years one of my children was under 18 so I will get money for him as well. I have to pay the lawyer $6000 of the money but wow pretty good huh!

Anyways, the point was Every case is different but i really havent heard of it ever taking 6 months, you are very lucky if it only took that long!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 05:30 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,010,703 times
I applied in Jan. a few years ago and got my first check in July of same year. Scared me to death, though I was on my last leg to get approved so quickly. Guess I'm one of those lucky ones. No lawyer involved, did paperwork myself.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I know people who it took two eyars and others that were approved first time and pretty quickly. i think perhaps it depends on the disabity from what I have seen.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:09 PM

22 posts, read 27,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTenor View Post
Are you asking about Social Security disability benefits?

You do not have to be half dead to qualify, but, in general, you do have to be unable to work. This means that not only are you unable to perform your former job, but you must be unable to perform any job that exists in significant numbers in the national economy.
This.

I started receiving SSI in 2004 at 16 years old.. my social worker applied on my behalf. (I was a foster child)
I recall the SS worker saying 'she will never get it and even if she does it will never be the full amount".. 9 months later, full approval, full benefits.

I started working shortly there after and was removed. In 2010, I was in an accident (vehicle) and again, applied. It took until September of 2012 to get it back.. with TWO denials.

I hired a disability advocate who appealed my last denial.. and 3 weeks to the day later I got approved on the SAME information they had to begin with!
(It only cost me 8 freaking k)

I am neither dead nor foot in the door that I know of.

My three approval letters (SSI, SSDI DAC) state something to the effect of due to her combination of mental and physical ailments, XX could not reasonably obtain or maintain any job, and the jobs that she could do are so few and far between, she will never have substantial employment.

I am entitled to medicare now (at 25 which confuses people) exclusively because I receive SSDI-- I do not receive SSI in any capacity.

On the flipside I had a friend who at 35 had stage 4 lung cancer that metaed to her liver kidneys and lymphs.. she died during the appeals process.

There is no rhyme or reason to disability, but my best advice is to hire an attorney the second you get denied. You will pay a portion of your 'back pay' to them (up to 25%) but its well worth it if you have no other options.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:12 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFG View Post

On the flipside I had a friend who at 35 had stage 4 lung cancer that metaed to her liver kidneys and lymphs.. she died during the appeals process.

There is no rhyme or reason to disability, but my best advice is to hire an attorney the second you get denied. You will pay a portion of your 'back pay' to them (up to 25%) but its well worth it if you have no other options.
shocking and whatever person/agency denying this person help should be ashamed. Very ashamed.

Sorry about all your troubles and the loss of your young friend.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
One thing that I was told and that makes no sense but it is inside information and is true. The state in which you live has some influence as to whether or not you are awarded benefits or denied and how fast it happens. I applied and it took a year but finally received benefits.

During the course of my appeal after being turned down twice, I just happened to run into a young man who came to my door soliciting for some animal rights organization. We started chatting and I told him although I used to support the group I could no longer afford to because I couldn't work and was living on savings. I also mentioned I had applied for SSD and had been turned down.

Well, the young man told me that his wife used to work for the SSD office here in Oregon and that where you lived mattered. In fact, he told me that the state of Oregon had a reputation for being the worst when it came to allowing benefits. He also said it had many lawsuits pending against it by other states because if its underhanded practice in this matter. Little known fact. But it definitely had the most denials.

Now here is the kicker. Remember I said his wife had worked for this office? Well about a year before she had been in a terrible car accident which had rendered her unable to work. She applied for SSD benefits. Do you even have to guess? Yep! She was denied even though she knew all the right way to state her case and was truly disabled after many surgeries and a lot of pain. She could not walk or function at a desk long enough to do a job.

He told me that since it was actually a federal government funded issue, an applicant could request a change of venue for a hearing and that is what they were going to do. I think he said the two best states for a hearing were Idaho and DC.

I eventually was awarded benefits in Oregon but I had hired an attorney and one day we got the okay it seemed out of the blue. The attorney suspected that it was because I was pretty close to full retirement age where they cut you off and put you on regular SS so was no skin off their nose anyway.

Pretty sneaky. But to the OP, just keep trying. And document, document, document.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:28 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,876 times
In Hawaii----it helps if the Disability Judge knows/went to school with your disability attorney. And to seal the deal go to see their buddy the Doctor. Trifecta-they all make money, and so you will eventually get it after an appeal.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:48 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Old thread, but going to respond anyway. SS has a list of disabilities (I don’’t have a link, just experience) that they consider disabling enough to qualify. If you’re disability is on that list, and their doctor confirms it, you will be approved easily without the need for a lawyer, or for your lawyer to have an inside deal with a judge. If your condition is not on that list, or is some new thing nobody has heard of, or knows what it is, then you’re going to have to convince them that your condition(s) qualify you for benefits. Those are the ones that need lawyers and doctors, and whatever else to prove your claim. That’’s how it works.

Edit to add the list: https://www.ssa.gov/disability/profe...ltListings.htm

Old 04-26-2021, 06:51 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,902,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Old thread, but going to respond anyway. SS has a list of disabilities (I don’’t have a link, just experience) that they consider disabling enough to qualify. If you’re disability is on that list, and their doctor confirms it, you will be approved easily without the need for a lawyer, or for your lawyer to have an inside deal with a judge. If your condition is not on that list, or is some new thing nobody has heard of, or knows what it is, then you’re going to have to convince them that your condition(s) qualify you for benefits. Those are the ones that need lawyers and doctors, and whatever else to prove your claim. That’’s how it works.

Edit to add the list: https://www.ssa.gov/disability/profe...ltListings.htm
Not true, our adult daughter is non-functional, her condition is on the list, she has been diagnosed by three different doctors and declared unable to work. She has been declined twice and we are on out third appeal.

Old 04-27-2021, 04:40 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Not true, our adult daughter is non-functional, her condition is on the list, she has been diagnosed by three different doctors and declared unable to work. She has been declined twice and we are on out third appeal.
Strange. I was approved right away because my condition was on the list, AND their doctor confirmed it. SS has applicants see a doctor they choose. What did their doctor say? You didn’t mention that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance