Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 03:11 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,363 times

Advertisements

MIL is in extended care, medicare cut her off due to being in for so long but it's necessary that she stays there. She is thinking of turning all her assets over to her two sons, if she does that she will qualify for medicaid and then she can stay in extended care and have the charges covered.

My question is if she turns her assets over to her son is there a time frame that she can do that and be covered by medicaid, I know with a bankruptcy if you sell or turn your assets over within in a 90 day period it doesn't qualify and they still have to declare the assets. Does medicaid have a time frame as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 03:47 PM

914 posts, read 4,443,783 times
Medicaid requirements are different state to state. What state does she live in?

Old 03-29-2009, 04:47 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,296,055 times
I am sure they will be able to look into her past transactions. I know some states it can be up to 3 yrs they can look into the records. I work in a hospital and I see patients try this all the time as well as patients getting divorces so they don't have an income.

It all depends on the state as the others already mentioned.

I would be careful about that. It would be considered fraud and if she gets caught with that, they will give her a nice paid of shiny silver hand cuffs.

Can you get help from a Church or relatives for her?

Old 03-29-2009, 05:08 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
MIL is in extended care, medicare cut her off due to being in for so long but it's necessary that she stays there. She is thinking of turning all her assets over to her two sons, if she does that she will qualify for medicaid and then she can stay in extended care and have the charges covered.

My question is if she turns her assets over to her son is there a time frame that she can do that and be covered by medicaid, I know with a bankruptcy if you sell or turn your assets over within in a 90 day period it doesn't qualify and they still have to declare the assets. Does medicaid have a time frame as well?
First all if she has money, see an Attorney, elder service
for advice. You just do not get on medicaid, and I do think now it may be a
5 year look back. Yes, she, may give it to her sons, and they may also provide her care. If they have a social worker there, her and her sons need to sit down and talk. Medicare is not long-term care.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:01 AM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,363 times
Thank you for your comments, I tried to tell the family the same thing but they wouldn't necessarily listen to me. She is a resident of Alaska.

She had hip replacement, they sent her home too soon and she fell and broke her leg so she was back in. She healed from that 3 weeks later she fell and broke her shoulder. She hasn't been out of the extended care for 60 days and thats what medicare requires to continue to pay for her treatment.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:14 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
I do believe there is a time frame that all her assets have to be signed away before she can do that. My boss (lives in Mississippi) had to put his mother in a nursing home and he they were only ONE day past that cut off date.. She qualified for it.. They didn't do the transfer of her assets for that reason tho, they did it because her other child was cleaning her out and putting her in debt through fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance