Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2009, 01:52 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

Someone made the following comment on a Discussion Board:

Quote:
Furthermore, not everybody age 65 is eligible for Medicare. Only those who have enough credits with Social Security get it and Social Security.
This person implies that one may have enough credits for SS but not for Medicare. I might be in that group. In my total life I only accumulated about ten years worth of work time and that just gets me under the fence for SS. I'll call the SS office if I have to but it's a nightmare dealing with them if I'm even able to get through to a live person. Does anyone know if 10 years work might not be enough to get Medicare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 02:04 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
From the website ssa.gov/pubs:
Most people age 65 or older who are citizens or *permanent residents of the United States are eligible for free Medicare hospital insurance (Part A). You are eligible at age 65 if:

* You receive or are eligible to receive Social Security benefits; or
* You receive or are eligible to receive railroad retirement benefits; or
* You or your spouse (living or deceased, including divorced spouses) worked long enough in a government job where Medicare taxes were paid; or
* You are the dependent parent of a fully insured deceased child.

If you do not meet these requirements, you may be able to get Medicare hospital insurance by paying
a monthly premium. Usually, you can sign up for this hospital insurance only during designated enrollment periods.

NOTE: Even though the full retirement age is no longer 65, you should sign up for Medicare three months before your 65th birthday.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Furthermore, not everybody age 65 is eligible for Medicare. Only those who have enough credits with Social Security get it and Social Security.
Quote:
You are eligible at age 65 if:

* You receive or are eligible to receive Social Security benefits
So this person doesn't know what in the hail he's talking about! Good shot, bright. Thanx.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Someone made the following comment on a Discussion Board:

This person implies that one may have enough credits for SS but not for Medicare. I might be in that group. In my total life I only accumulated about ten years worth of work time and that just gets me under the fence for SS. I'll call the SS office if I have to but it's a nightmare dealing with them if I'm even able to get through to a live person. Does anyone know if 10 years work might not be enough to get Medicare?
If you pay into SS you shoiuld get a statement I belieive that tells you if you are quailtied yet for SS or how many quarters you need plus if your qualified for medicare at 65. They also give you a estimate under the current law that is pretty close on what you will get at 62 and 66.I recently took it at 62 and the amount loking bacxk has been pretty close except that I got more raise than estimated in earlier estimates.

Last edited by texdav; 09-26-2009 at 05:51 PM..

Old 09-26-2009, 05:59 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
you have to have 40 quarters,10 years.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
If you pay into SS you shoiuld get a statement I belieive that tells you if you are quailtied yet for SS or how many quarters you need plus if your qualified for medicare at 65. They also give you a estimate under the current law that is pretty close on what you will get at 62 and 66.I recently took it at 62 and the amount loking bacxk has been pretty close except that I got more raise than estimated in earlier estimates.
You're absolutely right, Dav. I pulled one out (I'd never gotten past the amount I'm going to get at 62, which is measly, but that's my fault) and right there under Medicare it states that I qualify. Thanks so much. Now I don't have to have nightmares over contacting the SS office in the short-run and not having health care when I turn 65 in the long-run (otherwise it'd be a long run down to Mexico to get on their system)

Old 09-29-2009, 01:18 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Sounds like you got your answer, but FYI you (or anyone reading this) can also contact your state's SHIP office, talk to a live, trained/certified volunteer and get all your questions answered and more information than you ever wanted about Medicare, how to qualify, supplemental coverage, rx. coverage, etc.

SHIP National Directory - Find a State SHIP: 50 State Listing of Insurance Information Programs Part 1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance