Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,333,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post

I try to remain calm too. ever since some maniac tied my windshield wiper in a knot. .. better that than a punch in the face though ..
Oh I had a little incident this past winter in which I had to pull out a weapon to scare him off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 12:12 PM

467 posts, read 1,188,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Do you have road rage?
No. But I am personally (and silently) enraged at all the stupid, stupid stuff I see on a daily basis. To me, there is a huge difference between the two. You're either the problem or part of the solution. I choose to be part of the solution by:

1) Keeping my mouth shut - especially when my children are in the car with me. Afterall, that is the first step to setting a good example and hoping they'll be the same once they hit the roads on their own... which scares me. I just so happen to live in the state that was recently outed on the news as ranking 1st for teenage driver related deaths = teens behind the wheel getting themselves killed due to poor driving.

2) Defensive driving and always being ready for someone to do something stupid.

I think those of us on the road of sound mind can all agree we can have pet peeves without falling victim to "road rage". We just make the choice to not react.

Quote:
list your driving pet peeves.
... Tailgaters - especially at high(er) speeds.

... Drivers who don't use their blinkers.

... Drivers who don't come close to giving you the opportunity of getting over into the "slow lane," pass you on the right at high speed and flip you off as they do.

... Drivers who don't obey "Yield" signs. They either blow on through them at high speed with total disregard or treat them like a red light. This is a major heads-up issue driving around here.

... Drivers you can see a good block or two away sitting at a side street "Stop" sign and choose to pull out right in front of you last minute.

... Drivers who speed in residential areas.

... Drivers who don't know how to merge on/off Freeways or at certain kinds of intersections where every other side goes to keep the flow of traffic moving.

On the flip side, drivers on the Freeway who don't show a little courtesy of slowing-down or speeding-up to allow someone on the Freeway if they cannot briefly get in the left lane.

... Drivers who stop in the middle of an intersection at a yellow light to ensure getting through - blocking the green light traffic to proceed through. Bottleneck anyone?

... Drivers who very knowingly blast through red lights. Hight speed t-bones are common around here. City cops and state troopers have been the cause of a few around here within the last year. Again...

... Drivers who are: oblivious because they are engrossed in a cellphone conversation, weaving (for whatever reason), juggling two hot lattes, texting, reading, putting on make-up, eating something they shouldn't be while driving, yada yada yada.

These people are a health hazard to me and my family.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:02 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,455 times
Quote:
Oh my gosh!!!!!!!

How about the women putting on mascara while driving. I've also seen people reading while driving.
Distracted drivers are no good period. And from the looks of it, there are many of them out there.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:30 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
My pet peeve? Riding with a driver who needs to criticize everyone else's driving.

Why can't people just pay attention to other drivers, anticipate what they might do, resign themselves to the fact that all drivers are different, enjoy the company of your companions in your own car, and get there when you get there.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:06 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I hope I never find out! I've heard running into an air bag is like getting punched in the face.
I've heard the same thing, scary. I used to be really bad behind the wheel. If someone were tailgating, I'd have no issue slamming on my brakes. Thank God I have mellowed out, big time. When someone is tailgating me, I pull over and let them pass- they're obviously in more of a hurry than I am. My life goes fast enough, i want to enjoy each day ... I will say, I am encountered by rude drivers each day. I'm not sure why people are such in a hurry and need to tailgate, what's the rush ?? And, what is it about giving a complete stranger the finger and screaming horrible curses at them that makes that person feel better ?? All because they're sharing the same road as you, and not going fast enough ... Bullying, terrorizing, and speaks volumes about that type of person.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:21 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,452 times
Yeah but isn't it funny, how.... those who claim to be the most pissed off at everyone else on the road,, seem to end up being the worst problem of all....???? I find 'road ragers' (in general) to be a hugely hypocritical lot. They are so busy being pissed off and scrutinizing everyone else-- that they end up acting far worse than everyone else. Driving etiquette seems to be a dying art along with basic etiquette in all other aspects of modern life I'm afraid-- but it is essential if we're all going to be sharing the roads. That being said, yes there are a lot of bad/irresponsible drivers out there... but if someone makes a minor mistake, there's no need to go all psycho on them. If someone's truly being pushy or stupid, then you can communicate a lot through hand gestures (without giving the finger).. like "hey BACK UP----- thank you" and so on. If they are really bad, then call 911. (If you're not allowed to drive & dial in your state, then explain to the cop it was an emergency). Many times, people make these angry judgments about other drivers, when there's a simple reason the other person did what they did (or it was an honest mistake). But then driver #1 is too angry to consider things from their perspective-- they just automatically assume driver #2 is an idiot or an a**hole. Maybe try chilling out once in a while... might be good for your blood pressure. In the meantime, I do think all driver's ed should have a separate section for basic etiquette-- and maybe things are bad enough that we need to all be required to have a refresher course every few years.
Then there's my solution-- which is to live very close to where I work, and where I do everything else-- and just be on the roads as little as humanly possible! If everyone did this, then the roads would be far less crowded- and everyone would be less angry, wouldn't they......?

Old 06-14-2010, 09:54 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
Yeah but isn't it funny, how.... those who claim to be the most pissed off at everyone else on the road,, seem to end up being the worst problem of all....???? I find 'road ragers' (in general) to be a hugely hypocritical lot. They are so busy being pissed off and scrutinizing everyone else-- that they end up acting far worse than everyone else. Driving etiquette seems to be a dying art along with basic etiquette in all other aspects of modern life I'm afraid-- but it is essential if we're all going to be sharing the roads. That being said, yes there are a lot of bad/irresponsible drivers out there... but if someone makes a minor mistake, there's no need to go all psycho on them. If someone's truly being pushy or stupid, then you can communicate a lot through hand gestures (without giving the finger).. like "hey BACK UP----- thank you" and so on. If they are really bad, then call 911. (If you're not allowed to drive & dial in your state, then explain to the cop it was an emergency). Many times, people make these angry judgments about other drivers, when there's a simple reason the other person did what they did (or it was an honest mistake). But then driver #1 is too angry to consider things from their perspective-- they just automatically assume driver #2 is an idiot or an a**hole. Maybe try chilling out once in a while... might be good for your blood pressure. In the meantime, I do think all driver's ed should have a separate section for basic etiquette-- and maybe things are bad enough that we need to all be required to have a refresher course every few years.
Then there's my solution-- which is to live very close to where I work, and where I do everything else-- and just be on the roads as little as humanly possible! If everyone did this, then the roads would be far less crowded- and everyone would be less angry, wouldn't they......?
Well put. It is obvious that these people are not rational or at least reasonable. It's always the other person who is the bad driver. I've never heard anyone admit they might be the problem. Well somebody has to be. Driving, and most of our daily actions, just seem to be a huge extension of who we really are. We are not relaxed and easy going. We are rushed and under the gun and that pressure, often largely self generated, produces negativity which is particularly dangerous on the road.

Perhaps instead of interpreting "Be All You Can Be" as "Do All You Can Do" we should really focus on quieting down and being. We'd probaly be a lot more relaxed at home, at work and in the car.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:07 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Quote:
Do you have road rage? I do. I have no idea why other drivers irrate me so much and why I take it so personally. If you do have road rage does it bother your SO? Also lets all list your driving pet peeves. I have so many:

1. tailgaters....mostly those tailgaters who are tailgating you when you are already going over the speed limit by 10km.

2. driverws who cut you off and then drive slow in front of you.

3. drivers who speed especially in a residential area where there are kids playing everywhere

4. drivers who don't know how to merge

5. drivers who are at a stoplight and the light has been red for 2 minutes and you are behind them and then for no reason they move their care up a few inches and the light is still red....psychos
I have found that taking myself out of the equation makes all that go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness