Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 03:52 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,618 times

Advertisements

Now first I know that I should quit smoking so you don't have to remind me. But when I inhale cigarette smoke distant objects become double like there are two of them. The line in the center of the road becomes double like when drinking too much if you can relate to that. Anyone know why that happens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 04:10 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
It's your body trying to tell you that something is wrong.

It could just be the action of inhaling smoke. Stand by a fire with a lot of smoke and see if it happens then. If not, it might be that cigarettes just don't agree with you.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:45 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Now first I know that I should quit smoking so you don't have to remind me. But when I inhale cigarette smoke distant objects become double like there are two of them. The line in the center of the road becomes double like when drinking too much if you can relate to that. Anyone know why that happens?
Well, it hasn't happened to me, but people have various problems after the introduction of FSC cigarettes. I think I might be forced to quit, too, because they don't even taste good anymore and all other sources of getting normal cigarettes have been cut already. The carpet glue used doesn't excite me much, either. I saw an article in the local paper last week about American cigarettes being the most carcinogenic ones - something I've suspected for some time. Not to mention there already is genetically modified tobacco and only the devil knows what is being used since we have zero control over it. I don't respond well to social pressure and the more pressure there was the more determined I was I'd do what I like at least where I can, but it seems like they will get their way after all!

I don't know where you live. Some states are still spared. I'd been ordering my smokes from NY for the past few years (after I no longer could get them from Europe) and only found out by chance about FSC cigarettes a few months ago (it's not like they broadcast how they poison you ) and the fact that this law first took effect there in '04. They've been around in AZ only for less than a year.

If I were you, I'd try to stop smoking at least for a week or two and see if it makes any difference.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:47 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
While you may not like this the truth is your brain/circulation system can't handle the nicotine you're getting from smoking. That said, there are people that "can't" smoke and it sounds to me like you're one such person.

Quit while you're ahead before the nicotine gives you a heart attack (no foolin') [ Nicotine is a POWERFUL vasoconstrictor]

"This compound is very poisonous and ingesting even the smallest amount can cause extreme fatigue, vomiting, a rapid yet weak pulse, and possibly nervous breakdowns, even death. Nicotine does not always affect people in the same way. In fact, it has very different effects on everyone. Some people can be harmed in the most drastic measures, whereas others are hardly even affected at all. Obviously, physicians constantly advise people not to ingest any amounts of nicotine into their systems. People with heart problems or other illnesses can be adversely affected by the use of nicotine."

http://www.carondelet.pvt.k12.ca.us/Moles/NicoB.P..htm

Old 06-17-2010, 05:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
While you may not like this the truth is your brain/circulation system can't handle the nicotine you're getting from smoking. That said, there are people that "can't" smoke and it sounds to me like you're one such person.
Well, it's not like he just started smoking, so he must handle tobacco just fine. No problems are caused by tobacco itself anyway (people have smoked tobacco for centuries and centuries just fine); it’s the 1,000s of poisons deliberately added to it that may be responsible for diseases. Perhaps he can't handle the new "wonderfully safe" cigarettes. I guess he can start rolling his own if he doesn't want to stop smoking for some time and see if it makes any difference, but who knows what's even in that tobacco...

Old 06-17-2010, 05:13 PM

889 posts, read 2,711,839 times
I haven't smoked in 7 years (pat on back.) Do they still make American Spirit cigs? Aren't they supposed to have less "junk" in them?

Old 06-17-2010, 05:31 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, it's not like he just started smoking, so he must handle tobacco just fine. No problems are caused by tobacco itself anyway (people have smoked tobacco for centuries and centuries just fine); it’s the 1,000s of poisons deliberately added to it that may be responsible for diseases. Perhaps he can't handle the new "wonderfully safe" cigarettes. I guess he can start rolling his own if he doesn't want to stop smoking for some time and see if it makes any difference, but who knows what's even in that tobacco...
There is a cumulative affect of nicotine on the human body so how long a person smokes does make a difference. This is why cigarettes do much harm compared to other forms of tobacco use. The cigarette alone is designed to do nothing more than a nicotine delivery device whereas this does not apply to other form of tobacco use.

I smoke a pipe but I moderate the risk , as most pipe smokers do, by enjoying a pipe once or twice a day whereas the cigarette user must have a constant hit.

"Cumulative" is the key word here........

Old 06-18-2010, 02:48 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
False. Revisionist history. Smoking was a novelty until cigarettes were first introduced at the turn of the 20th century. As smoking became more widespread the adverse health affects became obvious...

Tobacco is NOT safe and people have had "problems" with tobacco since they first started smoking it "centuries ago"

"In 1588, A Virginian named Thomas Harriet promoted smoking tobacco as a viable way to get one's daily dose of tobacco. Unfortunately, he died of nose cancer (because it was popular then to breathe the smoke out through the nose). "

During the 1600's, tobacco was so popular that it was frequently used as money! Tobacco was literally "as good as gold!"

This was also a time when some of the dangerous effects of smoking tobacco were being realized by some individuals. In 1610 Sir Francis Bacon noted that trying to quit the bad habit was really hard!

The History of Tobacco

Old 06-18-2010, 03:13 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
I haven't smoked in 7 years (pat on back.) Do they still make American Spirit cigs? Aren't they supposed to have less "junk" in them?
They do still make American Spirits. THey used to be a cheaper priced brand, but at local liquor stores, they are up to $7+ per pack now. I've found them on the reservation for about $5 or less if you purchase a carton. I am an occasional smoker and my brand of choice is American Spirit (prefer the lights). I usually smoke about 1 pack in a 7 - 10 day timeframe, so I willingly spend the extra $$$ for them. They do not give me a buzz, but my husband's Marlboros knock me on my butt.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:45 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I smoke a pipe but I moderate the risk , as most pipe smokers do, by enjoying a pipe once or twice a day whereas the cigarette user must have a constant hit.
Over the past 10 years, I have never smoked more than once perhaps twice a day. I go through phases where I'll smoke more (usually once a day or once every other day) and then less (perhaps once a week or once a month). In high school I used to smoke like a pack or so a day, but I got tired of it because it really wasn't doing anything for me; I found that cutting back really increases the effect of smoking, at least for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I usually smoke about 1 pack in a 7 - 10 day timeframe, so I willingly spend the extra $$$ for them. They do not give me a buzz, but my husband's Marlboros knock me on my butt.
Another fellow occasional smoker. I do 12 cigarettes in 7-10 days time (right now; though it's getting to where it can last 2 weeks sometimes). I get the clove ones because they smell so nice (kind of expensive though 'cause those 12 come in a pack that costs $5). They give me quite a buzz. Very relaxing to sit in my yard at night and light up. The Marlboros milds I sometimes get also give me a buzz too, but the clove ones are a little different. I believe they're pretty strong, not sure of that though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness