Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 05:18 PM

584 posts, read 867,930 times

Advertisements

what is the best recommendation to getting rid of acne beside drinking water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 09:31 PM

574 posts, read 2,038,867 times
What helped me the most when I had it was using an oil free wash, then rinsing my face with a sink full of water with corn starch added (it dries the oil), followed by using Witch Hazel as an astringent. I had acne pretty bad and was using a lot of corn starch and witch hazel when I had chicken pox at the age of 18. When the CP cleared up, my face was totally clear of acne as well! I am now 51 years old and whenever I get a flare up (my skin is still oily) I use a little Witch Hazel. It still does the job!

Nancy

Old 06-18-2010, 09:46 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,844,162 times
Keep your hands off your face. Its amazing how often we touch our faces without realizing it, and that just spreads the bacteria from one zit to another pore where another zit will form. Put gloves on your hands if you have to. Sit on your non-dominant hand when you are mousing at the computer because that's a time when people often 'graze' with their free hand. Keep rubbing alcohol and cotton balls around (or premoistened miniature wipes, which you can buy at the drugstore) for sanitizing your skin after you've touched it. Rubbing alcohol is the ingredient that does the work in toner, but toner has lots of additives like perfumes and 'conditioners' like witch hazel or green tea which may irritate your skin. If you catch yourself touching your face, wash your hands and be sure to clean under your fingernails.

Sleep with your face on a clean surface every night. With a pillowcase, bacteria from your face transfers to the case, then back onto your face, spreading the bacteria around. To prevent this, change your pillowcase every night, or put a clean hand towel overtop of it. After night #1, turn the towel over to the fresh side. After night #2, throw the towel in the wash and use a clean one. And switch to a fragrance-free detergent like All Free-Clear.

If you are female and have long hair, consider cutting it short or always keep it back so that you aren't touching your face while you sweep it out of your face or tuck it behind your ears.

A dab of toothpaste works wonders for drying out a zit. The white kind obviously, and you can't wear it out in public like regular zit cream but you can put it on at night.

If you have big, cystic acne, especially along the jawline, you have an endocrine problem. Either a thyroid problem or PCOS or something like that. Nothing will really cure it until you get the underlying medical problem treated, so get yourself to a doctor if this is what you have.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:21 PM

55 posts, read 70,035 times
Sulfur Soap,it is expensive,like $8.00 a bar but is considered the best for clearing up acne,it is also good for rashes.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:45 AM

81 posts, read 189,762 times
I had hormonal Acne so being on the pill helped and also taking multi-vitamins HIGH in vitamin A like 25,000 IUD (which is NOT safe if you are pregnant or become pregnant) But that totally cleared my face up. Now I'm off of both b/c I wanted to get pregnant and my face got bad again..

Old 06-21-2010, 08:18 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,597,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelouerbacker View Post
Sulfur Soap,it is expensive,like $8.00 a bar but is considered the best for clearing up acne,it is also good for rashes.

I use this also for acne. I have seen sulfur soap for as little as 99 cents at Walgreens, $8 seems very high. As I have gotten older, my skin really acts up, dry and patchy places, plus acne! And have the oily T area. Ugh... Also use resorcinol/sulfur cream (Adult Clearasil) which works well.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,662,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equal-Opp. View Post
what is the best recommendation to getting rid of acne beside drinking water?
I need more information. Treatment depends on the type of acne and possibly your age.

Last edited by Hopes; 06-22-2010 at 02:00 AM..

Old 06-22-2010, 01:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,662,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
If you have big, cystic acne, especially along the jawline, you have an endocrine problem. Either a thyroid problem or PCOS or something like that. Nothing will really cure it until you get the underlying medical problem treated, so get yourself to a doctor if this is what you have.
Cystic acne isn't necessarily due to an underlying condition. Acutane does cure cystic acne. I personally would try a lower dose of Vitamin A via regular vitamins before resorting to Acutane. The amount of Vitamin A in Acutane is SUPER high and should only be used as a last resort.

I have had a lifetime of acne problems. I started out as a teen with cystic acne. Tried everything (Retin A, etc.) before finally taking Acutane. It did permanently cure the cystic acne. I was acne free for a couple of decades, but I developed Rosacea in my 40s. Sadly, I waited too many years to treat the Rosacea. I wasted time with over the counter products and home remedies. A permanent maintenance dosage of oral and topical antibiotics are necessary for keeping my Rosacea under control. Amazingly, I have never gotten cysts since taking Acutane as a teen. The acne I get with my Rosacea is normal type acne. Even though it's under control, I plan to start taking Vitamin A to support the oral and topical antibiotics I use.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:43 AM

6,066 posts, read 14,995,807 times
My dermatologist perscribed Spironolactone. PubMed Health - Spironolactone

Old 06-22-2010, 02:48 AM

6,066 posts, read 14,995,807 times
I found a link that talks about it Spironolactone - Spironolactone for Hormonal Acne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness