Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:28 AM

793 posts, read 3,118,529 times

Advertisements

<<Unfortunately, sugar is sugar. Doesn't make much difference if it comes from a banana or sugar cane. There are quite a few people who gain weight from consuming too much sugar. You're lucky you don't have to worry about it!>>

Sugar is not sugar by any stretch. The sugar in fruits is not even close to plain old sugar. I'll keep this as simple as can be without going crazy over detail and processes. Fructose in fruits as opposed to sucrose, which is your plain, generally worthless sugar additive you find in cereals, soda, candy, etc.... Sucrose has an additonal compund, glucose. Glucose and the levels of glucose also better dictates the good carbs from the bad carbs- refined vs unrefined.
Fructose and not sucrose is converted by the liver to yes, sucrose and glucose, though normally glycogen beforehand unless your blood sugar levels are currently high. Glycogen supplies your short term energy supply. You may be thinking, well if fructose is at least in part converted to sucrose, what is the big difference? CONVERSION and TIME TABLE in regards to this conversion. That is why sucrose ends up doing nothing positive for our bodies in regards to providing energy supply that can be offset by the calories it produces and fat it indirectly creates: there is nothing to break down into further compounds and the process is too rapid. The breakdown of fructose allows time for the body to adapt as it is stored in the liver and muscles.
This still isn't that entailed what I described, but hopefully that better discerns the radical contrast in the sugars we eat and why some are better than others in most instances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 10:48 AM

607 posts, read 3,553,858 times
Is beer frutcose or sucrose...... or barleycrose?

Old 06-19-2007, 07:19 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,967,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
<<Unfortunately, sugar is sugar. Doesn't make much difference if it comes from a banana or sugar cane. There are quite a few people who gain weight from consuming too much sugar. You're lucky you don't have to worry about it!>>

Sugar is not sugar by any stretch. The sugar in fruits is not even close to plain old sugar. I'll keep this as simple as can be without going crazy over detail and processes. Fructose in fruits as opposed to sucrose, which is your plain, generally worthless sugar additive you find in cereals, soda, candy, etc.... Sucrose has an additonal compund, glucose. Glucose and the levels of glucose also better dictates the good carbs from the bad carbs- refined vs unrefined.
Fructose and not sucrose is converted by the liver to yes, sucrose and glucose, though normally glycogen beforehand unless your blood sugar levels are currently high. Glycogen supplies your short term energy supply. You may be thinking, well if fructose is at least in part converted to sucrose, what is the big difference? CONVERSION and TIME TABLE in regards to this conversion. That is why sucrose ends up doing nothing positive for our bodies in regards to providing energy supply that can be offset by the calories it produces and fat it indirectly creates: there is nothing to break down into further compounds and the process is too rapid. The breakdown of fructose allows time for the body to adapt as it is stored in the liver and muscles.
This still isn't that entailed what I described, but hopefully that better discerns the radical contrast in the sugars we eat and why some are better than others in most instances.
I agree conversion over time makes acorn squash a better choice than 3T of table sugar. Especially if you add in vitamins, fiber, and phytochemicals. But it's still sugar. People who are metabolically challenged, with a low BMR, tend to live in a state of glycogen depletion to avoid becoming overweight. By having fewer sugars available for easy conversion to glycogen, we force our bodies to work harder and burn more calories. It's a tried and true method of avoiding weight gain. Not easy but it works. I would love to have some watermelon. But I would rather not weigh too much. It's easier for some people to stay skinny than others!

Old 06-20-2007, 01:39 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,237,894 times
So back to the guy that won't eat fruits and veggies: He will find out the hard way when they have to surgically remove all the feces stuck there in his intestines.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:40 AM

523 posts, read 2,900,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
So back to the guy that won't eat fruits and veggies: He will find out the hard way when they have to surgically remove all the feces stuck there in his intestines.
That was a great image! Um, do you have any proof that this is the case for people who don't eat fruits or veiggies?

Old 06-20-2007, 09:58 AM

16,226 posts, read 27,349,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I agree conversion over time makes acorn squash a better choice than 3T of table sugar. Especially if you add in vitamins, fiber, and phytochemicals. But it's still sugar. People who are metabolically challenged, with a low BMR, tend to live in a state of glycogen depletion to avoid becoming overweight. By having fewer sugars available for easy conversion to glycogen, we force our bodies to work harder and burn more calories. It's a tried and true method of avoiding weight gain. Not easy but it works. I would love to have some watermelon. But I would rather not weigh too much. It's easier for some people to stay skinny than others!
I live this way every day - everyone thinks that there is some "golden rule" with how we feed ourselves and that everyone should abide by the same "golden rule". I know what things I can eat, and what things I should not (or with limits) and that includes certain fruits for me too. I don't understand why anyone feels compelled to tell another grown-ass adult what they should and should not eat. The only person anyone will ever be successful in ever changing is themself. I have observed that members of the "food police" are usually the ones who are too uptight because they don't like their own self-imposed restrictions and want everyone around them to commiserate. Maybe they could self-reflect on why it is they feel the need to train others to their way of thinking/feeding??

Old 06-20-2007, 10:46 AM

523 posts, read 2,900,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I live this way every day - everyone thinks that there is some "golden rule" with how we feed ourselves and that everyone should abide by the same "golden rule". I know what things I can eat, and what things I should not (or with limits) and that includes certain fruits for me too. I don't understand why anyone feels compelled to tell another grown-ass adult what they should and should not eat. The only person anyone will ever be successful in ever changing is themself. I have observed that members of the "food police" are usually the ones who are too uptight because they don't like their own self-imposed restrictions and want everyone around them to commiserate. Maybe they could self-reflect on why it is they feel the need to train others to their way of thinking/feeding??
I just want to say that I've never tried to tell anyone what and what not to eat until my roommate. I don't comment on any co-workers' or friends' diets. The reason this even came up with my roommate was basically a joke because he was wondering why he isn't married and I said something like, "Because they don't like it when you pick out 75% of the food that they're trying to cook for you." So, any talk of food with him has been very light-hearted in nature and the whole point of my thread was to understand what the actual implications of not eating fruits and vegetables is on a person's health. It seems like everyone assumes that as long as they take a multi-vitamin, they're ok, and I feel like this can't possibly be the case! So, please don't take this as me harping on him day in and day out about his eating habits because I'm not!

Old 07-17-2021, 12:17 AM

2 posts, read 1,188 times
Default Vitamin D Sources: Vitamin D Foods For Vegetarians

There are 41 million individuals on the planet experiencing diabetes, 90% of whom are "diabetic sort 2". Indications of diabetes type 2 don't seem ordinarily initially, yet when the illness increments, and afterward the individual needs to confront a ton of issues. Be that as it may, luckily, you can handle it with a legitimate kind 2 diabetes diet outline to know more about this topic search "Vitamin D Sources Vitamin D Foods For Vegetarians" on google.

Old 07-17-2021, 12:55 AM

7 posts, read 6,356 times
Welcome to city-data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88
I don't much care for veggies, but I do eat some fruits. My husband is always on my case....
I didnt used to like Veggies but now I cant get enough of them!!

I even eat peas in soup and I really still dont care for Peas but they dont have any flavour really and are said to be good for us,so I eat them......

I do not like Pea soup though (I havent tried it in awhile)

Old 07-17-2021, 07:10 AM

8,942 posts, read 11,729,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I gain weight very easily if I eat over 20 carbs per day. If I want to stay thin, I can eat only meat and raw green vegetables like broccoli, spinach, and green beans. The lower carb veggies. I wish I could eat fruits and grain. Even eating like this, I still have to run 4 or 5 days a week. I do take quite a few supplements as well.

People are always being my Food Police. They always know what I should be eating. Too bad they aren't willing to do my diet for me when I gain weight!
Good for you. Don't you just hate it when other people get religious about what you should eat or shouldn't eat. You tell these people this: we are all gonna die no matter what we eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness