Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:21 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,444,943 times

Advertisements

I don't put salt on anything and have never have done it.

Nine out of 10 Americans eat too much salt every day, and many of them get more than twice the recommended daily amount, according to a new report from the CDC.

Researchers surveyed nearly 5,000 U.S. adults and found that they consumed a daily average of almost 3,500 milligrams of sodium. Current dietary guidelines say that Americans should get less than 2,300 milligrams of sodium each day.

Study: Americans eat too much salt – Paging Dr. Gupta - CNN.com Blogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 05:05 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,592,009 times
Okay, before further unnecessary studies are commissioned, let the Dolphin go on record and save the money that would be wasted:

Salt. Check, that's been covered already.
Americans eat too much sugar, way too much
Americans eat too much high fructose corn syrup (HFCS)--it's every where and in everything
Americans eat too many hydrogenated fats
Americans eat too much corn (it's added to so many foods)
Americans eat too much MSG (it's added to many food as a flavor enhancer and can cause many side effects)
Americans eat too much food coloring (some have been associated with causing cancer)
Americans eat too many simple carbohydrates from which major nutrients are missing, such as white rice and baked goods made from white flour

I'm sure there are other foods we eat too much of, these are just few of the highlights.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:14 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,273,779 times
Americans don't eat enough potassium.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:45 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,903,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Americans don't eat enough potassium.
A larger concern may be that many do not get the recommended daily amount of fiber. I'm sure potassium is also a concern though, since vegetables is something that's commonly missed (uncooked ones).

Old 06-27-2010, 04:42 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,803,410 times
Sad thing is, many people don't realize it.

Most people think salt only comes from a salt shaker on the table.

The amount of salt in processed foods in unbelievable. I myself had no knowledge of how high it was. I knew processed food tasted salty, but I honestly had no idea it was that much.

Most people get way, way more salt that they need bc they have been so used to it that if their food has a reasonable amount of salt they simply cannot taste it. It is not the food that is tasteless, it is the salt that is overpowering to the point they can barely recognize flavors.

Also, there are things that should not have salt at all, or just the bare minimum, like bread for instance. You are probably going to eat it with something that has salt on it, being a spread, some meat or cheese. So why should it have that much salt? So that the shelf life is longer, of course...

It saddens me to see the "no low-salt for me, I want regular food" mentality.

But to each her/his own...

Old 04-28-2015, 05:46 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,285,651 times
It's processed food. If you cook at home with fresh ingredients, your sodium intake will plummet. One day eating out or using processed foods, and I'm over the limit. If I eat at home, my sodium intake is less than half the maximum daily allowance. As for potassium, the above poster is right on the money! It's difficult to get enough potassium without specifically seeking out high-potassium foods. I'm a vegetarian, who eats high-potassium foods regularly, and I still have to supplement. If you're interested in managing your sodium or potassium intake, try using a nutrition app. I personally like Fitness Pal, which allows users to import or enter recipes, but there are lots of others that will do the trick.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:59 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,945,867 times
Duh!

Old 05-01-2015, 12:50 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,280,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I don't put salt on anything and have never have done it.

Nine out of 10 Americans eat too much salt every day, and many of them get more than twice the recommended daily amount, according to a new report from the CDC.

Researchers surveyed nearly 5,000 U.S. adults and found that they consumed a daily average of almost 3,500 milligrams of sodium. Current dietary guidelines say that Americans should get less than 2,300 milligrams of sodium each day.

Study: Americans eat too much salt – Paging Dr. Gupta - CNN.com Blogs
and studies show, everyone over the age of 80 will probably die in the next 20 years. When will we all get over how much is too much? The next report will tell us, we eat too much food period. Eat low fat foods and get too much sodium; eat nothing but fresh foods, no preservatives and maybe all those fresh foods have chemicals that have been sprayed on them. Maybe we take too many vitamens, or we don't get enough vit D cause we are afraid of sunburn.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:31 PM

17,924 posts, read 27,329,645 times
Sugar adds shelf-life too, not just salt.

So, how do you know when you're getting the proper amount of salt?

Old 05-01-2015, 05:03 PM

5,837 posts, read 5,236,719 times
I don't use salt and I am developing an intolerance to high levels of sodium. I have "trained" my "chef" (who also does the shopping) to read labels-well, sometimes. But, he will often buy the "low sodium" item. I love Teddie's Peanut Butter-no salt added. But, my "chef" loves his sauces and most of those are laden with sodium.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness