Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 11:16 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,529,234 times

Advertisements

My blood sugar dropped so low yesterday I almost fainted. What makes it worse is that I was driving home from picking my son up from school. I pulled over in a restaurant parking lot and thankfully my son had a juice box I could drink and get everything back to normal but I didn't feel normal after that. I think I may have had an anxiety attack as well due to me feeling weird. It was so surreal. I was disoriented, but not confused. I knew where I was but I couldn't think, speak, or hear. It was like everything was spinning and my body couldn't grasp what was happening, even though my mind was. Can a person have hypoglycemia without diabetes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 11:33 AM

345 posts, read 1,636,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
My blood sugar dropped so low yesterday I almost fainted. What makes it worse is that I was driving home from picking my son up from school. I pulled over in a restaurant parking lot and thankfully my son had a juice box I could drink and get everything back to normal but I didn't feel normal after that. I think I may have had an anxiety attack as well due to me feeling weird. It was so surreal. I was disoriented, but not confused. I knew where I was but I couldn't think, speak, or hear. It was like everything was spinning and my body couldn't grasp what was happening, even though my mind was. Can a person have hypoglycemia without diabetes?

Formaldehyde emission can cause that exact thing. Do you have a new car ?

Old 06-30-2010, 11:50 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,167,545 times
Yes. But go to the doctor. Your health issue can happen for a lot of reasons.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:44 PM

523 posts, read 3,797,337 times
yes, hypoglycaemia can most definitely occur in people without diabetes. but you describe a number of symptoms including fainting, confusion and anxiety: how do you know your blood sugar was low?

having a drink and starting to feel better may have been coincidental, rather than a reflection of restoration of blood sugar levels.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:09 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,602,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Yes. But go to the doctor. Your health issue can happen for a lot of reasons.
Yes, it's time for you to run ,not walk, to your doctor ASAP!

In the mean time, make sure that you have peanut butter snack pack crackers in easy reach 100% of the time 24/7/365 to prevent you slipping into a diabetic coma. No kidding here.........

Old 06-30-2010, 01:22 PM

523 posts, read 3,797,337 times
carrying a snack on you won't do any harm, but until such time as hypoglycaemia has been confirmed as the cause of your symptoms, then it's unlikely to do much good.

and unless you are taking insulin or other drugs which can lower your glucose levels or increase your insulin levels, its extremely unlikely that you are genuinely experiencing hypos.

not impossible, just extremely unlikely. thus a diabetic coma is also very unlikely.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:33 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,529,234 times
The only reason why I think it was my blood sugar is b/c I hadn't eaten anything all day yesterday. And while I know this is not healthy, I do it often b/c I literally just don't have time to eat.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:51 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,602,843 times
Quote:
The only reason why I think it was my blood sugar is b/c I hadn't eaten anything all day yesterday. And while I know this is not healthy, I do it often b/c I literally just don't have time to eat.
To continue this eating pattern is to play russian roulette with a fully loaded gun. BANG! You loose!

EAT RIGHT OR SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES SINCE NO PERSON IS SO BUSY THAT THERE IS NO TIME TO EAT A BITE 4 OR 5 TIMES A DAY.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:04 AM

97 posts, read 209,440 times
I had this happen to me this week too. I was also wondering the same question. I did eat a bowl of cereal and a pop tart. Then had coffee. This food is not sufficient, but none the less food.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:15 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,167,545 times
Quote:
You need to go to the doctor. If you are healthy, a 24 hour period with nothing to eat would not be a problem. You can develop diabetes at any age and any weight. If you stress and don't eat well its very likely that you could have developed it. You don't need to be heavy (fat) to be diabetic either. You have time to eat. Just grab some energy bars, fruit, nuts etc and you can eat it in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boob73 View Post
I had this happen to me this week too. I was also wondering the same question. I did eat a bowl of cereal and a pop tart. Then had coffee. This food is not sufficient, but none the less food.
When were you last tested for diabetes? That is just eating a bunch of sugar would should be fine for healthy people in the sense it wont make you sick on the spot. Its more than enough food for breakfast. But coffee does affect your blood sugar. You need to go get a check up too. And make sure you have a couple days of what you ate written down. Remember exactly what you ate and when before they take your blood sugar. Don't guess. Write it down.

Also there was a kellogs recall recently (google it). I am not sure if that covers your cereal/pop tart or not. There was something in the cereal making people sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness