Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 06:26 PM

889 posts, read 2,711,839 times

Advertisements

Why, out of the blue, would my heart start beating hard and fast? It's a horrible, uncontrollable feeling. Any natural cures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 06:55 PM

450 posts, read 5,020,968 times
Sounds like NSVT--non-sustatined ventricular tachycardia. I have this. What this is is a minor heart condition that causes your heart to occasionally beat very hard and fast for about 3-10 beats and then it goes back to normal. The first few times it happened it scared me. I didn't get it checked out until 10 years later when I went to a cardiologist b/c I was having skipped heart beats, which later turned out to be PVCs. I was also diagnosed with NSVT. After a holter, exam, EKG, and echocardiogram, the cardiologist determined that there was no physical cause for the PVCs or NSVT and that no treatment was necessary. It's more of a nuisance and doesn't mean anything bad is going to happen with my heart.

Sometimes an out of whack thyroid can cause PVCs, but I was tested for that several times and that was not an issue for me. My cardiologist said there was no known cause or reason for my frequent palpitations and NSVT (the NSVT wasn't frequent--once a month or so). The palps, at their worst, happened about 5 times a minute. Very uncomfortable.

I find that being dehydrated, being hungry, stress and heat makes my NSVT more frequent.

Does this sound like what you might have?

Old 06-30-2010, 06:56 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
You might try a calcium/magnesium pill or two. Or a banana, milk and OJ smoothie for the potassium.

The 'why' is hard to determine..could be many causes. Did it happen after something you ate or drank, stress, or something you didn't eat or drink? Are you dehydrated. Do you drink fluids that have caffeine in them, like coffee or soda? Eat lots of sugar?

How's your blood pressure? Have you have a recent blood panel done to see how your electrolytes are? (potassium, sodium, calcium).

Ever had an anxiety attack before?

Did you exercise in the heat?

Is your weight within bounds?

Have insulin problems or diabetes?

As mentioned, palpitations can have many causes. Often, it's a mineral/vitamin deficiency or imbalance. But could indicate certain diseases, too. Like cardio-vascular problems.

I'm not a doctor, so if it keeps up and/or you feel faint, clammy/sweaty, have chest or arm pain, you should get to your physician PDQ.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:05 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
you don't say how old you are, or if you are male or female. Sometimes, a woman that has reached the age of menopause, will have an occasional episode of fast heart beat.

At any rate, it would be a sensible thing to have a doctor check it out. Could be nothing, could be serious.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:07 AM

Default Here's my info:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
You might try a calcium/magnesium pill or two. Or a banana, milk and OJ smoothie for the potassium.

The 'why' is hard to determine..could be many causes. Did it happen after something you ate or drank, stress, or something you didn't eat or drink? Are you dehydrated. Do you drink fluids that have caffeine in them, like coffee or soda? Eat lots of sugar?

How's your blood pressure? Have you have a recent blood panel done to see how your electrolytes are? (potassium, sodium, calcium).

Ever had an anxiety attack before?

Did you exercise in the heat?

Is your weight within bounds?

Have insulin problems or diabetes?

As mentioned, palpitations can have many causes. Often, it's a mineral/vitamin deficiency or imbalance. But could indicate certain diseases, too. Like cardio-vascular problems.

I'm not a doctor, so if it keeps up and/or you feel faint, clammy/sweaty, have chest or arm pain, you should get to your physician PDQ.
I am a 36yo mother
I am "stressed"
the beating continues for up to 5 minutes at a time
I exercise, my weight is normal
no other health problems
I take quality vitamins and minerals
no claminess or other symptoms
my adrenals are shot, though!
poster mentaioned thyroid??
I think I'll at least go to the blood pressure clinic so they can take a listen
Thanks for any further info!!

Old 07-01-2010, 08:00 AM

How much soda/coffee/tea with caffeine do you consume?

Adrenals shot? That could be the problem.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:02 AM

You might want to drink, during the day, and at bedtime, a relaxation tea such as "Sleepy Time" or "Tension Tamer" by Celestial Seasonings...they're very calming to the system. Most larger groceries stock one or both of them...plain Chamomille tea is calming, too.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:13 AM

450 posts, read 5,020,968 times
Quote:
I know that this is a factor--my cardiologist has always asked me about this, but I drink zero caffeine--no coffee, tea, cola or chocolate ever, and my palps are bad. So sometimes they're related, sometimes not, but this does tend to make palps worse.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:25 PM

Default I own a coffee shop

Quote:

Adrenals shot? That could be the problem.
Friends, I own a coffee shop! Actually, I almost always drink half caf. I make it to the eight cup line on my coffee maker each morning. In the afternoon, I have a 16oz half caf. coffee or Americano. BUT, the second I felt that crazy heart beat (about a week ago) I cut down to two cups of half caf in the morning and maybe a green tea (or nothing) in the afternoon. No pop. I've been trying to use sleep-inducing essential oils at night, and I got some samples of "Power to Sleep" vitamins. Zonk. I've actually been sleeping well. It's the waking up to a pounding heart that's worrisome. I really appreciate your insight. Tomorrow, I'm going to the free blood pressure clinic. Hopefully they'll take a listen to my ticker for me. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 145,906 times
i woke up from a nap today and when i woke up my heart was beatin very hard i could feel the beats through out my whole body and was really fast at first thn slowed down but still was beatind VERY hard.. kinda scared me .. i drimk pop but i have never felt this before .. it was like my heart stoped beating while i was sleeping and had to catch up when i awoke..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness