Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:59 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times

Advertisements

Your post #40 says you have a prescription for valium, but it makes you drowsy. As long as it isn't a time-release pill or a capsule, you can take just half of one instead of a whole one. I've had xanax prescribed for me years ago when I was experiencing some "stress overload" as I like to call it. Xanax and Valium are similar types of medications (though not the same). I had the same problem - it relieved the stress, but made me too tired to care that I was relieved. So I halved the dosage and that seemed to solve the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 01:50 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Here's a thought---I do keep detailed records of meds taken, because many of my meds are not on a daily basis--some are weekly, bi-weekly, etc.

Well, I've noticed I've been taking Ambien CR consistently for about a month. I used to take it just on ocassional basis, but just got in the "habit" of taking it every night. But if I stop it, I find I can't sleep at all.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:49 PM

574 posts, read 2,045,135 times
I would be almost willing to bet, with your history, that it has something to do with your back. I have had sciatica, pinched nerves, etc. and every time that happens, sometimes with no pain, my legs feel very weak.

Some other things to consider:
Are you close to menipause? There are a variety of symptoms and weakness is one of them
MS as has already been mentioned
Has your thyroid been checked? Overactive thyroid will usually cause weakness

Of course I am no doctor and you'll need to be fully evaluated, but I would strongly suspect your back problems have something to do with this.

Nancy

Old 07-13-2010, 06:16 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Here's a thought---I do keep detailed records of meds taken, because many of my meds are not on a daily basis--some are weekly, bi-weekly, etc.

Well, I've noticed I've been taking Ambien CR consistently for about a month. I used to take it just on ocassional basis, but just got in the "habit" of taking it every night. But if I stop it, I find I can't sleep at all.
Ambien can do weird things to a person.

I take 5mg melatonin. If that doesn't work, I take Lunesta.
You can mess around with the melatonin. Some people need 10mg to sleep; some need 5, my hub takes 2 - 3mg tabs.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Ambien can do weird things to a person.

I take 5mg melatonin. If that doesn't work, I take Lunesta.
You can mess around with the melatonin. Some people need 10mg to sleep; some need 5, my hub takes 2 - 3mg tabs.

I've been taking Ambien CR for awhile, you can't just stop abruptly. I called my doc and asked for Ambien 10 mg, that's not CR, she prescribed it, I took it last night, woke up feeling much better today.

The best I could describe my previous symptoms were that although I didn't feel dizzy, I felt about ready to fall asleep, almost like I had to fight off sleep. The Ambien CR has 2 layers, one to put you to sleep, the other keeps you asleep.

Well, it was taking longer and longer for me to fall asleep, so obviously the first layer just wasn't working. Then I developed the habit of eating a snack before bed (NO, I wasn't sleep eating, I knew what I was doing). Well, according to the pharmacist, perhaps I was slowing the action of the second layer down. The first layer took awhile to kick in, then, the food slowed down the second layer, so perhaps the second layer was trying to kick in after I woke up.

Whatever, I do feel much better today, but still unsteady. I'm terrified to walk around the house and ask the kids for a lot of help, which they deliver with a hateful sneer, well, they're just 12 & 13, but still, you'd think a little more understanding wouldn't kill them. We're moving next week, I don't want to risk a fall intermin, what a mess that would be, I try to explain to them its best at this point to be over cautious and avoid a fall until we get to our new home, we're so close.

I do think its my back, I have an appt with a neurosurgeon in Houston this Thurs (he's done two spinal surgeries on me, and is a leading expert, why go anywhere else), I will see what he says. Problem is, I have to get there by myself, except for the kids, but they can help, we will make it.

Meanwhile, I am feeling somewhat better, I'm 55. sometimes, when one gets older, one's metabolism changes, you need to do a careful review of your meds. Many can cause dizziness, especially as we get older, we tend to get dehydrated, which concentrates our meds.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:41 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,889 times
I have not read through all the posts, but I've heard of this happening to a woman. Turned out she did not have the ability to absorb vitamin B12. So her nervous system was doing exactly what you described.
She had to have daily injections of B12, but she's back to normal.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:50 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Default side effects?

link to side effects of Ambien CR

Ambien CR (Zolpidem Tartrate) Drug Information: Uses, Side Effects, Drug Interactions and Warnings at RxList

Old 07-14-2010, 12:38 PM

I'm actually feeling better!

First, I changed the Ambien CR to just plain Ambien 10 mg, the difference being its not a time released. I had the funny feeling I wanted to just fall asleep in the middle of the day. It was hard to explain, I didn't feel dizzy, just like I wanted to fall asleep!

Well, two days on the plain Ambien and I feel much more clear headed. One should not simply abruptly stop Ambien if you've been on it for any length of time, that's why I'm tapering down.

Also, I've been doing some stretching and strengthening exercises, of course, one week of exercises doesn't do much, but it seems I have more control over my legs, less "jello leg" feeling.

Perhaps it was just stress, take it one day at a time!

Old 07-14-2010, 06:12 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Good luck & keep us posted

Old 07-20-2010, 09:17 PM

Well, I am feeling somewhat better, but still having symptoms.

The weakness is still there. I did get a shot of Vit B-12, you can get them at HEB Rediclinic without a doctor's rx, cost $25, but it did seem to help some.

The panic is subsiding, I did make it into the store today with ds, did some shopping, didn't panic, but still don't think I could make it alone.

I'm feeling despondent, thinking I've lost my freedom. I can't walk from the house to the car without someone with me, I panic if I feel my balance going. But I can drive, its my left leg that feels "funny".

On top of all that, I'm trying to pack and move! My dh got a job in another city, dd lives with him, right now its just me, ds and the cat. Well, no wonder I'm under stress.

I did have back surgery last March, so probably still recovering from that. I've been doing some simple exercises on my own that seem to help, but I can't get any type of PT scheduled until I move, of course. Also, I have an appt to see my neurosurgeon Aug 17, that's all I can do is wait until then. he's in Houston, and fortunately we're moving near Houston, so that should work out. Right now I just do what I can.

I can take a shower now without panicing, its a walk-in shower, but still freaked me out for awhile. i realize a lot of it is mental, but still its a lot to overcome. i now have much more patience and sympathy for those with "mental disorders" You can't just say "get over yourself" Its not that simple. I've tried everything, and insist on getting back on that horse, or I realize I will become an emotional cripple, but still, its tough.

Ok, on the positive

I am showing improvement, albeit slowly, that's better than going backwards

my symptoms are not worsening

my leg muscles work, its not like I can't move my legs

at times I'm better than others, but the progression does seem to be in a positive direction

Things could be worse, right now I have to concentrate on how to get moved, put our house up for sale, settle into a new home, and manage two teenagers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness