Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 10:02 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times

Advertisements

No, this is not a study . I just want some opinions.

I like to have a shot of Jack Daniels each day immediately following work. You can get those little shot-sized bottles at the store. I buy 5 each week, taking one each day immediately following the 8-5 job. My great-grandfather did this and lived to be 103 - not suggesting direct correlation, but just saying.

Here is my issue though. I am also going to begin working out/exercising each day up at the gym. So is it okay if I drink a shot of JD, go home, eat a snack, and then go exercise? I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal, but I wanted others' opinions ... as I've never really drunk any alcohol of any kind before exercising. I usually save that for binging on the weekends . Now that I am getting older I am giving up the binging (for the most part) and sticking to a shot per day.

And please no one answer with "why don't you wait to do the shot till after working out?" The whole point is that I'm trying to find out if it is ok health-wise to implement the schedule I would like to do above.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 12:11 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalea City Man View Post
No, this is not a study . I just want some opinions.

I like to have a shot of Jack Daniels each day immediately following work. You can get those little shot-sized bottles at the store. I buy 5 each week, taking one each day immediately following the 8-5 job. My great-grandfather did this and lived to be 103 - not suggesting direct correlation, but just saying.

Here is my issue though. I am also going to begin working out/exercising each day up at the gym. So is it okay if I drink a shot of JD, go home, eat a snack, and then go exercise? I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal, but I wanted others' opinions ... as I've never really drunk any alcohol of any kind before exercising. I usually save that for binging on the weekends . Now that I am getting older I am giving up the binging (for the most part) and sticking to a shot per day.

And please no one answer with "why don't you wait to do the shot till after working out?" The whole point is that I'm trying to find out if it is ok health-wise to implement the schedule I would like to do above.

Thanks.
You don't really want anyone's else's opinion so why ask here? What you really want is for folk's here to give you "permission" by telling you your idea is ok.

Besides questions like this are best answered by your doctor since it seems to matter to you.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:55 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
You don't really want anyone's else's opinion so why ask here? What you really want is for folk's here to give you "permission" by telling you your idea is ok.

Besides questions like this are best answered by your doctor since it seems to matter to you.
I agree with the second part. I don't agree with the first part. I want people's opinion on whether it is ok health-wise to do so. I just don't want opinions on whether it would be more convinient or not to have the shot before or after. Does that make sense?

Old 07-13-2010, 02:43 PM

345 posts, read 1,641,372 times
Whenever I drink before I go to the gym I look great during the workout......... that may be because I'm wasted and I really can't see so good.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:32 AM

805 posts, read 2,000,172 times
Arnold Schwarz...(however the hell you spell it) The freaking governator of California used to drink a bottle of wine before working out. Not sure how good/bad it is for you. I doubt it would have any negative effects.
His reasoning for doing it was because when he was drunk he could push himself harder because it was easier to push through the pain

Old 07-14-2010, 11:21 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,605,471 times
A bottle of wine? Woah. That's a bit much before heading to the gym!

I don't know why one shot would be bad though, especially if you're already used to it. Just make sure you're hydrated.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:00 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Alcohol will be consumed by the liver first before any food calories so that makes it hard to train right.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:37 AM

805 posts, read 2,000,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
A bottle of wine? Woah. That's a bit much before heading to the gym!

I don't know why one shot would be bad though, especially if you're already used to it. Just make sure you're hydrated.
Yeah, he would use it to "numb" his body basically...

and yes, the liver does consume the alcohol first, but a shot of whiskey is only 105 calories. There was a study done with a person eating a 1500 calorie diet which included 150 calories of wine, and a separate diet of 1500 calories including 150 calories of grape juice.

the study with the wine had a weight loss result of 8.3lbs and the grape juice study was 10.4 respectively. Main reason, is your body breaks the alcohol down to acetate. When your body needs fuel, it will use the acetate before breaking down the fat.

So it may indeed slightly impede your performance/results but not by much.

Drinking alcohol can reduce your testosterone levels up to 24hrs as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness