Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:40 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,317,930 times

Advertisements

I had a blood test done and the normal range for ferritin is 80-300. Mine is at 4 My Dr. prescribed prescription strength iron. My hemoglobin is 106. I don't even know how I am able to function if my level is this low. Anyone else dealing with anemia. How do you cope and what has helped you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 10:48 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,728,387 times
Wow, that is low, but I've dealt with this all of my life and the reason you can function is b/c you got that way gradually. I have almost no symptoms, even when I get quite low, and that's probably how you are too. My main one is that when I squat down for a minute or so and then stand up quickly, I will almost pass out if I'm low.

So, when you take the iron, the first thing you will probably notice is that the strength will come back into your legs and you'll start to feel stronger all over and then you will realize how weak you were. The iron will probably bind you up so I always take 2 stool softeners with each pill. Also, vit C with it will help your system absorb it better. Seems like just yesterday I read that Vit E will also help with absorption. I usually get mine from the health food store too b/c food sources of iron are more readily absorbable than the inert stuff. I can't tell a diff though. The more you need the iron the quicker your body will take it up, so you will really notice a difference in the beginning. Blackstrap molasses is also a fantastic source of iron and has lots of other minerals in it too, so if you can deal with the taste (I actually kind of like it) it's good to eat it.

Did your doc have any idea why you are so low? It appears that you're a woman so I'm guessing female troubles? I have fibroids, and I've had some success with treating them with herbs. I've used vitex, which put some space in my 21 day cycles to 26 days, which is a help and then I use shepherd's purse when I start to lighten them and when I had my ultrasound last week they couldn't hardly find the fibroids so it must be helping. I'm still trying to get my iron level up though. Well of course, something is causing your anemia so you will need to address that as well, and I'm sure your doc is checking it out.

Well good luck with this--you'll be amazed at how strong you will feel when your body starts to take up the iron, and your thinking will really clear out too--I get really fuzzy in the brain when I'm low but I don't notice it until I get better.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:50 AM

Yes I have fibroids that are causing alot of blood loss. I hope I get some energy back. I've noticed I have dark circles under my eyes and my memory is not what is used to be.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Yes I have fibroids that are causing alot of blood loss. I hope I get some energy back. I've noticed I have dark circles under my eyes and my memory is not what is used to be.
I give you 2 weeks and you'll feel like superwoman. Your body will suck that iron right up. Are you going to get surgery or explore the herbal solution?

Old 07-21-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I give you 2 weeks and you'll feel like superwoman. Your body will suck that iron right up. Are you going to get surgery or explore the herbal solution?

I'm terrified of being put to sleep so surgery is the last resort. My OB/GYN suggested birth control pills or the mirena IUD but I don't want to take hormones so I don't know what I'm going to do. He said I may heave adenomyosis.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:17 PM

OK LIsalan, try this. Go to the health food store and get some shepherd's purse liquid herbal extract. It's alcohol based, but if you don't have alcohol problems it's better, b/c the dried herb degenerates too quickly. I warn you it tastes awful, but the good news is you don't take it all the time. When you first start your period take a dose--1/2 dropperful should do it. Take that about 3X/day for 2-3 days or until the heaviest part of your period is over. If you catch it right at the beginning, you should cut your flow in half. Then take vitex for the rest of the month. I"m exploring other options though, b/c I wasn't as thrilled with vitex as I thought I'd be--I'll let you know when I've figured out something better. I don't blame you for not wanting surgery--I have the same fears and surgery is always a risk. Also, I'm 51--come on menopause, hurry up! And I don't think ablation is an option for you, is it?

Old 07-22-2010, 12:36 AM

36,979 posts, read 40,961,186 times
Ladies,

While the iron is working, you may want to take some extra vitamin B12 and folic acid, the other nutrients you need to build red blood cells. A prenatal vitamin should do it.

Also, continue the iron for at least 3 months after your hemoglobin number is in the normal range. By the time you are anemic, you have depleted your bone marrow stores of iron. It takes a while to rebuild those stores. Then a vitamin with iron should be sufficient if the source of the blood loss is controlled.

Fibroids buried in the muscle of the uterus usually do not cause bleeding problems; those that are just under the uterine lining frequently do. Many times these can be removed via the hysteroscope, a telescope inserted through the cervix to visualize the uterine cavity. At the same time, the uterine lining can be ablated --- destroyed --- using one of several methods. After the lining is ablated periods are much lighter or disappear altogether.

As far as anesthesia is concerned, a young, otherwise healthy person is at very low risk for complications.

Lisalan ~ adenomyosis is a condition in which the uterine lining tissue burrows into the muscle of the uterus. If it is not too deep, an ablation might get it. Women who have had several children usually tolerate Mirena very well and the amount of hormone you are exposed to is very small. If it works, you can wear it for 5 years. The down side is that if it does not work, the up front cost is significant. Since you are concerned about surgery, trying the Mirena for a few months might be an option to really consider.

Stepka ~ you are right about the Vitamin C and stool softeners. There are iron products that have the softener & iron in the same pill. The vitamin E has a mild blood thinning effect, so I'm not sure I would take it in the context of a bleeding problem.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:12 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,332,882 times
Yes sometimes I'm occasionally anemic. I take a multivitamin with iron almost (hee hee hee) every day. Before I have my "monthly visitor" I eat more spinach, steak and organic blackstrap molasses. I thought too much iron was not beneficial(?) That's mostly why I go light on my supplements. My mom's given us molasses since we were little kids, and it's a good source of iron. I eat organic now because the Man has apparently been poo-ing around with the food supply. My doctor never told me that I had a dangerously low level, though.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:34 PM

574 posts, read 2,039,218 times
My DH just dealt with the same thing. The doctor put him on prescription iron supplements as well and in one month his iron levels were actually higher than they needed to be! His was determined to be because of taking presciption Prilosec for over a year, but he has to be on that because of reflux, so he'll also continue with the supplements. They really should help you feel stronger and better.

Nancy

Old 07-22-2010, 11:43 PM

30 posts, read 72,016 times
I agree about B12. Check your B12 count. If low, take B12 shots and you will feel energetic again. Dont stop Iron Tablets and eat lots of spinach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness