Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 08:42 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

Scientists Appear to Be Warming to the Possibility of a Cure for HIV and AIDS

VIENNA -- For years, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) researchers have shied away from the whole notion of a cure, largely because evidence showed the virus can persist even under intensive treatment.

'Cure' No Longer a Four-Letter Word Among HIV Researchers - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 01:27 PM

207 posts, read 963,661 times
Unfortunately with HIV (as with other chronic diseases such as diabetes) even if the possibility for a cure did arise, it would probably not be realized because of the immense profit generated by the maintenance of the disease. There are thousands of people whose job it is to block research for HIV, diabetes etc. because there is just too much money to be made in the industry of pharmaceuticals that those who are afflicted must continue to use their entire lives. I know it sounds sick and it really is but if you look into the practices of some of these companies, that is exactly what they are doing. What really matters is the money, not the people, and if they can continue to make staggering profits from something that people need to stay alive they will do anything they can to stop a cure. That is why I believe it will never come about. You can say I'm wrong or full of it but I was very close to someone who worked for one of these companies. They actually quit because of the unethical practices of the lobbyists who worked night and day to stop medical research to cure chronic diseases. It's sad but true.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:59 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
I think prevention is better than cure.

I think also that abstinence or using protection is best.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:21 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socstudent View Post
Unfortunately with HIV (as with other chronic diseases such as diabetes) even if the possibility for a cure did arise, it would probably not be realized because of the immense profit generated by the maintenance of the disease. There are thousands of people whose job it is to block research for HIV, diabetes etc. because there is just too much money to be made in the industry of pharmaceuticals that those who are afflicted must continue to use their entire lives. I know it sounds sick and it really is but if you look into the practices of some of these companies, that is exactly what they are doing. What really matters is the money, not the people, and if they can continue to make staggering profits from something that people need to stay alive they will do anything they can to stop a cure. That is why I believe it will never come about. You can say I'm wrong or full of it but I was very close to someone who worked for one of these companies. They actually quit because of the unethical practices of the lobbyists who worked night and day to stop medical research to cure chronic diseases. It's sad but true.

I agree this happens across the board. It's worth noting though, that a legitimate health organization will change their focus as the dynamics of a disease changes. The HIV/AIDS org I work for now focuses on health maintenance, as well as education on prevention.

There are so many different treatments available, it can be a confusing minefield for someone newly diagnosed, or considering treatments for the first time. Companies should be working in partnership to assist with education and information dissemination to people living with HIV/AIDS. It's a shame when unscrupulous corporations give the entire industry a bad name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness