U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-30-2010, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
28,668 posts, read 48,782,962 times
Reputation: 20445

Advertisements

A smoke wafting over from a neighbor's yard makes a family sick. Five people who live off Howard Gap Road in Henderson County had severe reactions to poison ivy. They say a neighbor was burning brush last week and the next day people starting coming down with symptoms.

WLOS ABC 13 News :: Top Stories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2010, 09:31 AM
 
Location: In The Outland
6,023 posts, read 12,237,749 times
Reputation: 3535
Moderator cut: orphaned quote how bad this plant can be and if anyone intends on burning brush they should be aware that if the brush contains a lot of poison ivy, poison oak or poison sumac that it may be best to have the stuff removed before burning. Unless you don't give a crap about your neighbors well being.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-30-2010 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 03:32 PM
 
Location: In the real world!
2,178 posts, read 8,687,858 times
Reputation: 2805
I knew a guy that had it all over his yard so he dressed covering every exposed part of his body and pulled it all up. The next day, he decided to burn it and stood out there to watch the fire to make sure the fire didn't spread.. The breeze blew the smoke in his direction several times.. He ended up with it all over his entire body and wasn't even able to wear clothes for about 2 weeks. It travels in the smoke and from the sound of it, the smoke is worse than the live plant.. I know it caused that man some very serious problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2010, 08:40 PM
 
Location: In The Outland
6,023 posts, read 12,237,749 times
Reputation: 3535
If one breathes the smoke or ingests it they can get a systemic reaction to the uruishol. It is real bad to get in your system compared to getting a dermatitis from skin contact. The more times you get a reaction the more allergic you become to the substance. Some people think you become immune with repeated exposure. Don't believe them. Some people are truly immune but very few.
I know where there is a vine of poison Ivy that climbed up a pine tree and established a vegetation colony up on a lower branch. After some years the branch grew longer carrying the leaf cluster away from the trunk. Now there is a "Tarzan vine" 3/4" in diameter hanging down from the branch about three feet away from the trunk. I need to do a river float to get to this spot and plan on taking some pics of this specimen soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2010, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Happy wherever I am - Florida now
3,359 posts, read 11,126,889 times
Reputation: 3849
I've never had it myself, but I did see a girl in my doctor's office who got it from burning it and her face was swollen to twice it's size and her eyes were practically shut. Awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 02:01 PM
 
Location: chicago,Il. USA
55 posts, read 240,727 times
Reputation: 69
Breathing poison ivy smoke is also very bad, its just the same as breathing treated wood that someone is burning, its VERY bad for your lungs.
It will make you very sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 02:34 PM
 
29,986 posts, read 38,300,854 times
Reputation: 12784
Stupid hurts even when it is the neighbor's stupid behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2010, 01:17 AM
 
Location: California
31,540 posts, read 34,790,778 times
Reputation: 27202
This happened to my mom when she was a kid and she ended up in the hospital becasue it effected her internally. Nasty business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top