U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 06:33 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,540,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Yes....as a matter of fact it does make it right....and seeing as female gynecologists are a relatively recent phenomenon, men have been doing these exams for a loooooong time.

Have you ever had a pelvic exam???

I'm a male and during my training I did pelvic exams on women.....there is NOTHING sexy about a speculum....either for the recipient or the operator...

No one should assume a male gynecologist is "asexual"...one should assume there is very little connection between what goes on in an exam room and a bedroom.
And to bring this to a higher level - I have a female primary care doc (my husband goes to her as well). She does routine pelvic exams and breast exams on me. And I am 99% sure she's gay (and I have good "gaydar"). She's an excellent internist IMO - which is why she's our primary care doc. So should I go out on the town and try to find a woman primary care doc who I am pretty sure is straight (although you can never be 100% sure)? When we lived in Miami - we had a dermatologist (he was also a friend) who was definitely a gay guy. So should only I have gone to him - and not my husband . When I'm sick - I just want to get well. With the hekp of the best doctors I can find. That's it. I don't have the time to deal with any irrelevant nonsense. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

3,627 posts, read 13,137,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
These days most doctors --- male or female --- are likely to have a chaperon present during exams. This is not to protect the patient from the doctor, but to protect the doctor form the patient.
So true. I was/am so concerned when my son in law went into teaching. I have zero concern about the boy - he is a wonderful young man whom I have seen around young girls (he and my daughter have two daughters) and older girls and don't have a concern at all about his behavior or "sexual urges".

I am so concerned somebody is going to come up with some story some day as he is somewhat strict and authoritative (but you need some of that too - he is not sarcastic or mean, but he expects his kids to behave and doesnt feel a need to be 'one of the kids') and I could see someone wanting to get even with him - and one smart ass kid could ruin his life.

Doctors must face this every day. Doctors have money and that makes them real good targets.

23,417 posts, read 32,613,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I'd also like to know the level of education of Modest Woman?
Yes, I would like to know that as well.
In her opening statement, she said she was quite young when she began to form this "theory" of hers, and questioned her mother on it.
How young?
4?
12?
18?
I suspect that if OP is not a troll, then there are some deep, underlying issues at play here.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:40 PM

25,154 posts, read 30,047,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
So true. I was/am so concerned when my son in law went into teaching. I have zero concern about the boy - he is a wonderful young man whom I have seen around young girls (he and my daughter have two daughters) and older girls and don't have a concern at all about his behavior or "sexual urges".

I am so concerned somebody is going to come up with some story some day as he is somewhat strict and authoritative (but you need some of that too - he is not sarcastic or mean, but he expects his kids to behave and doesnt feel a need to be 'one of the kids') and I could see someone wanting to get even with him - and one smart ass kid could ruin his life.

Doctors must face this every day. Doctors have money and that makes them real good targets.
It is not only male teachers that have to be concerned. I think it is a shame that a teacher cannot give a child a hug these days without being worried that he --- or she --- will be accused of inappropriate behavior. It just about has gotten to the point that any teacher would be afraid to be alone with any student.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It is not only male teachers that have to be concerned. I think it is a shame that a teacher cannot give a child a hug these days without being worried that he --- or she --- will be accused of inappropriate behavior. It just about has gotten to the point that any teacher would be afraid to be alone with any student.
And I think the internet has played a role in some of this. I mean things like this are probably not happening any more than they ever did but an event in a small town in Iowa has the entire nation focused on it when before we just saw what went on around us. People are SCARED anymore! SCARED of everything.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:16 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,540,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post

Other people face it as well. My husband and I - both retired lawyers - would be excellent tutors for kids who need help in things like high school math. But perhaps 5-10 years ago - our homeowners' insurance stopped covering any sexual harassment claims. We have a fair amount of money - and would be easy targets for anyone who's willing to lie (more people than you think - and it wouldn't be only girls filing false complaints - it might be guys too). So we don't lift a hand to help where help is needed. Shame on our society for getting us to this sorry state of affairs. Robyn

Old 08-05-2010, 07:19 PM

7,285 posts, read 13,964,552 times
I could care less. I have a female primary care provider, and a female gastroenterologist. I could really care less about the gender difference... they've seen it all. Many times.

I do, however, understand that some people want to maintain a gender boundary. I think it's important for patients and providers to consider.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:20 PM

As a member of a volunteer search and rescue team, our single biggest team expense is liability insurance!

Old 08-06-2010, 01:05 AM

31,493 posts, read 34,731,017 times
The internet has shown the world that there are some might strange people and ideas. And I'm not talking about the vajazzling.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:15 AM

9,940 posts, read 16,548,954 times
While I do think some of this thread is ridiculous, there is a point here, too. Patients, especially those in non-emergency settings, do deserve dignity. I object to the way they go about exams, barely half-closing the door, someone coming in while an exam is going on, gigling students taking notes, all that does make a patient uncomfortable and not able to be as free with their discussion of their symptoms.

I had a transvaginal US done as part of a pregnancy test, next thing I knew 20 medical students, all with their clipboards, filed into the room, after I was "positioned" I asked the nurse to take the US wand out. sat up and asked why all the students. The stock answer, well, they have to learn somehow. I pointed out they wouldn't learn anything watching me draped in a humilating position while watching a tv screen. I suggested a better way to learn would be for the students to observe the machine when not in use, observe some us films without the patient present, and, if they really felt there was something to be gained seeing the woman laying under the sheets with that thing stuck ih her have one of the female medical students or nurses volunteer to play "dummy" Sorry, I didn't consider it part of my role as a patient to de a display model. It cleared the room!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness