U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 09:25 PM

1,256 posts, read 3,067,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Ugh, last year I had to have a scrotal ultrasound done by a young female nurse (and I'm gay). It was a bit uncomfortable when the nurse entered the room, dimmed the lights, turned on some music, and proceeded to coat by balls with jelly.
Just close your eyes, and picture Brad Pitt.

Ugh, I had a cystoscopy a while back. I'm straight, the nurse was female, and kinda cute. However, the unpleasantnesses associated with the procedure kept my mind off of those facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 04:39 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,538,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Ugh, last year I had to have a scrotal ultrasound done by a young female nurse (and I'm gay). It was a bit uncomfortable when the nurse entered the room, dimmed the lights, turned on some music, and proceeded to coat by balls with jelly.
Sounds like a real hardship . Robyn

Old 08-10-2010, 04:42 PM

8,778 posts, read 17,190,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Sounds like a real hardship . Robyn
I think the OP indicated that it was actually a deflating experience for him.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:05 PM

9,412 posts, read 12,085,958 times
Trust me, nurses are not comparing, rating or doing anything that could remotely be called fun when handling a male patients junk.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:16 PM

9,938 posts, read 16,545,479 times
This may be a bit OT, but I get sick of health care "professionals' getting too personal. Especially, I'm sick of people hugging me, patting me, etc.

Yesterday I went to the doc for some tests, including MRI's. The entire schedule was screwed up, to the point of them telling me I should come back and re schedule, even though it was their fault. They kept hugging me, patting me, etc, as though that would "soothe" me into forgiving their errors.

I responded by hugging them back. One nurse was particularly obnoxious, I was in a wheelchair, which put me right at arm's reach, she kept hugging me. So, I just reached up and hugged her back. I got her in a "hold" she couldn't get out of easily, and kept hugging her, patting her, in short, everything she was doing to me. I also called her sweetie, honey, etc, all the things she kept calling me (BTW, I'm 55 years old, you don't call a woman that age "sweetie. Well, she finally got the message, she pulled away (hey, I was just trying to be "nice' and make her feel "comfortable").

Why do people in the health care professions think they can engage in socially inappropriate behavior, such as hugging, patting, etc? Patients are customers not little babies to be soothed. If a customer went in to buy a car, would the salesman start hugging them and calling them sweetie? I think not!

Yet the average car costs far less than many medical procedures. I think all patients ask is that their dignity be respected, and be treated the way you would any other paying customer.

How would it be if I initiated such behavior? Lets say I went into a doctor's office and immediately started hugging all the staff, patting them, rubbing their backs, calling them sweetie, etc? Hardly appropriate behavior. I wish the medical profession would cut that crap out and realize a patient is a paying customer, not someone who has given up all dignity by virtue of simply being there.

Try doing their job, instead of "soothing" the "hysterical" patient. BTW, I had good reason to be upset with the staff, I had waited a month for an appt and tests, every single thing was completely screwed up and their answer to that was to "soothe" me with "the healing power of touch" instead of unraveling their own mistakes and do their job right, that would "soothe" me more than a back rub!

Old 08-11-2010, 03:20 PM

25,141 posts, read 30,041,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
This may be a bit OT, but I get sick of health care "professionals' getting too personal. Especially, I'm sick of people hugging me, patting me, etc.

Yesterday I went to the doc for some tests, including MRI's. The entire schedule was screwed up, to the point of them telling me I should come back and re schedule, even though it was their fault. They kept hugging me, patting me, etc, as though that would "soothe" me into forgiving their errors.

I responded by hugging them back. One nurse was particularly obnoxious, I was in a wheelchair, which put me right at arm's reach, she kept hugging me. So, I just reached up and hugged her back. I got her in a "hold" she couldn't get out of easily, and kept hugging her, patting her, in short, everything she was doing to me. I also called her sweetie, honey, etc, all the things she kept calling me (BTW, I'm 55 years old, you don't call a woman that age "sweetie. Well, she finally got the message, she pulled away (hey, I was just trying to be "nice' and make her feel "comfortable").

Why do people in the health care professions think they can engage in socially inappropriate behavior, such as hugging, patting, etc? Patients are customers not little babies to be soothed. If a customer went in to buy a car, would the salesman start hugging them and calling them sweetie? I think not!

Yet the average car costs far less than many medical procedures. I think all patients ask is that their dignity be respected, and be treated the way you would any other paying customer.

How would it be if I initiated such behavior? Lets say I went into a doctor's office and immediately started hugging all the staff, patting them, rubbing their backs, calling them sweetie, etc? Hardly appropriate behavior. I wish the medical profession would cut that crap out and realize a patient is a paying customer, not someone who has given up all dignity by virtue of simply being there.

Try doing their job, instead of "soothing" the "hysterical" patient. BTW, I had good reason to be upset with the staff, I had waited a month for an appt and tests, every single thing was completely screwed up and their answer to that was to "soothe" me with "the healing power of touch" instead of unraveling their own mistakes and do their job right, that would "soothe" me more than a back rub!

Marylee,

Sorry you had such a bad time. I take it that you did not get your procedures completed. I hope it will be over soon.

I think that the behaviors you are describing are probably to an extent regional --- sure sounds Southern to me!

But if you find them uncomfortable, let the staff know. Otherwise, they'll just keep doing it. Probably the best thing would be to tell your doctor they need to tone it down a bit.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:36 PM

3,627 posts, read 13,136,880 times
I have spent my entire life in the South and never had that kind of experience........WOW.........

Old 08-11-2010, 05:34 PM

I did get the procedures done, after explaining to them it was due to their screw up, and hugging me wasn't going to right the situation.

We ended up going to another facility on the other side of town for the MRI, but it was better to do that than come back in another 1-2 weeks.

I realize this isn't quite the topic of this thread, but I do wish medical personnel would learn how to treat patients. Knock off the crap and just treat them like any other paying customer, with dignity and respect.

BTW, the facility I wetn to was staffed mostly by foreign techs. To a one, they were polite, compentent, treated me with respect, and didn't get silly because I was in a wheelchair. You'd think medical personnel would get over that one, funny, "foreigners" are better -mannered than so called "natives".

Hey, all I wanted was for them to do their job, which seemed to be beyond them, so they decided hugging and patting me was the answer.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:34 PM

6 posts, read 18,899 times
We all have privacy rights under the law and the right to refuse student participation. While most people like to help students achieve their educational goals, everyone's life experience is different. For those who have a history of sexual abuse, assault or psychological torture, exposing their bodies in front of a room full of strangers of mixed gender is overwhelming and causes mental trauma. All treatment should be about the patient "to do no harm" whether psychological or physical. Some people value their mental health more than their physical health. Ignoring these patients only adds to their sense of mistrust, humiliation and avoidance of medical procedures in the future.
marjorie starr 3723

Old 10-15-2010, 11:45 PM

I just came across this silly thread, it reminds me of somehting I read about a few months ago.

A woman in a nursing home stated she didn't want anyone of color treating her. Only white attendants. Well, over half the staff was black.

One day she had a stroke, fell, and the only ones around were black. They just stood there frustrated, because they knew from past experience they would be reprimanded if they approached her. The long and short of it---she died while trained, competent medical personnel stood by helplessly.

My heart goes out to the medical staff who's hands were tied. Such a situation to be in! That patient should never have been accepted under such circumstances.

A few months ago I tripped and fell in a doctor's office. A black couple came to my aid (I'm white) while a whole wiating room full of white people just looked at me. If it weren't for the quick actions of that black couple, I probably would have sustained serious injury. I'm forever grateful to those "black people"

To those with the modesty issues, would you rather have a life-threatening issue with your "privates" and your modesty protected while you die? Get over it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness