U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2010, 07:21 PM

6 posts, read 18,925 times

Advertisements

Robyn,

Would you have been more comfortable with a same gender team?
marjoriestar 3723
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 08:56 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,551,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjorie Starr View Post
Robyn,

Would you have been more comfortable with a same gender team?
marjoriestar 3723
Not in the surgery (which was not at all yucky IMO - it was actually quite pleasant once the sedation drugs hit my IV ). And with the yucky MRI - except for a couple of techs - both female - who were with me now and then in the MRI room - everyone who was involved was behind walls. I frankly don't know the genders of all the people who were looking at the MRI films as I was going through the procedure - and then saying that I should do this - that or the other thing to get more views - except for the single female voice that was coming through my headphones.

The yuckiest part of the MRI was pushing the gel out of orifices - kind of like - well you know what. And that was done totally alone - in an empty room with me in an MRI machine. Kind of gross - and would have been gross regardless of the gender of people who were involved in the procedure. An unpleasant (but totally non-painful) procedure that allowed my doctors to pinpoint my diagnosis exactly. FWIW - this test is done in sophisticated medical facilities - and is used for the most part so doctors can map out with great precision the kind of surgery older women need when they're having problems with incontinence or gynecological discomfort (I was unusual in that the MRI found pelvic cysts - and not urogynecological problems). I reckon it's better to be a little embarrassed for 30 minutes than to wear Depends or have uncomfortable cysts for the next 20+ years.

I don't think yucky stuff is any more pleasant if medical people of your gender administer it or watch it. And some yucky stuff - like colonoscopy prep - well you do that at home - members of your family are there - whatever genders they happen to be.

And - like I've said - it's not like we're talking about anything painful - or life threatening - like cancer (although an MRI like the one I had could show cancer). There are lots of things in medicine that are worse than a little yucky. I guess when you get to my age - you're content to deal with the occasional small yucky test/procedure as opposed to something where you might be dead next year. And this kind of thing is indeed small in the scheme of things. My mother died a painful death from colon cancer because she couldn't face the idea of a colostomy (a huge yucky for most people). I think modern medicine is wonderful in many respects - and am not inclined to work myself into a lather if it causes me some minor inconvenience. Robn

Old 10-18-2010, 11:56 PM

9,952 posts, read 16,561,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjorie Starr View Post
Marylee,

You see this as a silly thread. There are more people who do not. Additionally, it is our legal right to refuse treatment for any reason as long as we're mentally competent and who are you to stand in judgment? It's important that all sides of this issue are evaluated, that we all be tolerant.
marjoriestar3723
wow, how silly of me!

Old 10-19-2010, 12:12 AM

I find talking in front of groups difficult, to say the least. I've had severe trauma while "forced' to speak in front of groups, such as school projects,l etc. It was so bad I just declined any public speaking aspects of my last jobs, I simply told my teamates I'd rather devote my energies to something I could do, I simply couldn't do public presentations.

Which makes it extremely difficult for me to go to any type of teaching hospital. Usually they never ask, just burst upon you with 10-20 giggling medical students, writing in notebooks, staring at you like some sort of freak, and analyzing your every move. I've found it simply impossible to communicate with the "doctor" in such a setting. And, BTW, Newsflash---you PAY in a teaching hospital, the same if not more than a private doctor. In consideration of the fact that patients are paying customers and their feelings should be considered, you should at least be asked permission first, and given a chance to say NO. But it never works out that way.

I've been having neurological problems for the last several months, including balance and coordination issues. I've been round and round with doctors, and no diagnosis, let alone treatment. Now they want to refer me to a teaching hospital for a 3 day workup, includes every test in the book (and probably every $ in my bank account). I hesitate to go, simply because I can't abide the thought of being stared at by giggling medical students for 3 straight days. I'm looking for another referral, to a private clinic. I just explained to my doctor that, although this referral might provide good data, I think the same date can be obtained without traumatizing me. I'm starting to agree with some of the posters on this thread. However, in an emergency setting, any modesty would have to fly out the window.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:14 AM

44,246 posts, read 54,872,170 times
That's funny. I don't remember anyone ever giggling in consults the whole time I was in medical school. Even a weird look on your face would earn you an earful in the director's office.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:28 PM

530 posts, read 2,652,914 times
Many years ago, when I was about 20 or so years old, I had a surgical procedure that required hospitalization of a few nights. It also required the use of a catheter (I am a male). Sometime after the surgery, when I was recuperating, a very young, very attractive nurse came into my room and told me she needed to remove my catheter. She may have been younger than me at the time--maybe a candy striper type? Anyway, while this may sound like the introduction to a letter to Penthouse, the reality was incredibly embarrassing and humilating, especially as she was having significant problems getting it out.

Anyway, I survived and had a funny story to tell my buddies after it was all over...

Old 10-19-2010, 01:17 PM

25,235 posts, read 30,087,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
Many years ago, when I was about 20 or so years old, I had a surgical procedure that required hospitalization of a few nights. It also required the use of a catheter (I am a male). Sometime after the surgery, when I was recuperating, a very young, very attractive nurse came into my room and told me she needed to remove my catheter. She may have been younger than me at the time--maybe a candy striper type? Anyway, while this may sound like the introduction to a letter to Penthouse, the reality was incredibly embarrassing and humilating, especially as she was having significant problems getting it out.

Anyway, I survived and had a funny story to tell my buddies after it was all over...

Would not have been a Candy Striper. Not allowed to do patient care.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's funny. I don't remember anyone ever giggling in consults the whole time I was in medical school. Even a weird look on your face would earn you an earful in the director's office.

Oh, really? Usually "the doctor" is the one encouraging the giggles. They are playing to their audience, the students, who follow his lead.

I assume you're a medical student. Just one question---do you have any idea how much the patient is paying for the privilege of being treated like a circus sideshow freak? I oftentimes thought it would be good to present to all the staff the bill the patient is sent. Even with insurance, the bill is over the roof!Not to mention what we pay just to get there, gas, parking, toll, many times overnight hotel, etc.

No thnaks, I will find a private clinic, for the same money, where the focus is on me, not entertaining "the doctor".

Last edited by MaryleeII; 10-19-2010 at 03:16 PM..

Old 10-19-2010, 02:30 PM

23,417 posts, read 32,634,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Oh, really? Usually "the doctor" is the one encouraging the giggles. They are playing to their audience, the students, who follow his lead.
How many years have you been in the medical field?

Old 10-19-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
How many years have you been in the medical field?

Did you mean me? I've been a "patient" for about 30 years, worked at various ancillary jobs, such as aide, unit clerk, etc. My main experience has been as a patient, not sure if that's what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness