U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 04:22 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,545,333 times

Advertisements

I think the concept of "interns" is kind of out of date. Are you talking about residents? FWIW - I think there are absolutely some things you want senior residents to do. Like maybe a spinal tap (if they're doing 5 a week). Better than having the senior doc who hasn't done one in six months giving it a try. Likewise - sometimes a nurse is better than the resident on call (particularly if the nurse is experienced and the resident is brand new). I've only been in a hospital twice. But - the first time - my IV infiltrated in the middle of the night. Resident was afraid to touch it. Nurse wasn't (she pulled it out fast - infiltrating IVs are nasty).

And then sometimes it's good to have a senior guy around. My late FIL was admitted into the Mayo ER with 2 collapsed lungs - and the ER doc was clearly a little uncomfortable with the procedure he had to do (sticking big tubes into the collapsed lungs). Luckily - a world class heart guy on the transplant team was "in the house" - and he came down in minutes and did the procedure without a moment's hesitation. FWIW - the procedure is pretty amazing. Patient looks on death's doorstep one minute - and looks ready to walk out the door 5 minutes later.

IOW - I think a good rule of thumb is you want a medical person who is doing something a lot - regardless of "rank".

Also - I am not sure what objection you would have to a senior resident participating in a procedure or operation. A lot of senior residents are in their 4th-5th or more year of training post-medical school. They are frequently more in touch with the newest surgical approaches and techniques than their 60 year old colleagues. And even if there isn't anything new under the sun - this senior resident will probably be board certified in a couple of years and "the captain of the ship" on a surgical team. How will this senior resident get the experience it takes to assume this position without participating in procedures or operations?

FWIW - as a lawyer - where we don't learn anything before going out in the world to "practice" on clients - I very much admire the system of medical education we have in the United States. Where knowledge is both passed from senior physicians who have more experience to junior physicians who have less - and from junior physicians who are frequently closest to the newest advances to senior physicians who may be a bit out of touch. Many (most?) people in the US who have surgery will have a "team". When I have surgery (knock wood not too often) - I'd like to have the strongest possible team in there working for me. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 07:15 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,919,091 times
No, he was introduced as an "intern." I've had a general anesthesia for surgeries more than 10 times and that doesn't count the small stuff like colonoscopies, spinal taps, etc.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:15 AM

6 posts, read 18,909 times
An intern is someone who has graduated from medical school and is in his/her first experience as a doctor. They are managed by the residents who have graduated and completed their internship.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:13 AM

25,201 posts, read 30,070,230 times
Most training programs now just refer to those in their first year out of medical school as first year residents or postgraduate year one (PGY1).

The old rotating internship has pretty much disappeared, although some people may do a "transitional" year before beginning a residency.

And they were originally called "residents" because they lived in the hospital. I suspect for most of them, they pretty much feel as if they still do so.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:34 AM

4 posts, read 11,451 times
I just had a colonoscpy this week and was totally scared that any modesty that I had would be thrown out the window. I'm a 55 year old guy and had it done at a VA hospital. Don't laugh, the VA system is one of the very best nowadays; in the past it was really bad. I requested a female doctor and no sedation (I'm a control freak) and they honored my request. The young woman who was my doctor was wonderful and totally honest about doing such an intimate exam with me wide awake and able to rememver the exam (they usually give Versed to cause amnesia). She was totally professional but really, really nice. She told me not to worry about being exposed, she and her 2 female assistants will be looking at the monitor not your naked body (which will be covered anyway). I told her that I was comfortable with her; she mentioned that I would be farting a lot from the air that she injects thru the scope and not to worry about that. On the day of the exam, they were all reall nice and everyone was totally respectful....more than necessary. Even though we were doing the exam without drugs, the doctor had an anesthesiologist there just in case, in her words: "this screening colonoscopy becomes a screaming colonoscopy"...the anesthesiologist was a total hoot; she was actually making me laugh with her fart jokes and telling me that I might want some of the sedative (propofol) that she had ready in a syringe, just in case the exam was too painful...she also told me that propofol often causes erections, so not to worry about that! I was ready to bare my butt for 3 pretty women who were totally professional; something that I never thought that I would do. The exam was easy and one of the nurses held my hand constantly; the anesthesiologist quipped: "we do that with unsedated patients so that you can't hit us if we hurt you"....after the exam, I still had severe gas pains; it was weird to have all of these women standing over me encouraging me to fart, but no luck. The anesthesiologist told me that she was going to give me some IV painkiller (job security for her), she did and they rolled me onto my side and the doctor spread my butt cheeks and inserted a rectal tube. Still no embarassment; one nurse rubbed my shoulders (seriously) and the anethesiologist told me to take a nap. I woke up gas-free as one nurse was wiping KY off of my anus. At no time was modesty an issue; they treated me like a king. They were much nicer than they had to be. I now have to get yearly exams and have absolutely no anxiety or modesty issues with this. Actually, the anesthesiologist (who was quite graphic about bodily functions, in a nice way) called me the day after the procedure and suggsted that I let her put me out for the next exam...even though the exam isn't painful, she said that way too many people are grossed out by what happens that they won't return for repeat exams; and that's how you die from embarassment.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:50 PM

9,946 posts, read 16,555,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newpatient2011 View Post
I just had a colonoscpy this week and was totally scared that any modesty that I had would be thrown out the window. I'm a 55 year old guy and had it done at a VA hospital. Don't laugh, the VA system is one of the very best nowadays; in the past it was really bad. I requested a female doctor and no sedation (I'm a control freak) and they honored my request. The young woman who was my doctor was wonderful and totally honest about doing such an intimate exam with me wide awake and able to rememver the exam (they usually give Versed to cause amnesia). She was totally professional but really, really nice. She told me not to worry about being exposed, she and her 2 female assistants will be looking at the monitor not your naked body (which will be covered anyway). I told her that I was comfortable with her; she mentioned that I would be farting a lot from the air that she injects thru the scope and not to worry about that. On the day of the exam, they were all reall nice and everyone was totally respectful....more than necessary. Even though we were doing the exam without drugs, the doctor had an anesthesiologist there just in case, in her words: "this screening colonoscopy becomes a screaming colonoscopy"...the anesthesiologist was a total hoot; she was actually making me laugh with her fart jokes and telling me that I might want some of the sedative (propofol) that she had ready in a syringe, just in case the exam was too painful...she also told me that propofol often causes erections, so not to worry about that! I was ready to bare my butt for 3 pretty women who were totally professional; something that I never thought that I would do. The exam was easy and one of the nurses held my hand constantly; the anesthesiologist quipped: "we do that with unsedated patients so that you can't hit us if we hurt you"....after the exam, I still had severe gas pains; it was weird to have all of these women standing over me encouraging me to fart, but no luck. The anesthesiologist told me that she was going to give me some IV painkiller (job security for her), she did and they rolled me onto my side and the doctor spread my butt cheeks and inserted a rectal tube. Still no embarassment; one nurse rubbed my shoulders (seriously) and the anethesiologist told me to take a nap. I woke up gas-free as one nurse was wiping KY off of my anus. At no time was modesty an issue; they treated me like a king. They were much nicer than they had to be. I now have to get yearly exams and have absolutely no anxiety or modesty issues with this. Actually, the anesthesiologist (who was quite graphic about bodily functions, in a nice way) called me the day after the procedure and suggsted that I let her put me out for the next exam...even though the exam isn't painful, she said that way too many people are grossed out by what happens that they won't return for repeat exams; and that's how you die from embarassment.
I'll bet they're talking about you still!

Really, if modesty were such a concern, I'd welcome being put out, then I could pretend it never happened!why did you want a female doc? You're still involved with your farts, anus, erection, etc, but trust me, they could care less!

BTW, did you get a bill for anesthesia? They still put in their time, set up their equipment, etc, I'd say don't let it go to waste!

Trust me, no one gives a hoot about your toots!

Old 05-14-2011, 09:26 PM

4 posts, read 11,451 times
Default modesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I'll bet they're talking about you still!

Really, if modesty were such a concern, I'd welcome being put out, then I could pretend it never happened!why did you want a female doc? You're still involved with your farts, anus, erection, etc, but trust me, they could care less!

BTW, did you get a bill for anesthesia? They still put in their time, set up their equipment, etc, I'd say don't let it go to waste!

Trust me, no one gives a hoot about your toots!
Marylee:

Good questions: I asked for a female doc because I'm somewhat of an authority regarding internal medicine (certianly not gastro) and I have an annoying habit of talking my usual providers out of any test (colonoscopies) that they might suggest; it's easy when as a patient you know the facts and figueres as well as they do and it's easy to "win" the argument. Stupid, I know. But, with good female physicians, I don't have that problem,,they just look you straight in the eye and tell me that: "you need this test, what will it take to make you comfortable with getting one"? Even with my know-it-all attitude, I can't argue with a female physician...Guy to guy, I can win the argument ; they have a limited time to argue..Most female docs are like pit bulls if they think that a patient really needs something (they won't let go) ; this attitude probably saved my life.... Weird, I know. No bill for anesthesia (professional courtesy)...didn't matter if she did anything or not...I never thought about the costs involved; I got the best providers in town and got to fart in front of people that I work with every day. Good thing; I just found out that I now need yearly exams......lucky me.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:48 PM

2,185 posts, read 4,267,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newpatient2011 View Post
I am so glad I was sedated for mine. There's some things I rather not be aware of.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:35 AM

2,031 posts, read 4,845,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I sure can't imagine people refusing their emergency coronary bypass surgeries when they can't put together an all female cardiothoracic surgery team! CPR? Defibrillation? That's a NO unless there are no male EMTs around!

I see nothing wrong with people doing pelvic exams when I'm under anesthesia, as long as it is done for educational purposes under the supervision of an attending physician. If it will make somebody a better doctor in the future, so be it. There is always a bad apple ruining the reputation of other doctors - but I guarantee you that in the cases where the doctor is molesting his patients, it *will* be in an environment where there are no nurses, residents, or medical students around to witness.

It's ALWAYS a hindrance to your OWN medical care AND to the teaching of future doctors if you get hung up on details, but fail to see the big picture of your general treatment plan. If you really care that much about modesty, please go to a private hospital. Do NOT go to a teaching hospital. Problem solved.

Truly sick people don't care about most of these things. They are too busy struggling to live. These are the people who appreciate teaching hospitals... and vice versa. In some of the rarer specialties you will be hard pressed to find a doctor of a specific gender on any given day. There might just be one doctor in that hospital for that specialty - in which case you are stuck. In those cases it has nothing to do with "lack of consideration".
If a Dr did a pelvic exam that was medically unneccesary, without the patients SPECIFIC consent, it would be sexual assault.

If you really care that much about modesty, please go to a private hospital. Do NOT go to a teaching hospital. Problem solved.

So you're saying that teaching hospitals are less likely to respect patients modesty and privacy?

Truly sick people don't care about most of these things. They are too busy struggling to live.

But this is why ALL medical professionals should be the patients advocate.

Have you heard of the Hippocratic oath?

Old 05-24-2011, 11:53 PM

4,100 posts, read 6,325,402 times
Would you rather complain about your modesty or die? If I were a doctor and someone complained to me about another doctor 'violating their modesty', I would refuse to see them or help them. I had a woman that worked for me who insisted on having a female doctor examine her for a stomach problem. She put off going to the doctor because a female doctor was not available and eventually died from cancer at about age 41, had she visited a male doctor instead of waiting for a female to see her, she might have lived. In 1993 I was hospitalized for complications from gallbladder surgery in and out of the hospital for 7 months. I had an older female nurse that bathed me and always told me "I could finish washing down there" , one day a very young woman replaced her, she asked "do you want me to wash that or not", when I said I didn't care she didn't hesitate, and it didn't bother either of us. Sometimes we use poor judgement when it comes to modesty. While I was a law enforcement officer I nearly had to deliver a baby, I would have gladly done that rather than let a person suffer.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 05-25-2011 at 12:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness