U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 02:52 AM

3,627 posts, read 13,138,685 times

Advertisements

There really are some issues going on with your quirky attitudes and my concern is real if you have kids. My kids grew up around people with your kind of attitudes.

I was quite casual about my own daughters seeing a naked baby or young boy, and we did not freak out of there was a glimpse in the family. We certainly did NOT parade around nude in front of our kids (neither me or my husband) and taught some level of personal modesty as it is a societal norm. I actually don't parade around naked in front of my own husband either (though there is no modesty between the two of us)

Some of our neighbors, however, were very puritanical. As a result the kids were so intrigued by the "forbidden fruit" that they became obsessed with it to an unhealhy level. So unhealhty that I had to keep my girls away from one of the boys as he forcibly tried to remove her clothes several times and a different girl (antoher neighbor different time and place) was known for her willingess to do odd sex acts in middle schol. My kids, on the other hand, learned their bodies were beautiful, knew what boys looked like, and honestly were more interested in playing sports etc. It was just no big deal.

Think about it. What makes a women's breasts sexual and a men's not? I can assure you that men have sexual sensation there. Would you expect me to cover inside my elbows, behind my ears, and inisde my knees because those are areas with many "turn on" receptors. Should only a woman doctor touch behind my female ears or my neck? I am going to assume that you would have the same views about allowing a woman to breastfeed in public because a man may get a glimpse. You do know all of the sexual body parts actually do have a biological function?

Such views are promulgated in some very strict sects of Islam where the womans head must be covered. How is this healthier? So now a woman's nakdeness is so sacred, heaven forbid, another man lays eyes on her or violates her body that she is often killed by her brothers to resolve the shame? That is the next place you can take this silly view because it is all shades of grey.

Well the bottom line is YOU can choose to refuse treatment due to your silly obsession. Your kids will turn out whacko and then you will complain that it is the "liberal sex laden views of society" that did it to them and not you. Now if you don't believe men should be gynecologists, I would like to put you in a room with someone with an equally whacky view that women should not be allowed to obtain higher education because you know that is still out there too. Hmmmmmmm. no men gynecologists and no education for women midwives and doula's ....that way everyone is happy

I am MUCH more concerned that my nurse may have been working a "24" and the odd fatiguing stressful hours medical staff do work than anything so trivial as a naked body.

Last edited by grannynancy; 08-03-2010 at 03:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 07:25 AM

44,246 posts, read 54,841,160 times
I think we've completely left the realm of modesty (like we let the patients run around naked, anyway) and just driven off Krazy Cliff.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:27 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,216,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modest Woman View Post
important for a person's life to be saved even if she/he loses some modesty. She/he will feel violated and the sexual part of his/her marriage may not be as sacred as it used to be..
This is pretty presumptuous. I do not feel violated. Not at all. And believe me, the OB was not the only one who saw everything there is to see on this body. I am grateful for every single person who was involved in stopping the blood loss and starting the transfusion and everything in between. I was surrounded by EMTs and nurses and more than one doctor and raced through the halls of the hospital by whoever was available, I'm sure.

I'd put an awful lot of money on the fact that not one of them could have cared any less about my state of undress.

And the sexual part of my marriage is just fine. Thanks.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:28 AM

5,312 posts, read 11,488,903 times
Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with male pharmacists filling out prescriptions such as yeast infection medicines for female patients. Women never have to disrobe for a pharmacist in order to get a prescription. That's totally different from male ob/gyn who gets to see and examine private parts of women who he is not married to.

Let me ask you a question. Since you think it is okay for men to be gynecologists, what do you think about men who want to become bra fitters at Belk's? Belk's will only hire females to be bra fitters. I encourage men in this discussion who don't see anything wrong with male gynecologists to call Belk's and see if they can apply to be bra fitters. They would think that men who wanted to be bra fitters are perverted. Male gynecologists are not morally above other men. If it is okay for a man to be a gynecologist, why is it not okay for a man to be a bra fitter at Belk's or another clothing store?

If you do a deep research on Google, you will find out that many male doctors have gotten aroused by doing gynecological exams on women. One doctor felt so convicted that he gave up doing gynecological exams and he said tha his wife only goes to a female ob/gyn. There are doctors and nurses out there who do understand my convictions clearly.
Lady, don't kid yourself, there aren't any doctors or nurses who "understand" your convictions.

They would abide by them, and trust me, I have no doubt you send off a vibe that would have any male provider looking for the nearest exit from your room...

A big part of your problem is the fact that you seem to see no difference between a "bra fitter" who could easily be a high school dropout with 15 minutes of "training" and an MD who has gone through 4 years of Medical school and a minimum of a 4 year residency to become a gynecologist.

Medicine is a profession

Bra fitting is a "job"

A physician, PA, NP, nurse.....they all devote their lives to study and treatment of human disease. We deal with vomit, urine, feces, phlegm on a daily basis....

We put our hands in all sorts of "cavities" both natural and man made...

We see people at their best and worst, on the way out and on their way in to the world....

And yes...we see people in the "buff".....every day.....many times over....its part of the job.

You want to restrict OB's to females only??

What about ER physicians, general surgeons, pediatricians, urologists, internists......guess what....they ALL have to do pelvic exams on women on a ROUTINE BASIS.....

You aren't going to win any converts to your warped world view so why not just give it up already....

Old 08-03-2010, 09:52 AM

24 posts, read 178,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Lady, don't kid yourself, there aren't any doctors or nurses who "understand" your convictions.
You said that there were no nurses or doctors who understood the convictions. That is not true. I think you should check out some other sources of a nursing student and doctor below. Many of them are afraid to speak up because they know they will be criticized harshly.

There is a Christian nursing student on another source who has this conviction. Look at what she shared.

[SIZE=3]I am a Christian, and both my husband and I only see doctors/nurses of the same sex. We feel strongly regarding patient modesty that intimate procedures should only be performed by the same sex health care professionals. Right now I am in a dilemma though because I am also a first semester nursing student. Right now I am learning intimate procedures that are meant to be performed on both male and female patients. I have spoken to my professors asking if I can only perform these skills on female patients and so far have stared at me like I have two heads. When did it become okay for health professionals to perform intimate procedures on the opposite sex? What are some tips I could use to advocate same sex procedures?[/SIZE]

You also should check out what a doctor said at Male Gynecologist - [domain blocked due to spam]. He used to do gynecological exams, but felt they were wrong so he gave up doing them.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:56 AM

523 posts, read 3,507,912 times
she is a first trimester nursing student. not the same as a qualified doctor or nurse. and let me assure you, if she is only prepared to learn how to do procedures on half the population, she won't even be a student for very long, let alone a qualified nurse.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:18 AM

3,627 posts, read 13,138,685 times
Modest Woman

I think you can find a LOT of anything to support any argument on the internet
Just because a few people feel this way does not mean the bulk of society does or should - THIS thread is just a ramdom sampling of normal folks, most of whom have been on one side or the other of medical nudity and the overwhelming consensus does not support your viewpoint.

And please, don't tie up your convictions with Christianity. There are plenty of Christians who do NOT share them, myself included.

I got to thinking about this and, yes, there are doctors who take advantage of people of the opposite sex.............as are clergy, teachers, lawyers, dentists, etc. Doctors are humans like anyone else and I imagine (having been through 2 childbirths of my own and 2 grandkids) that it is the rare, sick, doctor who gets sexual urges from all this.

Have you ever witnessed a childbirth? It is smelly, bloody, slimy, and noisy and, were it not for the miracle of life that is the result, I think more people would be inclined to puke than anything else. Have you ever had a male gynecologist examine you? In my 55 years on earth I have had plenty and each time a female nurse has been present in the room and not once have I felt "violated".

I also have to agree with Maggie that this "violation" has had no impact on my 30 year long marraige. I think maybe young teenage bucks get turned on at the drop of a hat but most of us mature and as we age sexual arousal becomes much more complex than a glance at something we have become used to seeing.

--------

Read your link. Please don't be so naiive to think that if someone represents themselves as anything on the internet that it is automatically true. That goes for anywhere.

Last edited by grannynancy; 08-03-2010 at 10:52 AM..

Old 08-03-2010, 10:30 AM

14,874 posts, read 38,059,584 times

What about a male baby coming out of a female's vagina? Should only female babies come out of the female vagina?

Good thing my daughter is going into forensics. Modest Woman can request that my daughter be the one to do her autopsy.

Gonna be kind of sad when a coroner finds out that Modest Woman could have lived a long and happy life if she had been treated properly by a well trained doctor of any sex to treat her conditions.

Guess nursing schools should eagerly go out and try and recruit more males to go into the nursing fields a they are heavily weighted in that regards towards females.

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that going to a topless beach is out of the question..........

I'd like to know the level of education that Modest Woman has?

As for that first semester nursing student that only wants to study on female patients........ I DO NOT WANT HER AS MY NURSE!!!!! I do NOT want anyone that closed minded touching my body.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:00 AM

1,662 posts, read 1,706,863 times
It's official. Moderator cut: against the TOS . The fact that he or she is only posting on this one related topic, and is not responding to anyone's rational arguments (for the most part), just spouting off more and more of his or her inane nonsense. My only question is: is this character you're playing based on anyone you know in real life? (And I don't mean the made-up one you live on these websites where you're getting your "sources").

All in all though, it's been a rather interesting thread. Glad to see so many medical professionals come to the defense of their field.

Quote:
[SIZE=3]I am a Christian, and both my husband and I only see doctors/nurses of the same sex. We feel strongly regarding patient modesty that intimate procedures should only be performed by the same sex health care professionals. Right now I am in a dilemma though because I am also a first semester nursing student. Right now I am learning intimate procedures that are meant to be performed on both male and female patients. I have spoken to my professors asking if I can only perform these skills on female patients and so far have stared at me like I have two heads. When did it become okay for health professionals to perform intimate procedures on the opposite sex? What are some tips I could use to advocate same sex procedures?[/SIZE]

You also should check out what a doctor said at Male Gynecologist - [domain blocked due to spam]. He used to do gynecological exams, but felt they were wrong so he gave up doing them.
My guess is that most of these stories are made-up Moderator cut: against the TOS .

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-03-2010 at 02:27 PM..

Old 08-03-2010, 12:00 PM

23,417 posts, read 32,621,474 times
Quote:

Let me ask you a question. Since you think it is okay for men to be gynecologists, what do you think about men who want to become bra fitters at Belk's? Belk's will only hire females to be bra fitters. I encourage men in this discussion who don't see anything wrong with male gynecologists to call Belk's and see if they can apply to be bra fitters. They would think that men who wanted to be bra fitters are perverted. Male gynecologists are not morally above other men. If it is okay for a man to be a gynecologist, why is it not okay for a man to be a bra fitter at Belk's or another clothing store?
I think whoever said we just drove off Krazy Cliff is right, because the above analogy is truly absurd.
Anyone with half a brain in their head and a tape measure can figure out how to fit a bra.
Bra Fitting - How to Measure Bra Size
Here sweetie, bless your heart, now you dont have to be all paranoid about having a man fitting your bra.
BTW, did you know in Saudi Arabia, only MEN can fit bra at Victorias Secret, so that blows your theory right out of the water.
Women In Saudi Arabia Are Tired Of Buying Bras From Men | The Frisky
Oh, and last but not least, who would even buy a bra from Belks, ewwwwww!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness