Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:00 PM

24 posts, read 217,155 times

Advertisements

There are some people who are very modest and desire only same gender medical professionals to do certain things on them. It is hard to believe how insensitive some medical professionals can be to patients' wishes. Many people assume men are not that modest and don't care about their modesty in medical settings, but this is untotally untrue. There is a great article about male modesty at Moderator cut: too new to post links, read TOS . It is sad that some female nurses have mocked men for wanting modesty and male nurses.

Have you ever refused medical treatment or surgeries because you were concerned about your modesty and/or you could not be guaranteed an all same gender team?

This is disgusting, but some non-consensual pelvic and genital exams are done on patients under anesthesisa without their permission according to Moderator cut: too new to post links, read the TOS I think it happens more in VA and teaching hospitals. This is a huge violation of patients' rights.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-30-2010 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 04:46 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modest Woman View Post
Have you ever refused medical treatment or surgeries because you were concerned about your modesty and/or you could not be guaranteed an all same gender team?

After 3 c sections, you lose all modesty.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:56 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modest Woman View Post
<>This is disgusting, but some non-consensual pelvic and genital exams are done on patients under anesthesisa without their permission<>This is a huge violation of patients' rights.
Yeah, if that nice nurse who assisted during my colonoscopy needs my permission . . . well,she has it.
Frankly, most of us when under the knife look to medical people as work objects, not sex objects.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Most consent forms I have signed lately have all had a clause about "anything else deemed necessary" for my care. I have no problem with doctors being thorough - quite the opposite!

Old 07-30-2010, 05:19 PM

24 posts, read 217,155 times
Since I am new at this forum, I cannot post links. For those who are interested in learning more about how some men feel about modesty in medical settings, you can go to Google and type in "Male Patient Modesty". You will see information on how some men feel about modesty.

You can find some modesty violation cases by typing patient modesty violation.

I feel we trust doctors way too much. Did you know that there are some doctors such as Dr. Earl Bradley who have been accused of sexually abusing patients? According to a source from ABC News, Dr. Bradley abused over 100 patients. You can do research on Google for doctors who have committed sexual misconduct by typing sexual misconduct by doctors.

I definitely would not sign consent forms without questioning them.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:51 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
I'm afraid that a man could be molested by another gay man if this is your concern.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:13 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,853 times
I sure can't imagine people refusing their emergency coronary bypass surgeries when they can't put together an all female cardiothoracic surgery team! CPR? Defibrillation? That's a NO unless there are no male EMTs around!

I see nothing wrong with people doing pelvic exams when I'm under anesthesia, as long as it is done for educational purposes under the supervision of an attending physician. If it will make somebody a better doctor in the future, so be it. There is always a bad apple ruining the reputation of other doctors - but I guarantee you that in the cases where the doctor is molesting his patients, it *will* be in an environment where there are no nurses, residents, or medical students around to witness.

It's ALWAYS a hindrance to your OWN medical care AND to the teaching of future doctors if you get hung up on details, but fail to see the big picture of your general treatment plan. If you really care that much about modesty, please go to a private hospital. Do NOT go to a teaching hospital. Problem solved.

Truly sick people don't care about most of these things. They are too busy struggling to live. These are the people who appreciate teaching hospitals... and vice versa. In some of the rarer specialties you will be hard pressed to find a doctor of a specific gender on any given day. There might just be one doctor in that hospital for that specialty - in which case you are stuck. In those cases it has nothing to do with "lack of consideration".

Old 07-31-2010, 05:31 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
After 3 c sections, you lose all modesty.

I had 3 c-sections too and I agree with you.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:45 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
I can tell you that as an RN in a very busy ED, we do our very best to help our patients maintain their sense of modesty and propriety. Sometimes this is difficult, for example when performing CPR we have to remove clothing and have a lot of the body exposed, but obviously this is not the norm.

The sexual deviants in the health professions are in the minority.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:49 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I've worked in medicine for 12 years and have seen over 30000 patients and have worked at the VA, county hospitals, chi chi boutique hospitals, university hospitals...and never once have I heard of anyone getting a non-consensual pelvic exam. For teaching purposes, there are even wonderful women who volunteer their time and allow students to practice in a controlled environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness