U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 06:12 PM

18,434 posts, read 32,789,889 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone I have been feeling well despite things. Have gotten some things in order here.

Something that has happened as of late. I cannot eat meat. The mere thought of it disgusts me. Now, I normally eat beef, chicken, turkey. It started out a while back being pork that i was not liking, but now it is all meats, and I need to know if you know of some good sources of protein available.....not soy lol

It's like i can't put a bad thing into my body. I can't even stand to eat fried foods. Fruits, vegetables, very sm amt of carbs, if any at all. No desserts.

I had a little bit of fish yesterday, but I didn't take well to it.

HELP!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 06:21 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,676,508 times
You really need to do a search for information on vegatarian eating! It's not really as simple as just giving up meat. You need to know how to balance your protiens to get a perfect protien and lots of other stuff that would be hard to cover in just a single post!

Old 06-25-2007, 12:59 AM

I have... I think I am gonna talk to my dr... some of the searches I come up w are like...maybe you should consider eating meat....blah blah blah. I didn't know I was becoming this way, I guess it was my body's decision.

Thanks

Old 06-25-2007, 01:08 AM

14,230 posts, read 28,521,167 times
If you want non-meat protein sources there's dairy of all kinds. Cheese is good. Peanut butter/nuts are protein foods. And there's beans/lentils.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:05 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 18,475,919 times
Yellowsnow is right. Legumes are an excellent source of protein. Your body just has to get used to all that fiber once you start eating it. Otherwise, you'll be your own little gas factory.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:45 PM

7,101 posts, read 26,284,591 times
I am wondering if something is going wrong in your digestive tract...gall bladder, liver or something that is messing up your ability to digest meat. I think you are very wise to see your doctor about this.

It's not just the protein. That's easy to replace. But there are amino acids in meat that are difficult to obtain in other foods. Not impossible, but difficult.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:18 PM

453 posts, read 2,044,618 times
what about eggs?

there's also plenty of various protein powders, ranging from whey, milk protein, egg white, whole egg, etc.

also, if you totally give up meat, make sure that you are taking a multivitamin in order to get b12 and supplement with creatine, because IIRC the only natural source of it is beef.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I am wondering if something is going wrong in your digestive tract...gall bladder, liver or something that is messing up your ability to digest meat. I think you are very wise to see your doctor about this.

It's not just the protein. That's easy to replace. But there are amino acids in meat that are difficult to obtain in other foods. Not impossible, but difficult.
I've had a complete gi work up....gall bladder fine... always have to check liver function due to meds I am on. I have had Upper gi/barium swallow, Hida scan, its all fine.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
what about eggs?

there's also plenty of various protein powders, ranging from whey, milk protein, egg white, whole egg, etc.

also, if you totally give up meat, make sure that you are taking a multivitamin in order to get b12 and supplement with creatine, because IIRC the only natural source of it is beef.
haven't been able to eat eggs in a while... drank a little milk yesterday... did not work well. eeek. Dr says try soy, legumes, etc.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:08 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,676,508 times
Did you ask your doc if this could be a side effect of the meds you are on? Kinda of weird that you are losing tolerance of so many foods. If you can't eat eggs, milk, or meat, you should check out a vegan diet. It's a balancing act to get all the nutrients you need, but it can be done.
I was a vegetarian for about 5 years. I ate a lot of tofu, nuts/nut butters, bean sprouts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, beans, rice, fruits and vegies. My daily diet now still does not include a lot of meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness