U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:00 PM

15,176 posts, read 23,182,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
He was a mute zombie for a week and a half.
If my wife finds this out about me, she'd be ordering it by the 55 gallon barrel.

I'm an Excedrine Extra Strength guy... but no more than 4 in a 24 hour period or it will damage your liver... so I hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 03:20 AM

3,627 posts, read 13,139,755 times
To me, the levels of tylenol in the drug are very concerning ........ codeine and variants are fairly safe drugs.....just addictive but tylenol causes liver damange if overdosed and this is one drug subject to abuse.

I really don't get why this is such an abused drug (oxycodone and lortabs etc) ...if you do wind up taking this for more than a few days the woozy drowsy feeling tends to disappear and it just goes to the pain (I had OXY codone when I fractured my ankle and had a pin, but lortabs ocassionaly for this and that throughout my life)

-------

Is the depression better now that you have stopped taking?

Old 08-04-2010, 05:57 AM

3,627 posts, read 13,139,755 times
Oh it is not specifically the levels of tylenol in a standard dose, but the fact that people abuse it (vicodin, lortab, hydrocodone, whatever you want to call it) and take far more than the prescription dose for recreational purposes.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:35 AM

234 posts, read 310,661 times
Hey granny,

The depression hit really hard once I stopped taking, and I feel better, yet not right today. When I had forgotten to take a dose by a few hours over teh weekend, I started getting the depression too, but it went away once I took another dose. Withdrawal after only a few pills? Weird. All I know is, this has hit me like a mack truck.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:26 PM

8,288 posts, read 15,474,522 times
I started thinking about how oxycodone/oxycontin works and it got me thinking that there was no reason depression could not be a result/side-effect. So I did some research - here's just a few anecdotal episodes:
Oxycontin (Oxycodone) - Reports of Side Effects and Adverse Reactions - Hospitalization - Depression (This is Percodan)

Vicodin:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Hydrocodone/Ibuprofen:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody, black, or tarry stools; blurred vision; change in the amount of urine produced; chest pain; confusion; dark urine; depression;
Read more: http://www.drugs.com/sfx/hydrocodone...#ixzz0w9QEF8lj

Last edited by NY Annie; 08-09-2010 at 04:36 PM..

Old 08-09-2010, 07:34 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,848,758 times
Any and all opiates can cause temporary depression, or contribute to existing depression. Vicodin, like Percoset/Percodan, Demerol, Coedine, Tylenol-3, Oxycontin, is an opiate. It doesn't mean you will have the same experience with all opiates; they all have different chemical proportions mixed with various other chemicals.

Next time though, if you need painkillers, maybe ask for a non-opiate. Or, try a different opiate
ALL opiates have the potential to be addictive, and ALL of them have the potential to contribute to, or cause, depression. But they all have slightly different chemical makeup, and some might be less offensive to your system than others.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:51 PM

6,926 posts, read 5,827,567 times
Default Bad Experience with Vicodin

My first experience with Vicoden was when I has a bad infection in my leg that went from my knee to my toes. It was horrible and extremely painfulll. I took my first Vicodin about 8:00pm that evening and didn't wake up until 4:00 pm the next day. It wipped me out, but I had to keep taking them the pain was so, so bad. Next thing I learned was to eat something before I took them so I would not get nausious, it works. It's depends on the mg's your taking but before you stop taking them ask your dr. if he can lower the dosage first and eat before you take them. They do not put tylenol in them anymore because of the damage it causes to your liver. I know because I take Vicoden 750 mg's. every day for my arthritis and fibromylgia pain and that is still not strong enough. But you learn to live with the pain and go on with your life...just remember there is always someone worse off than you are!!! Oh and if a pain perscription tells you to take 2 at a time start of with 1 and see what your reaction is and if your have a bad reaction call your dr.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:58 PM

234 posts, read 310,661 times
Well, it was for sure the vicodin I think, because the severe depression spell only last a few more days, and I am now fine. Eck... not touching that powerful crap again.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:03 AM

6,613 posts, read 11,555,174 times
All I got from vicodin was hideous nausea, and even anti-nausea tabs didn't help. Switched over to liquid Percoset and even then had to take the anti-nausea meds to keep it down, and they didn't always work.

I honestly can't imagine taking either again unless I was in excruciating agony.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:03 PM

15,678 posts, read 14,161,180 times
Sometimes I get mild nausea from Vicodin...............but I would much rather deal with that than the pain.

And as for depression............wouldn't days of unrelenting pain also cause depression?

Pain meds are a GOOD thing............when they are not abused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness