U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:05 AM

15,678 posts, read 14,161,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I didn't say that anyone should have to suffer. What I said was IN MY OPINION doctors tend to offer patients medications like Vicodin when something non narcotic would work just as well.

Progress isn't always a good thing!
When you are dealing with the kind of pain that comes with cutting wisdom teeth out of bone, a couple of aspirin or tylenol won't touch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 12:29 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,596,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
When you are dealing with the kind of pain that comes with cutting wisdom teeth out of bone, a couple of aspirin or tylenol won't touch it.
Well it worked for me when I had my wisdom teeth removed. Non narcotic painkillers also worked well after 3 c-sections and 2 natural births (no epidural either) plus a few other procedures.

I suppose that some can handle it while others cannot. Such is life!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:29 AM

817 posts, read 1,997,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
If you flush them before you have your surgery, then end up with horrible pain...........I seriously doubt the Dr. will give you more.

Save them, you might need them...........and remember this..........thousands upon thousands of people take them every day with no bad side effects.

And even if you do have a side effect, few of them are worse than the pain you may have.
Annie - I will save them, just in case. I usually have very little pain after extractions, but I recently had an infection in the bone and 4 Advil didn't even touch that pain. I was so exhausted and in such agony that, in the middle of the night, I took 8 of them. I would never normally do that! I've had surgeries and broken bones and bad cuts and multiple abscessed teeth and Advil was always enough, but that infection was by far the worst pain I've ever had.

pamela - some people's wisdom teeth come out easier than others and some dentists do more damage pulling them than others. It's not the same for everybody.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:17 AM

3,873 posts, read 4,128,853 times
My 2 cents about Vicodin is that I have never taken any drug that seemed as potentially addictive! After 45 minutes, just as the effects were beginning to fade, my brain/body was saying: I'm sad cuz it's fading, I want another.

As for the depression, I usually get depressed a couple hours after my last drink. I like to drink (with limits) but like to go straight from the bottle to the bed... I don't want to be awake as the buzz fades. Of course we all know alcohol is considered a depressant. I just think there is a parallel.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Annie - I will save them, just in case. I usually have very little pain after extractions, but I recently had an infection in the bone and 4 Advil didn't even touch that pain. I was so exhausted and in such agony that, in the middle of the night, I took 8 of them. I would never normally do that! I've had surgeries and broken bones and bad cuts and multiple abscessed teeth and Advil was always enough, but that infection was by far the worst pain I've ever had.

pamela - some people's wisdom teeth come out easier than others and some dentists do more damage pulling them than others. It's not the same for everybody.
I realize that pain is different for everyone Be Free, some do need a stronger painkiller. The point I am trying to make is that many doctors give patients narcotic painkillers for things that are relatively minor.

Strong non-narcotic painkillers do exist and I feel these should be tried first and if more relief is needed THEN hit the heavy stuff.

As I stated before, when my daughter had her tonsils removed, she was given Morphine. A bit much,wouldn't you agree?

I'm a former EMT plus I worked for a doctor for a number of years so i'm not lacking a knowledge base here. I know from whence I speak.

Just read the problems a few posters on this thread had with Vicodin. I don't ever remember Tylenol or Anvil doing that.

And with that, I rest my case!

Old 09-01-2010, 05:53 PM

817 posts, read 1,997,013 times
Yeah, Tylenol and Advil have their own problems though. Still, I'm grateful that we've reached the point where I don't have to have surgery after a couple slugs of whiskey.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Yeah, Tylenol and Advil have their own problems though. Still, I'm grateful that we've reached the point where I don't have to have surgery after a couple slugs of whiskey.
I agree!

Old 09-02-2010, 09:39 AM

1,423 posts, read 4,781,127 times
I admit to not having read all 4 pages of this thread.

Yes, this happened to a friend of mine - she had a very bad response to taking Vicodin, it "weirded her out" in a bad way to the extent it was traumatic.

That said, everyone's got varying pain thresholds, but seems like 3-4 vicodin/day for that many days is too much and too long for wisdom teeth extraction. (And yes, I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed all at the same time.) Hopefully you have stopped taking it.

But there is at least one other person who had a bad reaction as you describe.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:23 AM

8,415 posts, read 36,083,679 times
In defense of dentists, there can be nerve damage from having your teeth removed but you won't know that until you are home and its a couple hours later and the injections are wearing off. That would be so terrible if all you had was advil on hand.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:42 AM

1,423 posts, read 4,781,127 times
Yeah, and my ex got "dry socket" and he was in excruciating pain (which meant I had to endure his suffering as well ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness