Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:45 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
Yeah, and my ex got "dry socket" and he was in excruciating pain (which meant I had to endure his suffering as well ).
Endure or enjoy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 09:38 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
When I has some minor surgery recently my Dr asked me if what my experience was with narcotics and I told her I DID NOT like Vicodin so she gave me a couple Percocet instead. That was a good drug

Old 09-02-2010, 09:55 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
When I has some minor surgery recently my Dr asked me if what my experience was with narcotics and I told her I DID NOT like Vicodin so she gave me a couple Percocet instead. That was a good drug
Good point Ceece.............there are several different types of pain meds available if you have problems with Vicoden. Glad you pointed that out!

I have gotten pain meds for several surgeries {foot, back} and dental work..........I never use them all up.........I always save a few.........never know when I might put my back out or do something stupid........just nice to know they are there if I need one.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:33 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,454 times
Well, I didn't take any of my Vicodin, so I still don't know how it affects me. Guess I'll stash them in case the SHTF and I need pain killers. The pain wasn't so bad that a couple of Advil couldn't handle it the first day. I wasn't going to take any at all yesterday (day 2), but I got a fever in the afternoon and had to take some because of that. My body is super sensitive to drugs, so I'm always afraid to try a new one. I even threw up the sedation pills they gave me half way through the surgery and, unfortunately, felt the second bunch of numbing shots they gave me. I was still kind of doped up from the earlier pills and the gas, so didn't care too much except with the palette shots. Those woke me right up!

I used ice packs all day yesterday but look like a chipmonk today anyway. Glad that's over with! I hope I expire before I ever need that much dental work done again.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:35 PM

Glad everything worked out OK, Be Free. If you ever do need to use one of those Vicodens, you can try breaking one in half..........and be sure to eat something with it, a cookie or a slice of bread.

I wouldn't want to go through the wisdom teeth ordeal ever again either..........good thing they don't grow back!

Old 09-06-2010, 07:30 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Vicodin and percodan are cousins - both are synthetic codeine however, vicodin being oxycodone WITH acetaminophen and percodan being oxycodone and aspirin. It is possible to have an allergic reaction to one and not the other.

With vicodin, I experience hyperness, agitation, the feeling of bugs beneath my skin, and an inability to sleep. Just the opposite of its expected and intended effects. It is called a drug allergy and it is important to let your doctor know that you are having/have had this reactions. Do NOT ever take vicodin again.
as a veteran of 3 knee surgeries and 4 hip surgeries.... i have a bit of experience with these things.... vicodin is hydrocodone with acetomeniphan (sp?) .... aka tylenol ..... percocet is oxycodone with acetomeniphan (sp??) varying levels of the hydro or oxycodone in combination with varying levels of the acetominiphan.... percodan is oxycodone combined with aspirin.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedelivers View Post
My first experience with Vicoden was when I has a bad infection in my leg that went from my knee to my toes. It was horrible and extremely painfulll. I took my first Vicodin about 8:00pm that evening and didn't wake up until 4:00 pm the next day. It wipped me out, but I had to keep taking them the pain was so, so bad. Next thing I learned was to eat something before I took them so I would not get nausious, it works. It's depends on the mg's your taking but before you stop taking them ask your dr. if he can lower the dosage first and eat before you take them. They do not put tylenol in them anymore because of the damage it causes to your liver. I know because I take Vicoden 750 mg's. every day for my arthritis and fibromylgia pain and that is still not strong enough. But you learn to live with the pain and go on with your life...just remember there is always someone worse off than you are!!! Oh and if a pain perscription tells you to take 2 at a time start of with 1 and see what your reaction is and if your have a bad reaction call your dr.
yes .... there is still tylenol ..... you are taking 7.5 mg hydrocodone with 750 mg of tylenol......

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
The better question is... why are you taking Vicodin (and so much of it) in the first place? It's just wisdom teeth, man up, take an ibuprofin and call it a day.

Had my wisdom teeth out a few years ago, just Novocaine to numb me up a bit for the actual surgery, no gas. Two were impacted, one was rotten (it hadn't completely pushed through the gum, so food accumulated under the flap) and had to be taken out in pieces, 2 stitches if I remember correctly. Packed with gauze to change every couple hours, swish with salt water and Advil to keep down any swelling. The next day I was eating regular solid food (club sandwich) over at Friendly's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Well it worked for me when I had my wisdom teeth removed. Non narcotic painkillers also worked well after 3 c-sections and 2 natural births (no epidural either) plus a few other procedures.

I suppose that some can handle it while others cannot. Such is life!
yep.... good for both of you for being so stoic and tough......

not everyone can tolerate ibuprofen or naproxen..... me personally.... they TEAR up my stomach.... even when taken with food AND milk.....

the suggestion to take a half vicodin at a time is a good one..... if the half doesn't work in an hour or 2 .... the other half is still available.......

Old 09-07-2010, 07:44 AM

455 posts, read 1,499,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I have gotten pain meds for several surgeries {foot, back} and dental work..........I never use them all up.........I always save a few.........never know when I might put my back out or do something stupid........just nice to know they are there if I need one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Well, I didn't take any of my Vicodin, so I still don't know how it affects me. Guess I'll stash them in case the SHTF and I need pain killers.
Typically it's time to go visit your doctor is when your basic OTC pain killers can't bring your pain to a tolerable level. So while you think that saving some extra prescription pain killers for a rainy day seems like a good idea, you're actually putting yourself at a fair bit more risk. How are you to know that the pain you're feeling isn't something more serious that you end up masking until the situation turns from something that might have been easily manageable by a doctor to something that requires an emergency room visit.

Think of it this way... those bad menstrual cramps could really be an ectopic pregnancy; that bad gas could be appendicitis or twisted intestine; that pulled back muscle could be a herniated disc. There is a reason that high strength pain killers are only available by prescription, and it's not only the narcotic/recreational factor.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:39 PM

I do not agree. Most of us know our bodies pretty well. I have had surgery on my back and foot and I have a bad shoulder. If I overdo it, which is sometimes necessary...........I do not need to wait days and endure sleepless nights waiting for a Drs. appointment and spend $$$ to get relief........way too late.

I used to have horrible mentrual cramps, I knew they were cramps, I knew I was not pregnant, if I couldn't lay down with a heating pad because I had to go to work.........half of a pain med was called for...........not a Drs. vistit, a missed day of work and $$$.

Sinus problems are VERY common where I live, so are sinus headaches. Maybe twice a year I get a sinus headache that will just not quit until I break down and take a pain med. Again, waiting days and spending $$$ to get relief is not called for and way too late.

My sister-in-law severely cut her hand. She went to the emergency room, they took a quick look and gave her another clean wash cloth to hold over her wound, the one she brought with her was soaked. She proceded to wait and wait and wait, after two hours she sent her husband to another hospital nearby to check the waitiing time there.........he came back and got her and they went to the other hospital. Luckily for her, she had a pain med to take in the mean time. Would she have died from the pain while she waited.........NO...........but why suffer unnecassarily.......for hours and hours on end?

Get a terrible toothache on a holiday weekend........good luck getting in to see a dentist............lucky if you have a couple of pain meds to tie you over.

Most of the people I know have a little stash of pain meds tucked away for small emergencies. Not everyone has the luxury of cadillac health insurance or the money available to go running to the emergency room or a Dr. every time they could use a pain pill.

The only reason pain meds are so strictly regulated and hard to get is because of the people that abuse them...........it is a shame the rest of us that use them responsibly have to suffer needlessly because of it.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:28 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
Typically it's time to go visit your doctor is when your basic OTC pain killers can't bring your pain to a tolerable level. So while you think that saving some extra prescription pain killers for a rainy day seems like a good idea, you're actually putting yourself at a fair bit more risk. How are you to know that the pain you're feeling isn't something more serious that you end up masking until the situation turns from something that might have been easily manageable by a doctor to something that requires an emergency room visit.

Think of it this way... those bad menstrual cramps could really be an ectopic pregnancy; that bad gas could be appendicitis or twisted intestine; that pulled back muscle could be a herniated disc. There is a reason that high strength pain killers are only available by prescription, and it's not only the narcotic/recreational factor.
It's not easy being the voice of reason and logic when so few choose to listen.

You made a valid point. Sad to say though, a few posters on this thread will continue to dip into the little supply of pain meds they've stashed away for emergencies. I hope that none of them do what my late SIL did. After tripping and hitting her head,she took two Vicodin for the pain and went to bed. She died December 26th,2009. She didn't just hurt herself,she left behind 5 children.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:38 PM

Sorry for your loss.

The Vicodin did not kill your SIL. She could have just as easily decided to take a couple Tylenol and lie down............with the same results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness