Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:56 PM

235 posts, read 355,986 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I had my wisdom teeth out on Friday and I had been taking 3-4 pills of vicodin until yesterday afternoon. Last evening and today I have felt very bad.. I've felt very depressed and hopeless and have had terrible, splitting headaches. Has anyone ever had this type of experience with vicodin?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 05:59 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
have you considered ...... calling the doctor who wrote the prescription? (please do, asap).

Old 08-03-2010, 06:06 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
The headache yes - which is strange since tylenol HELPS my headaches; it also constipates me. Wonderful side effects that limits its utility for me.

The depression, no - check with the doctor or at least the pharmacist.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:10 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
Call the physician who prescribed them...but I would suspect you wouldn't need the vicodin for much longer. Might be time to switch to an OTC pain killer, at least during the day. If your pain is still rather severe, perhaps you can get a different prescription medication.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:16 PM

65 posts, read 218,557 times
vicodin will give you headaches.i get them regularly from it.the vicodin will also cause constipation too.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:26 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,913 times
Yeah, I can't handle vicodin either. Didn't give me headaches, but back in 95' when I had knee surgery to repair torn cartilage, the doctor prescribed it for pain. He told me to find a good spot, get comfortable, take two pills, and prepare to zonk out for 10-12 hours......

Well, what actually happened was profuse sweating, rapid heartbeat, vivid auditory hallucinations, and a sense that my brain had "split" into two entities. One entity was experiencing all of the effects I mentioned and the other was observing and taking notes.

Scared the hell out of me..... The next morning I called the doc and explained what happened. I asked if I could just take Tylenol. He said OK, and I never touched Vicodin again.

Bad, bad stuff!

Old 08-03-2010, 06:36 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Vicodin and percodan are cousins - both are synthetic codeine however, vicodin being oxycodone WITH acetaminophen and percodan being oxycodone and aspirin. It is possible to have an allergic reaction to one and not the other.

With vicodin, I experience hyperness, agitation, the feeling of bugs beneath my skin, and an inability to sleep. Just the opposite of its expected and intended effects. It is called a drug allergy and it is important to let your doctor know that you are having/have had this reactions. Do NOT ever take vicodin again.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:20 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Vicodin and percodan are cousins - both are synthetic codeine however, vicodin being oxycodone WITH acetaminophen and percodan being oxycodone and aspirin. It is possible to have an allergic reaction to one and not the other.

With vicodin, I experience hyperness, agitation, the feeling of bugs beneath my skin, and an inability to sleep. Just the opposite of its expected and intended effects. It is called a drug allergy and it is important to let your doctor know that you are having/have had this reactions. Do NOT ever take vicodin again.
You are correct about Vicodin and Percodan being related, however, what you experienced are side effects not an allergy. I agree with you that this person may not want to take this drug again. I had head ache and terrible nausea anytime I take anything similar to Vicodin .

Old 08-03-2010, 07:23 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times
My boyfriend had surgery three weeks ago and was prescribed Vicodin. He was a mute zombie for a week and a half. Didn't complain of your symptoms, OP, but he definitely was not himself.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:46 PM

235 posts, read 355,986 times
I called the doctor and they said they never heard anything like the depression side effects. I'm not convinced. This is totally unlike me and has been fairly extreme. I hope I feel better tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness