Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 03:26 PM

408 posts, read 809,066 times

Advertisements

I just hate going to the dr. I never liked taking antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. I prefer natural herbs/supplements to anything else. I will try and get out of work for it tomorrow, otherwise I can probably take work off Friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 03:54 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,338,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcody View Post
I just hate going to the dr. I never liked taking antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. I prefer natural herbs/supplements to anything else. I will try and get out of work for it tomorrow, otherwise I can probably take work off Friday.
See a healthcare provider ASAP - it's apparent that "... natural herbs/supplements..." aren't working and you just might need antibiotics. Also, not all symptoms of frequency and pain with urination indicate a urinary tract infection, but unless you get it checked either tomorrow () or Friday, you'll not know and can't be adequately treated.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:15 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,249,782 times
You should try to figure out what is causing the infection. I like herbal too but I ALWAYS go to the doctor first to know what I am dealing with. I do think that UTI's should be dealt with by antibiotics. You can damage your kidneys and not even know it until later on down the line. It could be an STD or yeast problem too and you won't know it unless you get it cultured.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:18 PM

408 posts, read 809,066 times
I will be going to the Dr. tomorrow, there's a walk-in clinic which is nice since you'd probably have to wait at least 3 or 4 hrs. to get an appt. in the city I live in. I doubt it's an STD--I've been with the same guy for 5 yrs. now. I would hope not!

Old 08-05-2010, 01:43 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,836,588 times
I'd definitely stay away from juices, cranberry as another poster said is way to acidic. You need to FLUSH your system - so LOTS of water and JUST water, nothing in it.

When I had this in Australia there was an OTC powder I got to mix with water, but haven't had any issues with UTI since I've been here so can't help with US brand names.

Absolutely a good idea to see a doctor when it's more than JUST an inconvenience. Maybe after this time, check with your local pharmacy to see if there is any OTC type stuff for MILD cases, it will stop it before it gets any worse.

I totally sympathise, the itching and burning (apart from the other symptoms) are the WORST.

btw UTI doesn't necessarily have to be an STD to be caused by sexual friction.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:34 PM

17,348 posts, read 16,480,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcody View Post
I will be going to the Dr. tomorrow, there's a walk-in clinic which is nice since you'd probably have to wait at least 3 or 4 hrs. to get an appt. in the city I live in. I doubt it's an STD--I've been with the same guy for 5 yrs. now. I would hope not!
It's good that you're going to a doctor - the sooner the better. UTI's are the pits but luckily it takes 5 minutes to diagnose a UTI (all you have to do is pee in a jar) and you'll be out the door with a prescription in your hand before you know it.

I have found that cranberry capsules, drinking lots of water and eating greek yogurt help to flush away an *early* UTI. But I don't think that would do much for a persistent UTI that has gone on for days. You definitely want to get the antibiotics ASAP.

Hope you feel better soon.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:50 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
As others have noted, cranberries are not going to do a whole lot for an established bladder infection. For most women, a short (3 day) course of an antibiotic will clear up symptoms quickly.

It is important, however to have the correct diagnosis, and there are other conditions that can cause painful frequent urination. So, ideally, it is a good idea to get a urinalysis. If the episodes are frequent, a culture should be done. And if a woman has 3 or more episodes in 12 months, tests should be done to see if there is some underlying problem predisposing to the infections. If you fix the underlying problem, you reduce the frequency of the bladder infections.

Don't just pee in a cup!
It is necessary to do a "clean catch" to prevent vaginal and skin bacteria from contaminating the specimen and making it look infected when it really isn't. See here: http://www.hosp.uky.edu/Clinlab/Clea...ch%20urine.pdf .If it is necessary to collect a specimen during your menstrual period, put in a clean tampon first. If the vaginal bleeding is heavy and will not be contained by a tampon, it might be best to actually use a small catheter to get a sample.

Even if the urine specimen is for a routine test, always do the clean catch.It can prevent additional unnecessary testing.

The majority of bladder infections in young women are related to intercourse. It helps to empty the bladder right before and right after having sex. Use extra lube if needed. If you have frequent UTIs and no other problem is found, one dose of an antibiotic right before intercourse can really reduce the number of episodes.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:53 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,548,608 times
The best role for cranberry to play is as a preventive. If you are not averse to splenda they do make sugar free varieties or simply the pills. They help prevent the adhesion of gram negative bacteria to the bladder wall.

Totally agree about voiding after sex; it really helps. And of course cotton underwear.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:43 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,146 times
I know I'm kind of rehashing a post that's almost a month old, but I thought I'd chime in.

I, too, get UTIs every so often as I apparently have some sort of predisposition anatomically for it (I guess I have a very short urethra according to doctors).

You CAN fend them off yourself, but only if you're a) very, very healthy normally and b) have a few days of your life to lose. You have to drink a TON (I mean a TON) of water, take as much Vitamin C as your body can handle, and 5-6 max strength cranberry pills a day. Then, you have to REST. Stay in bed, do as little as possible (except pee), and drink water like mad. You also have to buy the test strips yourself and continually test yourself to make sure the leukocytes are going away.

Truthfully, if you have insurance and the ability to go to the doctor, it's probably easier to just do that.

And, if you have blood in your urine, you HAVE to go to the doctor; this will only work if you catch it super early (like, when you're just getting the 'always having to go' feeling). You also have to go if you have a fever, dizziness, nausea, or chills.

This only works for MILD UTIs that are caught early--but it does work.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:52 PM

10,970 posts, read 6,849,128 times
Years ago I saw a naturopath for this problem which had lasted months, was stubborn and nasty. I tried EVERYTHING, nothing worked.

Herbal Tea 8 oz. 3-4 times a day

Parsley Leaves
Juniper Berries
Uva Ursi Leaves

1 tsp. of each in 8 oz. of water. Steep 5-10 mins. Get them from a reputable health food or herb store.

Nothing else kicked it until this blend. Don't stop when symptoms get better. Very important. Keep up the regimen for at least a week. Any questions, DM me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness