U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 11:20 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,535,562 times

Advertisements

It depends on the bacteria that is causing the problem.

With E. Coli, D-mannose does the trick very, VERY well. With things like Klebsiella, probably not.

I would try D-mannose for a couple of days (1 tsp / cup, every few hours), + fresh cranberry juice (the one without sugar from trader joe's), + cranberry pills.

If this doesn't work, or if you develop a fever, I would go to the doctor's and get a urine culture done. They will give you bactrim or cipro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 11:49 PM

11,697 posts, read 10,857,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
It depends on the bacteria that is causing the problem.

With E. Coli, D-mannose does the trick very, VERY well. With things like Klebsiella, probably not.

I would try D-mannose for a couple of days (1 tsp / cup, every few hours), + fresh cranberry juice (the one without sugar from trader joe's), + cranberry pills.

If this doesn't work, or if you develop a fever, I would go to the doctor's and get a urine culture done. They will give you bactrim or cipro.

This is excellent advice. D-mannose and cranberry are the way to go. Stay away from sugar, too. Sugar in any form is bad for the kidneys, liver, pancreas and all parts of the body, including the skin. But as the post above states, you may need an antibiotic if it is a severe infection. After you've killed the infection, use D-mannose and cranberry as maintenance.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:22 PM

86 posts, read 382,083 times
You probably have a persistent UTI. When a person has an UTI episode they are usually on antibiotics for 3-5 days. But if you have a persistent UTI (several episodes in a year) then you need to be treated for over a week.

You should go see a doctor because maybe your UTIs (presently or in the past) are causing structural changes within your urethra or bladder without you even knowing it therefore you might have cystitis or pyritis.

AZO is used for urinary pain and you shouldnt be on it for more than 2 days. You can try a home-kit by peeing on a stick to see if you have Urea (to see if you have a UTI). Also cranberry juice doesnt treat your UTI, its only used to prevent UTI. No home remedy or supplement is going to cure your UTI, so go see your doctor so that you can get antibiotics. Tell your dr. that you are having several episodes of UTI within the year.

Also based on how sexually active you are, this may also effect how long you might be treated for. If you are sexually active and you have a lot of UTIs, then sometimes a doctor may prescribe antibiotics that you would take after you have sex in order to prevent you from getting an UTI..

I know you want to fix this on your own at home, with natural supplements or a diet change. But when you have a UTI you mostly likely need antibiotics.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:28 AM

2,732 posts, read 3,190,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcody View Post
I will be going to the Dr. tomorrow, there's a walk-in clinic which is nice since you'd probably have to wait at least 3 or 4 hrs. to get an appt. in the city I live in. I doubt it's an STD--I've been with the same guy for 5 yrs. now. I would hope not!
Yea, it could be herpes. And it does not matter if you been with the same man for 5 years. People cheat, and others don't know they carry any STD's because they are asymptomatic.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:46 AM

3,487 posts, read 6,535,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeerioS View Post
You should go see a doctor because maybe your UTIs (presently or in the past) are causing structural changes within your urethra or bladder without you even knowing it therefore you might have cystitis or pyritis.

Also cranberry juice doesnt treat your UTI, its only used to prevent UTI. No home remedy or supplement is going to cure your UTI, so go see your doctor so that you can get antibiotics. Tell your dr. that you are having several episodes of UTI within the year.
It is true, at some point if UTIs persist without reason (i.e. cannot be explained by being female, post sex) you need to see a doctor. Males with UTIs and hematuria all need to get worked up for structural problems.

I still stand by D-Mannose (more than the cranberry, but it has to be pure cranberry without sugar), and I would throw in Kefir into the mix too as an adjunct. If you take D-mannose for long enough for simple E, coli cystitis it flushes out all the bacteria and there is no further need for antibiotics. The science behind this is as solid as that for antimicrobials. I've successfully treated many simple UTIs this way, even when I had gross hematuria. However, I never developed fevers just dysuria. I have 3 days of backup antibiotics (Bactrim, the first drug most people should start with) at home just in case it doesn't work, but so far it's worked every time.

I prefer not to use antibiotics because I get UTIs so frequently that at some point I am going to become colonized by resistant bacteria. Then I would have to switch to Ciprofloxacin. At some point I might run out of antibiotic choices. Also I tend to swing the other way and get yeast infections if I take antibiotics.

Bottom line: If feverish, get antibiotics. If not, D-mannose is an option for extending the antibiotic options for future use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness