U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 02:04 PM

258 posts, read 909,593 times

Advertisements

I have eczema that wont go away, although I'm using a steroid cream, it doesnt seem to have cleared it up yet and I have developed a folliculitis infection because of this, which I was prescribed minocycline and I tried that for 7 weeks, which it cleared it up but right when I stopped taking it, I developed more folliculitis. I'm on duricef now for 4-8 more weeks to try to clear up my folliculitis infection. I certaintly hope that once this is cleared up that I do not keep developing these infections. What can I do to prevent this and to make my eczema go away or at least stay in remission?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 08:13 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,207,199 times
Eczema is a lifelong skin condition that often never "goes away" so it must be managed with creams forever. I have eczema and that the best results my doctor can offer.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:08 AM

31,500 posts, read 34,768,008 times
51 years of eczema here. The worst of it, the stuff I had as an infant and child, went away with allergy shots for some majory allergies. I now manage the rest with cortisone and/or steroid creams. I use them sparingly since having this for a lifetime has desensitized me to it and it rarely itches or causes me to be uncomfortable. Mostly I use the creams to eliminate spots of rash that are easily visible to others, just so they don't feel bad for me. LOL. I'm never had an infection from it but like I said, it doesn't itch much and I don't scratch much.

I've had a few episodes in my adult life where it appeard in unusual places and caused some problems for me (the worst was on my eyelids and lips...I got blisters) but fortunately those episodes were few and far between. I don't know what caused the flareups.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:20 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 1,974,364 times
Just a thought/suggestion.. i'm lucky not to have a severe case of it but I usually hit a tanning bed which helps clear it up tremendously.. I've heard cases where it doesn't help and others that it does.. - 1x a week or 1x a month.. nothing to severe because of the negative effects associated with tanning. It ws suggested to me to use the 11k + beds for 5-8 minutes. Apply a tanning solution before - then lotion/oil after you shower. - Worth a shot, but do beware the negative affects of using a tanning bed for extended periods of time..

My dermatoligist highly recommends using mineral oil - before you dry off when taking a shower.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:14 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,970,005 times
A naturopath could probably help with your ecxema problem, but it would more than likely require a life-style change in diet, meaning no sugar, coffee, chocolate .. you know, .. all the good stuff.

Whether you would wish to follow the diet gven or not is the big thing.

Carrot juice is really good for the skin. Important also, ingestion of beneficial oils such as fish oil, ultra-primrose oil, extra virgin olive oil, borage, flax, etc, as well as lubricating the skin.

Plain old pure coconut oil is good not only for frying, but rubbing ito your skin. Apricot kernal oil is another good one. A little oily, but if you rub a little lotion over top it helps to absorb better.

Oil of oregano is a strong fungal and bacterial fighter, which you can rub into the skin as well as ingest. Similar to tea tree oil's benefits, but doesn't dry and crack the skin, being in an olive oil base, and can be taken internally as well.

Last edited by stone-ground; 08-06-2010 at 09:23 AM..

Old 02-12-2013, 05:38 AM

1 posts, read 9,845 times
[mod] need at least 10 other posts to make specific recommendations[/mod], Had severe eczema all over my body for 4 years. My legs however were clear until 2 years ago when i began using a very thick eczema cream called hydromol ointment (absolutely brilliant stuff when your skin is very infected and dry and scaly and sore but not for every day use) i used it on my legs but didnt follow the hair growth. I have come to the conflusion that The eczema on my leg in particular was just folliculitis. The doctors never informed me of it. In the last week ive had 2 baths with dettol skin liquid and put it undiluted on the bad spots of infection. The eczema on my arms and face has completely cleared despite it snowing and the cold weather usually messing my skin up. I have a tomato intolerance and i was able to eat spaghetti bolognaise without any skin problems it was amazing. Its worth a try isnt it. i know everybodys skin is different. i will post back in a month to tell you whether it is just a quick fix or a long term solution. Also if you itch at night ask your doctor to put you on Hydroxizine it is a great antihistamine that stops you itching almost immediately but can make you slightly drowzy the first week you use it (the morning after) but goes with time.

Jodi

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-12-2013 at 07:38 AM..

Old 10-22-2014, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 6,398 times
Default Eczema

I can only find vendors for Hydromol in UK and they don't shop to the states. Does anyone know how or where I can purchase this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness