U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 02:28 PM

605 posts, read 1,992,849 times

Advertisements

As an adult acne sufferer, I'm starting to research options for acne cysts and nodules that leave scars. (This are the deep, large blemishes that do not respond to salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, or sulfur.) I'm starting to do my research on dermatologists and various treatments.

It looks like the most commonly used treatment that is covered by insurance is Accutane. However, I'm rather concerned by the side effects. Almost as concerning as the side effects is burdensome the iPLEDGE process, though I can understand the reasons it was put in place. I'm curious if anyone who has been on it can share their experiences. For how long did you have to stay on? For how long did you stay acne free? What was your monthly time commitment for picking up the prescription, blood work, and pregnancy tests?

Also, has anyone here used laser treatments for severe acne? What was your experience with that?

Quick note: I'm not looking for OTC remedies, diet advice, etc. I'm well past adolescence and have tried literally every active ingredient available OTC. I've also tweaked with my diet and fluid intake about all that I care to. I understand that most folks mean well by providing such advice, but that's not what I'm looking for right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 03:26 PM

5,334 posts, read 11,505,109 times
My daughter was on Accutane last year, it worked like a charm for her.

She was on the medication for 5 months. She has now been off the medication for about 6 months and is still acne free...

She had terrible acne for almost 2 years before that and the dermatologist had tried everything before we agreed to the accutane. She had been on multiple antibiotics, had tried every cleanse, rinse and topical product known.

Nothing worked and her acne just seemed to get worse.

She had the typical side effects of very dry skin and severely chapped lips which pretty much everyone gets. Other than that, no problem and no evidence of recurrence. She had one dermatologist visit per month while on the medication about 60 mins to see the doc, get her bloodwork and a new prescription.

There are risks, but they are overblown in my opinion. Have a long talk with your dermatologist, if they have been in practice for awhile and still use Accutane there is a good reason why they (dermatologists) still use this medication. It works and side effects are no where near as common as the press and lawyers will make you believe.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:18 PM

234 posts, read 310,895 times
Absolutely a giant NO from me. I was a healthy happy college student when I started my 5 month treck on that stuff, and it turned me into a mess. Anxiety, depression, paranoia, joint paint, hallucinations... it's nasty stuff. With that said, some handle it better than others... it's just whether or not you are willing to put your mental/physical health at risk.

Now I realize you were just wondering about the accutane, but one acne fighting method (rids of scars too!) involves baking soda, apple cider vinegar, and egg whites.

Make a baking soda + small water mixture goop thing, rub it on your face and let it sit a minute or two.

Rub off.

Apple apple cider vinegar to your face via cotten balls and let that sit for 10 mins.

Wash off.

Apply an egg white mixture to your face via rubbing it all over skin. Let it sit for 10 min. (It will dry and feel gross). Wash off.

This has been miraculous for some people when nothing else worked. It worked great for my face after accutane left scars all over it.

Best of luck.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:34 AM

14,874 posts, read 38,084,164 times
My teen daughter did Accutane last fall/winter and had no issues w/ her mental state while taking it. She did have the dry lips and hands and the doctor gave her a good cream for her hands and she started using a good moistirizing lip balm that helped and she never had an issue w/ cracked bleeding lips or skin.

As far as the iPledge, that was not that big of a deal. In a 7 day period you have to get your bloodwork done, see your doctor, turn in your prescription, answer your questions online and pick up your prescription. She was able to do it with no problems as a full time student.

As for the risks......... every medication has risks. Some people are just more prone to certain side effects than others. If you are healthy and have been thoroughly checked out by your doctor and you stay on top of your health then you most likely will not have any issues w/ most medications. This is coming from someone that is allergic to certain antibiotics, has been rushed to the er because of it, has been on antibiotics that caused horrible side effects as those are some of the only ones I can take and not have an allergic reaction to. It all boils down to if you are willing to sacrifice for the short time period you would be on the med vs the longhaul of not doing anything about it and THAT bringing you down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness