Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 03:56 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times

Advertisements

I currently take Ambien CR but insurance wants me to take Ambien--the generic form. Its much cheaper, I was paying $147 for a 3 mo supply of Ambien cr, a 3 month supply of the generic is $50. Obviously, I don't take it every night, so it last more than 3 months.

But I've noticed the generic doesn't work as well. Unlike the CR, which has two layers, one to get you to sleep, the other to keep you asleep. My main problem isn't falling asleep, it waking up in the middle of the night. With the CR I slept through the night, I don't with the generic.

Well, when I can't sleep I count the money I'm saving and eventually get back to sleep? But seriously, has anyone else experienced both drugs and noticed a difference? I think I should be able to get my insurance to allow me the ambien at generic prices if I can get my doctor to write a letter to the effect that the generic is not effective, I did that with another drug, naprosyn. I don't care what they say, its not the same drug. I was fine on naprosyn, then started feeling awful. Only then did I realize I'd been switched to naproxyn, which is the generic, so it wasn't a psychological effect, I didnt even know I'd been switched until I noticed the lack of effectiveness.

My doctor wrote a letter that naprosyn was to be brand name only, due to past reactions to the generic, it worked. Might as well give it a try with ambien.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 06:48 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
It isn't that ambien generic isn't "as effective" as CR; it's that they serve different functions. Definitely have your doctor specify the CR. I take the generic because I have the opposite problem: once I'm asleep, I'm good to go. But getting to sleep is the hard part. Ambien solves the problem perfectly for me and so does its generic.

The medicine in both is identical: zolpidem nitrate. The only difference is the layering, which serves to act as a time release.

Your insurance should already know that there is no generic or substitute for CR. If they don't know that, then you should talk with your pharmacist and have him "splain" it to the insurance company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness