Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 09:24 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,012,957 times

Advertisements

and what are your symptoms? Yes I googled, but I wanted to know what it was like from people who actually deal with it vs reading the medical defintion of it.

A month ago I had the flu and a tooth hurt, even when I opened my mouth the jaw seemed to ache. I went to a dentist and he just a panorama xray and saw nothing.. said maybe I might need a root canal because it was a deep caveity there. He gave antibiotics and said call if the pain didnt leave. Well it did go away.

Now the pain moved to the left side and I couldnt open my jaw, then the pain moved to the right side, no longer on the left side. Yesterday the pain in my gums was on my bottom teeth. Today I am fine. What could this be?

My bother is a dentist, but I have moved and can't see him, I would call but he is funny about stuff like this.

If I have no cavieties could it be I need a root canal or would it be TMJ? I don't get how the pain travels through all my teeth at sepeate times and my jaw will hurt where the pain shoot in the back of my head and neck, giving me kind of a stiff neck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 09:37 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
What you're describing sounds more like some kind of inflammation than TMJ Syndrome. As an FYI, everyone has TMJ. TMJ stands for temoporomandibular joint. It's a joint in the jaw. Everyone has one. A common name for chronic trouble with the TMJ, is TMJ Syndrome.

Typical symptoms of TMJ Syndrome would be when you try to open your jaw (as though to yawn) and it gets "stuck" in a position and you have to close your mouth and try again to get it past that "stuck" position. Another symptom is migraine headaches. Another is a clicking sound when you open and close your mouth, that indicates that same "stuck" problem, but not to the same extent. There are also a variety of discomforts that can indicate TMJ Syndrome.

You say your dentist has already told you that you have a deep cavity and might need a root canal. I'm not sure why he says you -might- need a root canal, and why he didn't know for sure whether or not you need one. Unless he referred you to an endo and you just haven't gone yet.

Considering that one of the potential results of -not- getting a gum/mouth infection properly treated is death, I'd recommend finding out for sure what, exactly, is going on, and getting it treated properly.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:47 AM

I thought it was odd that he couldnt tell for sure if I needed a root canal or not. But he gabe me anti biotics and the pain went away. At the time I had the flu and thats when my blood pressure spiked so he didn't want to do anything at the time. he did recommend I see an endo to make sure. I just cant do another root canal, my last one was seriously tramatic for me. I am a bit sick of hearing people's stories where it was a piece of cake... well that's their exprience, not mine and I am not fearful of dentists or needles. I just had a horrific experice last time and wish not to go through it again.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:54 AM

So, you'd rather risk a brain infection and death, to a root canal?
If you had a bad experience with your last root canal, get a different doctor. Or have them yank the tooth and live without the tooth. Or have them yank it out and put in an implant, or a bridge. No matter what you do, it's going to involve pain.

As I said, a root canal is a piece of cake *COMPARED WITH* the consequences of needing a root canal and not getting one.

Find a different doctor if the last one didn't make you feel comfortable. If you are expecting people to diagnose you on the internet and tell you that you don't need one, you're going to be disappointed. And the longer you wait to find out for sure what is needed, the more serious it can get.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:26 AM

lol.. calm down

not looking for a dx. Just asked what other peoples exeperience was with tmj SYNDROME.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:02 AM

I have TMJ Syndrome. So does my sister, and my mom. My mother and sister get migraines from it. My sister also sometimes gets an achy jaw when chewing. I get the clicking jaw thing, but no discomfort. Gum pain is not a symptom of TMJ syndrome.

And, you did ask for a dx:
Quote:
Now the pain moved to the left side and I couldnt open my jaw, then the pain moved to the right side, no longer on the left side. Yesterday the pain in my gums was on my bottom teeth. Today I am fine. What could this be?
It could be all kinds of things. Gum pain is not indicative of TMJ syndrome, however. It is not a very likely cause for your trouble. An endodontist would know best. If the one you have used in the past caused trauma, then find another one.

And actually, reading back, I notice I never said anything about root canals being a piece of cake. That was you claiming people say this. And it's true, when you compare it with other things that are far more traumatic. Such as, open-heart surgery without anasthesia. Or getting bitten by a dozen snakes. Or having a fingernail removed with a pliers. Root canals aren't fun. Recovery from a root canal isn't fun. The novacaine you need prior to the root canal is even less fun than the root canal. Unless you have to go to the bathroom while they're doing it. Then you have the humiliation of either peeing in your pants, or figuring out a way to make them stop so you can get up with this big rubber THING sticking out of your mouth, and visiting their bathroom in mid-procedure.

A root canal isn't that big of a deal unless you have a serious phobia (like I do). So if you have a serios phobia, then you ask for the nitrous. It doesn't make the procedure any less painful or uncomfortable, but it does make you completely not care how uncomfortable it is. If you don't have a phobia, and it's still a big deal, then there's something wrong with the doctor. Because really, a root canal isn't a big deal. It's not a piece of cake - compared, for instance, to a piece of cake. But it is mostly painless, mostly uncomfortable, and mostly over in an hour.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:26 AM

I know you didnt say a root canal is a piece of cake, but I hear that often. If root canals were a piece of cake they woudnt sedate people to do them. I won't do sedation except a valium or xanax.

anyway the last root canal I had done was by my brothers best friend. My brother sent me straight away from his office to his friends. It was his last day, he was retiering that exact same day so he fit me in and I think he was in a hurry.

Took him 2 hours, I had no sedation of any kind, which is fine i guess. but my throat got numb and I couldnt swallow, then they tilted me back and I felt like I was drowning from my own salavia.. very gross. Thats what bothered me most. That and the needle in the middle of the tooth half way through, like I said I am not phoblic of needles.. but that kind of bothered me a bit.

But if I end up needing a root canal so be it. I can take Xanax, I rather do that vs the gas. I had to go to a new dentist and found out he was out of network, so I need to call around today and find another one and have him/her decide. I was kind of hoping it was TMJ but I have been told I have a few really deep fillings and those usually end up with a root canal. oh well

Old 08-06-2010, 11:37 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
But it is mostly painless, mostly uncomfortable, and mostly over in an hour.
Well, maybe I am a rare person, but my experience with 2 roots canals on my back lower molars was extremely painful. I do not numb well due to anxiety, even while taking medication for it.

If you have a hot nerve going on, it is very painful. They had to shoot pain killers directly into that hot nerve. I think screaming and crying in pain is considered painful.

I wish I was one of those that could claim it was only uncomfortable. But I can not.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I don't get how the pain travels through all my teeth at sepeate times and my jaw will hurt where the pain shoot in the back of my head and neck, giving me kind of a stiff neck.

Cupcake, do you have sinus problems, or when you had the flu did you also have cold type symptoms? Sinus problems can cause pain in the gums, jaw, forehead, etc. You may want to get checked out by your doctor.

I have TMJ problems, but what you are experiencing is not typical for me.

Be sure and take care of that tooth once you are sure what the problem is.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:05 PM

Thats the problem, the pain moves around. I cant say which tooth it is. I can eat fine, no tooth hurts when I eat. Today for example the front lower teeth bother me. it's madness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness