Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 12:49 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,309 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I wear orthotics pretty much fulltime for my high arches. I skipped the inserts for 2-3 days a week or so ago to wear some new sandals, and I have been waking up in agony every night since with cramps in my calves, ankle area, and feet. It is some of the worse pain I have had in my life. Trying to stretch or rub it myself does not seem to do much. This has continued even after I went back to orthotics-only. I am beginning to dread going to bed. Has anyone had this and what was your diagnosis if any? I am wondering about plantar fasciitis but I thought that is usually feet only, especially heels?[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 08:09 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneful View Post
[SIZE=3]I wear orthotics pretty much fulltime for my high arches. I skipped the inserts for 2-3 days a week or so ago to wear some new sandals, and I have been waking up in agony every night since with cramps in my calves, ankle area, and feet. It is some of the worse pain I have had in my life. Trying to stretch or rub it myself does not seem to do much. This has continued even after I went back to orthotics-only. I am beginning to dread going to bed. Has anyone had this and what was your diagnosis if any? I am wondering about plantar fasciitis but I thought that is usually feet only, especially heels?[/SIZE]
My guess is you stretched your tendons when you skipped the orthotics and now you paying for your venture into the fashion world. Tendons heal slowly and often need a doctors attention to heal correctly so I'd say a doctors visit in the best thing for you to do now so that your feet heal right.

Oh yes, throw those damn sandals away!

Old 08-06-2010, 06:49 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,243 times
Some potassium might help with the cramping. Not those little 99mg pills though, eat some bananas or avacados.

Doing some runner's stretches might help too, but try it slowly and stop if it hurts much, in case it is a tendon thing.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:55 PM

293 posts, read 1,035,402 times
I have also heard that a little bit of mustard or pickle juice can help. Just a bit. Google it, athletes do it I think. Maybe you can google and find out more.
Magnesium can help and a warm bath. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:28 AM

265 posts, read 1,063,309 times
Thank you for your thoughts.
I am back on my orthotics--no exceptions--I think I worsened my situation by "walking" down a long escalator flight last WWed. to save time (getting to the subway). Seems like opposite of shin splints. My calfs have been sore in the few days since. BTW I am not sedentary. I exercise (gently--as I have fibromyalgia) 3-4 times a week.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:35 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,309,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Some potassium might help with the cramping. Not those little 99mg pills though, eat some bananas or avacados.

Doing some runner's stretches might help too, but try it slowly and stop if it hurts much, in case it is a tendon thing.

Good advice. Calcium also, in addition to potassium and magnesium.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:48 AM

92 posts, read 345,673 times
I know this sounds crazy but I swear it works! Put a bar of soap (the thin kind you find at a hotel, or cut a bar of soap into slices if you have to) and put it in your socks when you go to bed at night. You won't have any more aches or pains in your legs or feet and if you happen to have poor circulation it will help that too.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:05 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
I have had plantar fasciitis before and it doesn't sound like that from what you are describing. Do you see a podiatrist? You probably do if you're already wearing orthotics, but if not, I would definitely suggest a trip.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:10 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Housing...I will not go into detail of my foot/leg problem but did try the small piece of bar soap in the sock treatment last night and did have a reasonable pain free nights sleep compared to other nights. Will continue the routine for a few nights and then see what the results are. I for one will not laugh at any possible form of treatment that may work.

I have one that worked for me when my kids were small...and yes...some will laugh.

My kids (seven) were always coming down with a cold and passing it to their siblings. I heard and tried a method of a smelly sock tied around their neck at bed time and in the morning the head cold was better. The oldest had a RED nose at night and in the morning it was gone. I know it sounds crazy...but it worked.

Thanx for the soap suggestion.

Steve

Old 08-11-2010, 04:40 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,046,783 times
This works for me when I get those very painful leg cramps ~~ get out of bed ASAP and drink as much water as you can ~~ at least 8 ounces ~ and then walk around the room until the pain subsides.

In my case I suspect dehydration resulting in the leg pain and whenever I maintain enough daily water, as well as my calcium/magnesium I'm pain free. Whenever I slack off on the water I suffer the pain !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness