U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 12:50 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,957,836 times

Advertisements

There's a guy at work who constantly smells like rotten taco meat. My question is WHY does someone choose to walk around smelling like s--t? Is taking a shower taking too much time away from their schedule? I mean, come on...take a 5 minute shower or something. No deodorant or anything. One day it was so bad, I literally gagged. Is there something I can do about it, like complain to management? Can they actually force someone to take a shower? What can be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 01:47 PM

8,415 posts, read 36,076,806 times
Most places have a hygiene clause in the employment contract but he could have a medical issue. Don't be rude. Let management handle it.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:13 PM

9,936 posts, read 16,545,479 times
Do speak with management and let them handle it.

Many years ago, my dh was "chosen" as the member of management to approach an employee and basically tell her she stunk. He was chosen because he had the most tact of the group. He did manage to convey to her that she had offensive odor. she claimed she wasn't aware of it, and did change her hygiene.

Some people simply don't smell themselves and have no idea how it affects others. Others overuse scented body products and they clash, creating unacceptable odors. At any rate, that's management's problem, let them handle it.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:28 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,198,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Do speak with management and let them handle it.

Many years ago, my dh was "chosen" as the member of management to approach an employee and basically tell her she stunk. He was chosen because he had the most tact of the group. He did manage to convey to her that she had offensive odor. she claimed she wasn't aware of it, and did change her hygiene.

Some people simply don't smell themselves and have no idea how it affects others. Others overuse scented body products and they clash, creating unacceptable odors. At any rate, that's management's problem, let them handle it.
yes, let management handle this. if that fails contact your human resources dept. since this is a health issue.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:23 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,901,167 times
There is actually a medical condiiton, forget the name, saw it on Medical Incredible, that causes a person to stink.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:00 PM

9,936 posts, read 16,545,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
There's a guy at work who constantly smells like rotten taco meat. My question is WHY does someone choose to walk around smelling like s--t? Is taking a shower taking too much time away from their schedule? I mean, come on...take a 5 minute shower or something. No deodorant or anything. One day it was so bad, I literally gagged. Is there something I can do about it, like complain to management? Can they actually force someone to take a shower? What can be done?

If he really smells like s**t, it could be because he either doesn't change his underwear, or simply doesn't wipe himself. We're going through this now with our ds 13, he doesn't wipe, and doesn't care, and he does stink. He says "it my body". Yes, but he's losing every friend he ever had. That's another issue, but some people simply don't attend to their hygiene and think its their right to stink, if others don't like it, that;s their problem. That's my ds attitude.

But if its affecting the workplace, you have every right to ask it be adjusted. I just thought, since you might be hesitant to approach management, we never know what cart we're upsetting, is there an annonymous way to do so, perhaps a "suggestion box" or some annonymous way to let management know so-and-so stinks?

Old 08-07-2010, 07:02 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,957,836 times
How about putting a gift basket of soaps and shampoo's on his desk before he comes in for work?

Old 08-08-2010, 01:36 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,606,888 times
All the work place killings lately I'd leave it up to management . Like someone said he could be sick or just nuts .

Old 08-08-2010, 02:34 PM

65 posts, read 199,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
All the work place killings lately I'd leave it up to management . Like someone said he could be sick or just nuts .

LMAO,i know its not funny but i think the time is gonna come where some person hurts a lot of people all due to someone conveying a simple request to please do something because they 'stank'.imagine the news when the report comes that nine people perished due to someone being told they have an offensive odor and the person going postal.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:47 AM

12,535 posts, read 22,519,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I don't know how anyone can not shower every day or at least every other day. There are times when I miss a day; but by the next morning I feel so raunchy; I can't do anything until I shower. Last week my adult son didn't take a shower until Monday night - Friday was his last shower; his excuse was he didn't sweat. Thankfully he did not smell because if he did, I would have marched his butt back upstairs to shower. He did change his clothing every day.

You can usually tell if it's a lack of shower or due to something like wearing the same clothes without washing them or yes.. wiping. Imagine how bad the house smells because you know it has to.

For "kids" that don't wipe correctly, baby wipes in the bathroom, on top of the tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness