U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 03:24 PM

10,139 posts, read 23,986,379 times

Advertisements

You either have a brain tumor or are two clicks away from a stroke. Seek help. Ask for an MRI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:46 PM

1,256 posts, read 3,071,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
You either have a brain tumor or are two clicks away from a stroke. Seek help. Ask for an MRI.
That's probably streaching it a bit far, though medical attention is certainly warranted.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:13 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,883,841 times
Beer and wine are both fermented; if he's getting headaches only after drinking fermented drinks, it's probably the yeast.

He also didn't mention how long it takes for him to drink his drinks. He said in his first post - "if" he drinks 3 drinks at 8, he'll have a headache at 10. Is he guzzling down all three drinks, one after the other, maybe within a half hour total? Is he sucking the first one down like it's a tall glass of water, rather than taking his time to sip and savor it?

If he's drinking it fast, his problem might be solved simply by slowing down. He keeps talking about when the buzz wears off - well if you're only having one drink, and taking your time drinking it. you're not very likely to get a buzz at all. UNLESS you're drinking it too fast.

Slow down. Also, don't drink alcohol on an empty stomach. Lastly, make sure you're drinking *water* throughout the day, and not just waiting for beer time to have liquids.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Beer and wine are both fermented; if he's getting headaches only after drinking fermented drinks, it's probably the yeast.

He also didn't mention how long it takes for him to drink his drinks. He said in his first post - "if" he drinks 3 drinks at 8, he'll have a headache at 10. Is he guzzling down all three drinks, one after the other, maybe within a half hour total? Is he sucking the first one down like it's a tall glass of water, rather than taking his time to sip and savor it?

If he's drinking it fast, his problem might be solved simply by slowing down. He keeps talking about when the buzz wears off - well if you're only having one drink, and taking your time drinking it. you're not very likely to get a buzz at all. UNLESS you're drinking it too fast.

Slow down. Also, don't drink alcohol on an empty stomach. Lastly, make sure you're drinking *water* throughout the day, and not just waiting for beer time to have liquids.
Good points. However, if he were getting headaches from yeast, wouldn't he get headaches from eating bread, etc.?

Old 08-09-2010, 08:04 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,883,841 times
Not usually, though bread -dough- might cause him to get a headache. It's the fermented part of the situation that might cause the headache, not the yeast itself.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Not usually, though bread -dough- might cause him to get a headache. It's the fermented part of the situation that might cause the headache, not the yeast itself.
Ah, I see. So, eat some brerad dough, and let us know how that works for ya.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:28 PM

293 posts, read 913,208 times
The yeast in beer gives a lot of people headaches.

Just stop drinking it so you will feel better. If you keep getting headaches see your doctor. Take care.

I get a headache if I have chocolate so I don't eat chocolate. I miss it!

Old 08-09-2010, 08:46 PM

10,139 posts, read 23,986,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
That's probably streaching it a bit far, though medical attention is certainly warranted.
I was just telling my experience. My mother used to have a Manhattan every day when she got home from work. One drink that's all. Then she started getting a headache from the drink so she stopped. A couple months later she passed out at work and turned out she had a brain tumor.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:23 AM

21,000 posts, read 21,111,539 times
nitrates are another common cause.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Hello...I am writing about a frustrating problem I continue to encounter.
Everytime I drink, even if it is one single beer or other alcoholic beverage, I will get a headache.

It does not happen instantly, rather say at 8 PM I have a beer...I feel relaxed...then an hour later...as the alcohol leaves my system...I start to get an annoying headache which usually lasts an hour or so.

If I have 3 drinks at 8 PM...then again...as soon as the alcohol/buzz starts leaving my system...I get a headache...and it will last even longer.
Headaches start once the buzz is done and the alcohol leaves and lasts depending on how long the process takes (1 drink 1 hour...3 drinks even longer).

I'm a 26 year old 180 lb pound male.
I do take medication:

AM (1500 MG of Depakote in the + 300 MG Trileptal)*
PM/Before Bed (600 MG Trileptal)

*Recently was on 50 MG Luvox but just stopped this week

I'm not much of a drinker...it's not like I am getting drunk. This is really an inconveince...I think i am entitled to have a drink without feeling like crap.
I'm wondering why I seem to be the only person who has this issue.
Do any of you have any ideas as to why this is occurring and what I can do to solve the problem?

Is it the meds I take?
If so...which ones OR is it the interaction between both.
If I dropped one of these meds OR switched the times and took Depakote Before Bed (AFTER DRINKING) would this help?
Or is there some special hangover pill I need to take?

Thanks.

I think you may suffer from a condition known as "Cluster Headache." Cluster headache - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Though the Wiki does not mention alcohol as a trigger, I have seen it to be so, as have many other sufferers. Here is what I have discovered: Water....LOTS of water, is a preventative. So is Gatorade. Caffeine or energy drinks can prevent a headache from getting worse. Water has a preventative effect if consumed copiously throughout the day. Marijuana is the ONLY thing I have found which actually totally shuts these things down. I mean, it never fails to take my breath away how quickly and finally the headache gets cut off. Others take oxygen at high levels. The one thing I know is that typical pain meds do NOTHING to a cluster. Even pharmaceutical grade morphine is ineffective.
As ar as I can determine, cluster headaches happen when the trigeminal nerve gets pressed by the transverse pontine vein due to venous dialation from consumption of vasodilators such as alcohol, being cold, Monosodium Glutamate, Nitrates, heart pills, etc. Conversely, vasoconstrictors such as caffeine, oxygen, hot weather and antihistamines such as cortisone have been used to treat clusters successfully.
Good luck, and I hope I'm wrong about this. It has been said by many, including mothers, that cluster headaches are the worst pain known to humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness