U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 05:34 PM

5,334 posts, read 11,505,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
By the way, Granny, I don't know how old you are, but until recently, the first number of your blood pressure could be as high as your age plus 100 and the doctors did not get concerned about it. It is a natural reaction to the aging process. Due to the fact that your circulatory system looses elasticity when you age, your heart has to push a little harder to compensate. In order to get enough blood (and oxygen) to your brain.

If you are under 65, then I might be a *tiny* bit concerned (but not much), but if you are over 65 it shouldn't even be a consideration.

Nobody has died from blood pressure that is 175 over 120.

20yrsinBranson
Please stop posting dangerous misinformation about subjects about which you have NO understanding....

175/120 is a BP that should concern someone of ANY age.....

"The relationship between BP and risk of CVD events is continuous, consistent,and independent of other risk factors. The higher the BP, the greater is the chance of heart attack, heart failure, stroke, and kidney disease. For individuals 40–70 years of age, each increment of 20 mmHg in systolic BP (SBP) or 10 mmHg in diastolic BP (DBP) doubles the risk of CVD across the entire BPrange from 115/75 to 185/115 mmHg."

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/...on/express.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 10:21 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,802,427 times
I know the guidelines for healthy numbers have changed as I see that daily, but the 'normal' values I see have seen across the board on up to 80 and 90 year olds on no meds. I see 20 year olds with numbers in the 140s over 80s. I don't want to take the meds if I don't have to, but I'm not putting blinders on either. Mine was too high especially when figuring in risk factors like smoking, no exercise on a regular basis, age, and also a family history of heart disease in my sister had a massive heart attack at the age of 32, and in the last 11 years has had 3 heart stents with the first one being replaced last fall.

I have never read so many food labels and started to try to count the sodium today.

So I did about 1.5 miles on treadmill today in 30 minutes...before BP was 148/101 about 1/2 hour after 2 cups of coffee. After BP was 128/96 and also after about 2 pints of water..go figure. Now I need to quit my coffee too...Now I am back to the stress, or anticipation of it...

I really appreciate the links and advice...every little bit helps

Old 08-11-2010, 10:38 PM

25,303 posts, read 30,123,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I know the guidelines for healthy numbers have changed as I see that daily, but the 'normal' values I see have seen across the board on up to 80 and 90 year olds on no meds. I see 20 year olds with numbers in the 140s over 80s. I don't want to take the meds if I don't have to, but I'm not putting blinders on either. Mine was too high especially when figuring in risk factors like smoking, no exercise on a regular basis, age, and also a family history of heart disease in my sister had a massive heart attack at the age of 32, and in the last 11 years has had 3 heart stents with the first one being replaced last fall.

I hope you have discussed your family history with your doctor and know your own cholesterol numbers.

I have never read so many food labels and started to try to count the sodium today.

A good place to start is by just not adding salt to what you cook.

So I did about 1.5 miles on treadmill today in 30 minutes...before BP was 148/101 about 1/2 hour after 2 cups of coffee. After BP was 128/96 and also after about 2 pints of water..go figure. Now I need to quit my coffee too...Now I am back to the stress, or anticipation of it...

Do not obsess about the blood pressure numbers. Variation is normal! Take it after you have been sitting quietly for 10 to 15 minutes. Do not check it multiple times a day. Do record the readings for your doctor.

There is really no very good evidence that coffee has a significant effect on BP. You may want to cut back or gradually go to decaf, but I do not think you have to give it up altogether.

I really appreciate the links and advice...every little bit helps
You are welcome!

Old 08-12-2010, 05:59 AM

3,627 posts, read 13,146,764 times
We are here anytime! It is tough - I made some major changes and one of mine is trying to give up bread - both because of the sodium they put in it and because I think I may have some gluten intolerance..................

I would be sure to keep a log so that when you do go to the doctor you can show actions and progress. Mine was very open to me going off BP meds when she saw my graph of daily BPs and I took my cuff to her office for a side by side comparison (as it is often higher in a doctors office)

Old 08-12-2010, 12:05 PM

42,835 posts, read 80,635,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Please stop posting dangerous misinformation about subjects about which you have NO understanding....
Why don't YOU educate yourself before making sweeping statements?!

Amazon.com: The High Blood Pressure Hoax (9781887202053): Sherry A. Rogers: Books

Amazon.com: The Doctor Is Out! Exposing the High Blood Pressure, Low Thyroid and…

Old 08-12-2010, 01:14 PM

15,849 posts, read 31,208,356 times
Great links! Thank you. I have always said that most medicines (with a few stellar exceptions) do more harm than good. I have known many, many, many people on high blood pressure medicine (haven't we all?) and I would not want to be like that. I am not saying that EVERYBODY becomes a blithering, brain-dead idiot, but I've seen enough who do to know I don't want any part of it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-12-2010, 02:07 PM

3,627 posts, read 13,146,764 times
Since the OP is changing lifestyle are there issues with reducing salt, excercising, and quitting smoking, and reducing caffeine that are problematic?

So a minority of doctors believe that high blood pressure is safer than the medications. I think the intent her is to change lifestyle to offset a need to even face the issue. Maybe the thread should not be taken off on a tangent.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:12 PM

25,303 posts, read 30,123,291 times

It appears that the author of the first book. Sherry A. Rogers, had a problem with her New York medical license: http://www.casewatch.org/board/med/rogers.pdf .

And the husband and wife authors of the second book believe that wearing bras causes breast cancer.

Who do YOU want to believe? A doctor whose license was suspended for incompetence? A couple who believes clothing causes cancer?

Old 08-12-2010, 04:10 PM

I am educated on the subject, apparently a lot more than you as well...

Those links are pure garbage

Old 08-12-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Great links! Thank you. I have always said that most medicines (with a few stellar exceptions) do more harm than good. I have known many, many, many people on high blood pressure medicine (haven't we all?) and I would not want to be like that. I am not saying that EVERYBODY becomes a blithering, brain-dead idiot, but I've seen enough who do to know I don't want any part of it.

20yrsinBranson
Talk about ridiculous sweeping generalizations.....there is NO evidence to corroborate the fantasy that MOST medications do more harm than good...

The link between hypertension and CAD, CVA and renal disease is not open for debate....it is fact....pure and simple. Regardless of the "fiction" out there written by certifiable quacks to the contrary.

Again....the OP should be encouraged to do everything possible in regards to lifestyle changes to lower her BP but if medication is required to reach a safer level it should NOT be disregarded based on the posts of seriously uneducated and uninformed posters that have ridiculous agendas regarding western medicine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness