U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 01:47 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,375,751 times

Advertisements

I'm genuinely considering doing this. I've done extensive research and think it's a good way for me to "give back" so to speak and help couples that really want children, and can't have them on their own. I already have a four year old and I'm done. I can honestly say I never want anymore kids. I love my son, to death, but it was hard and I'm not doing it again. So, why not help others? The way I see it is that my eggs are literally wasting away. What are your views on the topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 01:51 PM

207 posts, read 877,637 times
It's pretty creepy, I would never consider doing it. It takes a toll on your body, a lot of the chemicals they make you take could cause some serious damage so that you might not be able to have any more kids even if you someday decided you wanted them. They do pay you a substantial amount of money, but it just seems too much like prostitution to me. I would never feel comfortable with the thought that I have children out there somewhere that I'll never know about. But if that doesn't bother you then I guess it's a nice thing to do for someone else.

On another note, having grown up as an only child I would never wish that misery on anyone else. You might consider having another baby just for the sake of your son, because seriously it was the worst thing that ever happened to me. I have never met another only child who was well-adjusted and happy. Having siblings is one of life's greatest blessings that I am sad I will never be able to experience.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:59 PM

But, it's not your child - genetically yes, but your not the one carrying it, nor is your partner the one fertilizing it. It would just look like you, and that's a maybe.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:58 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,044,344 times
I had an acquaintence who did it and felt really good about it. But the side effects of the whole process were rough on her, physically. It is not something I would want to go through.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:59 AM

3,432 posts, read 3,613,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
But, it's not your child - genetically yes, but your not the one carrying it, nor is your partner the one fertilizing it. It would just look like you, and that's a maybe.

So what if you're not the one carrying it. It is your biological child. It is a part of you. How could you live knowing you several children out there?

Old 08-13-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
So what if you're not the one carrying it. It is your biological child. It is a part of you. How could you live knowing you several children out there?
I really think I would be okay with it. If I'm helping someone else out, why not? I find it selfish that I'm wasting my eggs b/c there's no way in hell I want another child. I'm all about helping others. I'm a Sag, it's what we do.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:10 AM

12,576 posts, read 22,536,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
I really think I would be okay with it. If I'm helping someone else out, why not? I find it selfish that I'm wasting my eggs b/c there's no way in hell I want another child. I'm all about helping others. I'm a Sag, it's what we do.
I commented in another similar post.

My issue is not with the donation; it would be later on if I had my own kids & they possibly met /fell in love with one of their siblings without knowing it. It does happen.

In my 30's, I learned my "mother" gave my 1/2 brother up.
I eventually found him; & found he lived fairly close to us & used to drive by our gas station. How weird it would have been had he stopped & been one of the customers that tried to pick me up. He's fairly close in age to my hubby; so even though he's 6 years older then me, he's within dating range.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:06 AM

4,521 posts, read 3,761,358 times
I did this a few years ago (twice for the same couple). The process was a bit tedious, but I won't call it painful. I went the independent route (NOT through an agency); I never met the couple, but we conversed by email. I found the experience to be really rewarding...Fast forward to today: I have zero interest in finding/locating the child and don't feel it's "mine".

The injections aren't painful.....just a little pinch....I did them in my belly where they was extra fat to grab and avoid pain. After my first process, the recovery afterwards was the PITS.....(found out I was overstimulated). It was AGONY.......feels like the WORSE gas cramps. Thankfully, with children's Advil (per the doc), I was okay after a few hours. Second time, no pain to speak of at all.

If you find this is something you want to do, I say go for it. There are a lot of couples out there who would be incredibly grateful to you for helping them start/complete their family.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:25 PM

8,415 posts, read 36,083,679 times
I would not do it for the health risks. You are no good to your 4 year old if it triggers terminal cancer. People that have that kind of money should adopt anyway. Not purchase an egg. There are plenty of babies out there that need good homes. The fact that someone wants to purchase a newborn instead of adopt an already needy child makes it extremely twisted to me. And that they are fine with possibly making the donor ill.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:16 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,530,942 times
Several young women I know of have gotten cancers soon after their donations (one has died). One who goes to a breast cancer support group says that about half of the young women in her group have had IVF treatment, or were egg donors (both use the same drugs). I wouldn't mess with it since nobody has done enough research on the subject, although they will invariable tell you that there is no evidence. Well, there isn't evidence because they haven't done any large population studies for enough years to make a conclusion. If you don't mind threat of cancer hanging over your head - sure, go for it. There have also been deaths and near-deaths for undetected internal bleeding. They send you home after the procedure and you could literally bleed to death while driving home, with nobody to help you. These are "rare", sure... but why play with fate when you are a young, healthy woman with a child to take care of?

Read this:
http://www.jewishjournal.com/cover_s..._egg_20090311/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness