Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 02:19 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,633 times

Advertisements

Anybody out there have any experience with this IUC, I have a friend who recently received this and we are trying to find out others experiences. She's to stop her periods in the perfect world and not suppose to gain exta pounds.

So we need input please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 08:11 PM

402 posts, read 2,210,773 times
There's a thread if you look a couple (1-3) pages back; I'd personally recommend it (and have comments there). I have read a lot of women gaining weight on it, I have not.

MINDLESS!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 10,385 times
I recieved the iuc about a month ago and my menestraul days went from three to seven has this happened to anyone.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:45 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,110 times
I was considering Mirena right after my daughter was born in 2006, but my insurance won't cover it. Since then, my doc has described a few women who experience menorrhagia (heavy bleeding) or constant breakthrough bleeding and want theirs removed, so I have decided not to pay out of pocket for this expensive device in case I have side effects.

(My personal options are very limited due to nursing)

Old 03-28-2008, 01:32 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,300 times
I had a Mirena IUD for around 16 months for treatment of menorraghia associated with endometrial hyperplasia which it was very successful at controlling. However I had it removed because I discovered that some women experience hair loss and I was one of those women.
I also found I had more severe cramping during my cycle, bloating and weight gain. Since it has been removed I have lost a significant amount of weight very easily, my hair is no longer falling out and I feel much better than I have in a while. Thankfully the menorraghia has also stopped.

So I suppose I have a mixed opinion of the Mirena. The side effects will be different for everyone and I was very happy that it controlled the menorraghia for me but not at the expense of my hair.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 9,492 times
i have had the mirena for 14 months, it caused me to have problems with constant bleeding, mood swings, anxiety attacks, constipation,. i didn't know a iuc can or could of caused all that. but i didn't get pregnant so.... but im opting to get it taken out and try for a new birth control method.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 9,326 times
I have the Mirena IUC and lately feel like a psycho path! All of a sudden I am having mood swings like crazy, about stupid stuff! I am more stressed than normal b/c of my upcoming wedding, but not enough to make me insane.I also feel like I have gained alot more weight. What the hell??????? Oh and my hair falls out like crazy! The problem is that I LOVE not having my period and not having to worry about becoming pregnant. Has anyone out there experienced these symptoms?

Old 01-07-2009, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 9,046 times
Hi my name is Kayla, i have had the iuc for about a year but last month i missed my period and i feel like i am prego. but i stop and think CAN I GET PREGO WITH THE IUC?? i am so scared and dont know what to do can anyone help? I dont understand why i missed my period i have had then like normal with it for the last year. Thank you!

Old 01-07-2009, 11:59 AM

973 posts, read 3,304,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
Anybody out there have any experience with this IUC, I have a friend who recently received this and we are trying to find out others experiences. She's to stop her periods in the perfect world and not suppose to gain exta pounds.

So we need input please
I've had 2 of them in the last 8 years.

With the first one, I had NO Problems. EVER!!! The best thing since sliced bread, IMHO. Not only did I have No Periods (YEA!!!), I had no back-aches, cramps or weight gain. It stayed in for the recommended 5 years then I got a new one.

Number 2 hasn't been quite as fun to have around as the first one. I had non-stop bleeding for the 18 months, but still no bachaches, cramps or weight gain. The doctor kept telling me the bleeding would eventually stop.

When I moved, I went to a new doctor who told me that often when there are issues with bleeding and an IUD, it is caused by an infection affiliated with those devices. That was the case for me. She prescribed a 10 day cycle of meds and all is right in my world, once again. The bleeding stopped.

On a side note: My husband swears that I still have mood swings each month but he one of those guys that thinks that no matter what.

IUD's (or IUC's) are like anything else. You have to find what works best with your own body. They are not for everyone. Some folks do better with the patch or pills but if you want convenience and something cost effective, try an IUD. I paid a $35 co-pay for the doctors visit and I don't have to do anything for 5 years. No pills to remember.

Also, don't forget that even though IUD's are a Device, they still have hormones (progesterone) that is slowly released. Some women who are sensitive to progesterone may experience difficulties with an IUD as opposed to an Estrogen-based contraceptive.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:07 PM

973 posts, read 3,304,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IUCMom View Post
Hi my name is Kayla, i have had the iuc for about a year but last month i missed my period and i feel like i am prego. but i stop and think CAN I GET PREGO WITH THE IUC?? i am so scared and dont know what to do can anyone help? I dont understand why i missed my period i have had then like normal with it for the last year. Thank you!
It doesn't mean that you are pregnant. It is common for periods to become sporadic or stop completely when using IUD's. You may only experience light spotting also at some point. Again, this is common.

However, with that said, it isn't impossible to become pregnant with any contraceptive. The effectiveness of most contraceptives is anywhere from 97-99%, depending on what it is.

Put your mind at ease and do a home pregnancy test or see your doctor. If your periods don't start up right away, don't panic. You may be one of the many whose periods go on a temporary hiatus when using the IUD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness