Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 10:26 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
NewHomeHappy: BTW: I have a case of Splenda in my pantry. Use it in coffee. I'm having an MRI tomorrow to find the cause of the pain in the back of my head. Not blaming Splenda but it's making me THINK & WONDER.
I'm glad I found this thread! I remember when aspartame came out and I have often had an aversion to "new and improved" products, especially if they are chemically-forumlated.

I was working at the University of Washington in Seattle in 1989/1990, and I worked with a woman who had a neurological disorder. She was obtaining her Ph.D. (no dummy), although she had to see a neurologist on a regular basis. She often had seizures, and they were trying to control them. Well, because I am an avid reader, I had come across information about aspartame and its effects on the brain.

I also noticed that this woman was consuming many, many cans of Diet Pepsi at work! She was really having problems and more and more seizures and she said she had to see her neurologist. So, I asked her how many diet drinks she consumed -- well, she was drinking at least one an hour! I mean, she was going through probably 2 six packs a day!

I mentioned to her that I had read some recent studies about negative effects on the brain from aspartame and didn't her neurologist suggest that she not drink diet sodas?? She looked at me quizzically and asked what I was referring to. Of course, Google wasn't big (or around) then, so I had to go to the library and photocopied the information I had read. She was shocked!!

She wondered why her neurologist had never mentioned this before!! So, she took the material, and I think the neurologist brushed it aside, but....to her credit, she quit drinking diet drinks! Well, lo and behold, within 2 months her seizures stopped!! She couldn't believe it. I doubt if her doctor saw the correlation, but she certainly did, and she was very grateful to receive that information.

My rule of thumb is to eat what is naturally in nature - we know that was made for us. If it's not a natural product, be cautious. And I'm with CitybytheBay....a little sugar (it's only 12 calories for a teaspoon), is just as good.

For me, I don't like plain water, so I generally drink carbonated water or mineral water with a little squeeze of lemon or lime in it -- no sweeteners. And just this afternoon, my daughter and I ate out at a local vegetarian restaurant, and decided to get a "spritzer," however, we both agreed it was too sweet because we were used to either drinking water with a squeeze of lemon or lime, or a little juice added to it -- but no additional sweetener.

At any rate, this whole thing with the woman I worked with was at that time 1990, and I never allowed my daughter to drink diet drinks, or eat yogurt with aspartame or anything like that. Besides, I worked in hospitals for a long time, and I saw things that will never be reported to the public, and I don't trust all those so-called "medical experts," so for me....natural is the way to go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 01:41 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
Do u know anything about Splenda? Is Sweet-n-low the same thing as Nurti sweet? Thank u for the information. When I have more time I will read that article more carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness