Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 06:14 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times

Advertisements

My husband has been living in Florida for 6 years. I have been here 3 years. We are originally from NY. We are both 62.

All the time we were in NY he was always hot. Turned down the heat, would go outside in just a heavy shirt in 40 degrees, etc. I was the opppsite. Turning up the heat, wearing sweaters in the house, etc.

Since we have lived in Florida, we have gone in opposite directions. He is outside in the heat and it doesn't bother him. He keeps raising the AC to 80 and turning off the fans. I am dripping outside, and inside if the AC is at 80 degrees. When I turn it down to about 75, he complains he is shivering.

He is 225 lbs. I am 103 lbs. I would think he, especially how he used to be up North, and with all his natural insulation would be hotter than me. He think I AM the one who has something wrong with them. I don't think sweating at 80 degrees, let alone 90, indicates a problem. I do think "shivering" at 75 degrees does indicate something is wrong, especially for someone who is 225 lbs.

When we were at my daughter's house last winter and she had her heat set at 62 degrees, he sat in the house wearing a winter jacket! I had on jeans and a sweatshirt and was quite comfortable.

Who has something wrong with them, him or me?

Last edited by TANaples; 08-12-2010 at 06:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 06:51 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
My husband has been living in Florida for 6 years. I have been here 3 years. We are originally from NY. We are both 62.

All the time we were in NY he was always hot. Turned down the heat, would go outside in just a heavy shirt in 40 degrees, etc. I was the opppsite. Turning up the heat, wearing sweaters in the house, etc.

Since we have lived in Florida, we have gone in opposite directions. He is outside in the heat and it doesn't bother him. He keeps raising the AC to 80 and turning off the fans. I am dripping outside, and inside if the AC is at 80 degrees. When I turn it down to about 75, he complains he is shivering.

He is 225 lbs. I am 103 lbs. I would think he, especially how he used to be up North, and with all his natural insulation would be hotter than me. He think I AM the one who has something wrong with them. I don't think sweating at 80 degrees, let alone 90, indicates a problem. I do think "shivering" at 75 degrees does indicate something is wrong, especially for someone who is 225 lbs.

When we were at my daughter's house last winter and she had her heat set at 62 degrees, he sat in the house wearing a winter jacket! I had on jeans and a sweatshirt and was quite comfortable.

He needs his thyroid tested --- get yours done too!

Actually, cold intolerance can be a symptom of an underactive thyroid.
See here: Hey, guys, have that thyroid tested: more women than men develop thyroid problems. But it's still an important consideration for men as they watch their health - Vibrant Life Articles | Find Articles at CBS MoneyWatch.com

My husband is 66 years old. He has hypothyriodism related to having his face irradiated for acne. I know --- archaic, but true.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:42 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,369 times
I thought thyroid, too. Extra weight can indicate hypothyroidism in conjunction with other symptoms; one of them being feeling cold.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:50 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
What medications is your husband on? If he is on anything for blood pressure then that explains why he is always cold. You are also at an age for menopause which makes most women hotter. My parents, now in their mid-60's crack me up. Go over and dad is wearing a full sweatsuit and mom will be in a t-shirt and shorts or pants. He is on blood pressure meds and she is on hormones as well as morphine for her back problems. Even now w/ my husband and I in our 40's with him on blood pressure medication and me going thru some changes I'm always hot and he is cooler at night.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:57 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,925,748 times
My parents sound like you guys. He used to be hot, she used to be cold all the time. Not only is my dad on bp meds, he's also got anemia now so that's probably why he's the one who's cold all the time now, and now it's my mom that's hot (probably menopause I'd imagine but don't know for sure since she won't set a foot inside a doctor's office--meaning maybe there's another reason why she's hot all the time besides the menopause). Sounds like your guys' situation is pretty common.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:41 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times
My thyroid is fine and I am cool in an 80 degree house. I am also 217 so very close to his weight. Only med I take is omeprazole and a statin.-- working to get off both of those -- I was on BP meds but have been off since the end of May.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:20 AM

19,514 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Quote:

Wow!! That's quite a switcheroo that you both did.
I wonder if we moved further North, if that could happen for us.
I'm the cold one (hypothyroid issues) and he's the one who runs hot.
What the person who posted about getting your thyroid checked can be very important for both of you. Let your new doctor know how it was for you both in your previous location. Good luck.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:26 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:

I agree that he should have his thyroid tested.
My hub is like this since having radiation on his throat. From what I've researched on this, it's the thyroid on it's way out from radiation damage; but the damage usually doesn't show the 1st year after treatment.

Our AC is on 75.. my hub walks around with a winter coat too while we're all sweating.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:11 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,577,641 times
My sister and I grew up where the winters were long and cold. (We are only 2 years apart) She loved the cold weather, I hated it. We moved to the deep south when we were in our 20's and we had the same problem you and your husband have. She would be sweating and complaining it was SO HOT while I would be on the sofa under a quilt complaining it was so cold.

I don't think there is anything "wrong" with either one of us... we are just different. I just think our internal thermostats are at different settings simply because we are different people.

Just like everyone has a different body clock, some only needing 6 hours of sleep at night and others needing a lot more... we also have different thermostats. The problem is how do we live together and both be happy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness